Trailer plans

Old June 23rd 19, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Geoff Minors

Default Trailer plans

Looks like the trailer for my Open Cirrus is falling apart from its trip across Canada!!
I am thinking I should build a new trailer myself which I have no problem with.
Are there any plans out there I can purchase or scrounge? Thinking of a clam type shell trailer.
Thank for help.

Geoffrey
Old June 23rd 19, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 11:50:44 AM UTC-4, Geoff Minors wrote:
Looks like the trailer for my Open Cirrus is falling apart from its trip across Canada!!
I am thinking I should build a new trailer myself which I have no problem with.
Are there any plans out there I can purchase or scrounge? Thinking of a clam type shell trailer.
Thank for help.

Geoffrey

There are two fiberglass clamshell tops for sale on Wings and Wheels. Building the frame should be easy enough.

PA
Old June 23rd 19, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 11:31:30 AM UTC-6, Paul Agnew wrote:
On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 11:50:44 AM UTC-4, Geoff Minors wrote:
Looks like the trailer for my Open Cirrus is falling apart from its trip across Canada!!
I am thinking I should build a new trailer myself which I have no problem with.
Are there any plans out there I can purchase or scrounge? Thinking of a clam type shell trailer.
Thank for help.

Geoffrey

There are two fiberglass clamshell tops for sale on Wings and Wheels. Building the frame should be easy enough.

PA

One would have to figure out how to stretch these shells offered on W&W, since they are set-up for a 15m trailer. The open Cirrus has a wingspan of 17.74m with two one-piece wings and long spar-stubs, which would be too long to fit under that shell.
Not impossible to do, though.

Uli
'AS'
Old June 23rd 19, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

You doing it or a shop?
A shop.....I would suggest finding a trailer that is 80% there, adjust as needed.
You doing it......see above....modify as needed......
You doing it from scratch.....see just above....find similar, take lots of pictures, spend a lot of time......

Shop is likely harder hit on wallet....you do it is more time in shop.....

Unrelated analogy, "speed is money, how fastdo you want to go...?"
Also.... "fast, reliable, cheap....pick any 2.....".....
Old June 24th 19, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Geoffrey,

Several years ago there was a fellow in Tennessee that sold plans, Lubeck I think.
I don't think his plans are still available but I bought a set and used them as a starting point to build two(!) trailers for G103 gliders (I must have been a crazy man!)

The best part about the plans were the sources for special parts like rivets and pre-painted aluminum sheets.

I think there should be a few sets that can be obtained by loan or purchase, they are copyrighted so copying isn't an option.

Mike B.
Old June 24th 19, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ralph Luebke sold the plans he compiled, but he passed away several years ago.

Schreder trailer plans [email protected] Soaring 5 May 7th 17 03:38 AM
Luebke trailer plans Skypilot Soaring 5 May 1st 16 06:30 AM
Luebke Trailer Plans NEED LS3 TRAILER Soaring 5 February 8th 13 05:09 AM
Long EZ plans, Mini IMP plans, F4U Corsair plans, materials, instruments for sale reader Home Built 1 January 26th 11 02:40 AM
Duster Plans For Sale - BJ-1b fullsize sailplane plans WoodHawk Soaring 0 April 25th 05 04:37 AM