Pre-launch checklists

Old January 25th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Pre-launch checklists

In my part of Canada we use:
Controls
Instruments
Straps
Trim & ballast
Release
Spoilers/Flaps
Canopy
In my view, the importance of the actual sequence of
cockpit checks is frequently overlooked. For example,
during my first few flights in my LS 6b I could not
understand why I was ballooning on take off. The reason
was simple - my last action item after 'Options' was
to confirm (one more time) that my dive brakes were
closed and locked. In other words, I always did a second/disaster
check of my dive brakes.
I failed to realize that activating your dive brakes
on the LS 6, also moves the flaps into the landing
setting. So I was taking off with full landing flaps.

(Incidentially, I cannot find anything in the flight
manual identifying this feature.)
Last season, we had a release failure (broken cable)
in the front cockpit of a Blanik and the Instructor
was unable to release because he had tightened his
straps after doing the release check. Fortunately he
was able to slacken his belts before a serious problem
occured.
Hope this helps. JB

Old January 25th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article ,
John Brenann wrote:

Last season, we had a release failure (broken cable)
in the front cockpit of a Blanik and the Instructor
was unable to release because he had tightened his
straps after doing the release check. Fortunately he
was able to slacken his belts before a serious problem
occured.

Was it his first flight in the back seat of a Blanik?

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old January 27th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi John,

Yeah, the LS6b dive brake/flap interconnect can also bite you during an
aggressive thermal entry - If you overpull the flap handle from cruise
back to +2 and overshoot into L, it unlocks the dive brakes! Makes for
a messy thermal entry, to say the least. My solution to this is to
only pull on +1 flaps when I commit to a thermal, and go to +2 when I'm
centered and won't need much more serious maneuvering.

Using CBSIFTCB in my LS6b, I check the flaps for full motion (and
proper aileron mixing when full up and full down) then set them to
negative for the initial takeoff roll. At this point my dive brakes
are still unlocked (and have been since rigging). When I get to the
last B, I cycle the brakes (which also checks the flap interconnect),
lock them in, then put my hand back on the flaps and put them back to
negative.

Incidentally, I usually take off with full flaps, easing them on once I
have good aileron control. It gets me off the ground sooner (nice at
10 psf) which helps in grass or on dirt. Also keeps the nose lower so
I can see the towplane better. Finally, if the rope breaks - I'm ready
to land!

Once I'm at about 100 ft or so, I go to +2 and leave the flaps there
for the rest of the tow, so I'm ready for that first little thermal I'm
going to release in.

I've got a nose hook, so I also retract my gear at about 500' - so I
have nothing to do after release but clear for traffic and center the
thermal.

Works for me so far (about 900 hrs in my -6).

Cheers,

Kirk
66

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Vandenberg Launch, April 17 Piloting 5 April 9th 04 02:21 AM
Ground launch and the incremental vanishing of soaring Mark James Boyd Soaring 24 March 8th 04 11:50 PM
Pegasus/TRACE Launch Photos Posted Brian Webb Military Aviation 0 February 21st 04 04:50 PM