LX7007 Contest Task Issues

Old July 16th 10, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fcnorton

Default LX7007 Contest Task Issues

I'm frustrated. Flying with the LX 7007 with the 2.01 upgrade (?) (I
sent into LX last fall to upgrade).

I'm flying my first contest at Air Sailing and today I got scored with
an "NVS" (not valid start). It was a 5 mile cylinder with a 11K top
and I KNOW that I was within limits when I started. I flew the one
turnpoint task and landed back home.

I noticed an issue when I tried to load the IGC file into OLC and it
claimed I had an invalid B record file line and asked me to email the
file. The file opens in See You but shows a photo finish at my one
turnpoint.

I flew the task and everything seemed normal in the cockpit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

FC
Old July 16th 10, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Ah what exact help are you asking for with exactly what problem?

On Jul 15, 8:46*pm, fcnorton wrote:
I'm frustrated. *Flying with the LX 7007 with the 2.01 upgrade (?) (I
sent into LX last fall to upgrade).

I'm flying my first contest at Air Sailing and today I got scored with
an "NVS" (not valid start). *It was a 5 mile cylinder with a 11K top
and I KNOW that I was within limits when I started. *I flew the one
turnpoint task and landed back home.

If you know you were within start limits when you started then you
need to ask the scorer to explain why they gave you a penalty. None of
the results for any day on the SSA Web site for this contest show you
with a start penalty. What exactly is the "today" you are referring
to? Is this still an issue or has the scorer given you a valid start?

Mmm not quite sure what is goign on with the dates on the SSA contest
web page at http://www.ssa.org/members/contestre...estresults.asp
they are out by a day but looking at the score sheet for "Day 4
Corrected" with the date on the score sheet of 7/15 shows you have a
valid start.

A quick look in SeeYou at the IGC file "07flight1.IGC" downloaded from
OLC for your flight on 7/15 shows an start out the side through a 5
statute mile radius cylinder on S.44_START. Assuming a start top at
11,000 MSL and this is using QNH corrected pressure altitudes. (And
gee I wish Winscore would print the max start height on those score
sheets...). Kind of hard to have an invalid start with the massive
start cylinders enveloping the gliderport and tow drop off location.

I noticed an issue when I tried to load the IGC file into OLC and it
claimed I had an invalid B record file line and asked me to email the
file. *

Are you sure it said an invalid B and not an invalid G record? The B
record is a position record, the G record is the digital signature.
Either way the file is likely corrupted. That happens most frequently
due to humans messing up with the file after download from the
recorder. Did you do anything at all to it before trying to upload to
OLC? Just opening in SeeYou does not prove it is really OK. Did you
run the IGC provided validation utility for your logger after
downloading the IGC file. Always a good idea to do this to uncover
problems. Try downloading the file again from the logger if there is a
corruption problem.

The file opens in See You but shows a photo finish at my one
turnpoint.

The problem above and this one may not be related. The task in the IGC
file from OLC looked correct but do you have the right turnpoint OZ
properties set? See EditFlight PropertiesObservation Zone and go
carefully though each OZ setting. That is the most common reason you
will see a false landout/photo finish. From the score sheet on the SSA
Web site...

Unofficial
Sports Class Day 4
Thursday, July 15, 2010

Task: Turn Area
ID Name Distance (Miles) Radius
44 Start 0.00 5.0
48 Swee****er 93.24 30.0
15 Finish 190.12 1.0

Entering those OZ settings into SeeYou for your IGC file 07flight1.IGC
downloaded from OLC shows a completed task with no landout/photo
finish.

I flew the task and everything seemed normal in the cockpit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

FC

So I think you have a valid start, I think you have a valid score and
you seem to have a file uploaded to OLC. So again what are you asking
for help with?

OK here is some free advice... Uh an LX7007, I'd worry about your
chance of getting anybody at a typical gliderport/small contest in the
USA who can help you with much with an LX7007. Sometimes there is
safety in numbers...

Darryl
Old July 16th 10, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fcnorton

Update & FYI to other LX 7007 Users

The new version of the LX 7007 software converts the native LXN file
into an IGC file in the logger when it calculates the flight after
landing so you can download it onto the SD chip. Prior versions
required you to download the LXN file and do the conversion with the
desktop LXE software.

For some reason with yesterday's flight the conversion did not occur
correctly when the logger converted the file. I used the old process
of converting the LXN flight with the LXE software on my laptop and it
fixed the problem. I emailed the updated IGC file to the CD and he
corrected my score!

Thank you Darryl for the reply.

FCZ

Old July 16th 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

I think Darryl was trying to suggest a back-up logger to avoid the
emotional drama that goes with when the electrons screw your ass,
taking one out of the "racing zone" not to mention kill the fun of
drinking beer and listening to all the great day stories.
Trust me when I say how good it is to say, " Oh really, here's my back-
up scorekeeper. Would you like a beer while I get me another one?"
I use a CAI M25 black box that I have rigged for back-up navigation
that cost 800$ and will always cost 800$ when my heirs sell it. It has
yet to burp, simply records , and regurgitate on demand.
Don't get me started on spare tire tubes.
"It won't break if you have a spare" R

contest task explanations ..... Ron Gleason Soaring 12 May 19th 10 08:51 PM
LX7007 log file problem [email protected] Soaring 3 June 22nd 06 08:29 PM
Winpilot & Lx7007 DG5X Soaring 5 March 24th 06 10:59 AM
Commercial - New LX7007 Paul Remde Soaring 19 July 1st 05 05:06 PM
contest task completion rates? ken ward Soaring 2 August 11th 03 03:32 AM