David Mockler wins day 8 at 15m worlds!

Old August 8th 14, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default David Mockler wins day 8 at 15m worlds!

As of this moment 3 scores haven't been posted so lets hope this doesn't turn into a USA 4th place... but...

Awesome!!! and a fellow TSA member as well. USA! USA!
Old August 14th 14, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

This was a highly competitive day (good weather) and a high quality PURE ASSIGNED TASK! Winning speeds of 117 kph were among the highest speeds of the world championship. IMO, this day win was much more meaningful than if it came from a "watered down" or "compromised" Turn Area Task in poor (or good) weather.

Day it with me...."a real racing task!" It even says "Racing Task" on the top of the score sheet :-)!

Congratulations! I'm sure that he will never forget this amazing accomplishment in arguably the most competitive class in soaring! Bravo!

What a great moment for the US team!

Sean
Old August 14th 14, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Congratulations! I'm sure that David will never forget this amazing accomplishment in arguably the most competitive class in soaring! Bravo! What a great moment for the US team!

The icing on the cake here is that this win came on THE MOST COMPETITIVE DAY OF THE 15M WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS (23 gliders with over 900 points) with decent (but not perfect) weather. David's winning speed over the 362 km task was only 116.2 kph.

I find it incredibly ironic that this highly impressive US team win came during an ASSIGNED TASK (aka Racing Task)! It even says "Racing Task" on the top of the score sheet (link below)! Almost as if to point out the fact that the other tasks are not "really" racing at all. ;-)

http://www.wgc2014.hb.pl/wyniki/15m/488_15m.htm

Seriously, we fly so few pure assigned tasks (racing tasks) in the USA these days (7 total in 2013). With that fact and IMO, David's US Soaring Team day win was much more meaningful than if it had come from a "watered down" or "compromised" Turn Area Task.

Imagine if our talented world team pilots had some actual practice flying real racing tasks in our US contests? Just a thought...

Sean