West Yellowstone, WY

Old August 5th 14, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot

Default West Yellowstone, WY

I would like to hear-direct- from any pilots who have used the West Yellowstone, WY airport for soaring flights. I am particularly interested in airport facilities, airport procedures and acceptability for multiple aero tow launches. What are the soaring conditions like? Time of year you were there, etc.?

Our group is considering taking our tow plane there for a couple of weeks next summer.
Tom
Boise, ID
Old August 5th 14, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Contact Greg Mecklenburg. Greg flies out of Gallatin Field (very close by), and is intimately familiar with the area.
Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old August 6th 14, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I flew up there from Driggs, ID last week. Conditions were really good
even with the widespread over development. Didn't land there, but it
looked OK from above.

Dan Marotta

Old August 11th 14, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Caldwell (BC)

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:11:49 PM UTC-6, Boise Pilot wrote:
I would like to hear-direct- from any pilots who have used the West Yellowstone, WY airport for soaring flights. I am particularly interested in airport facilities, airport procedures and acceptability for multiple aero tow launches. What are the soaring conditions like? Time of year you were there, etc.?

Our group is considering taking our tow plane there for a couple of weeks next summer.

Tom

Boise, ID

It's actually in Montana but close enough.
Old August 15th 14, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 7:10:23 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I flew up there from Driggs, ID last week.� Conditions were really good even with the widespread over development.� Didn't land there, but it looked OK from above. Dan MarottaOn 8/5/2014 2:26 PM, Dave Nadler wrote: Contact Greg Mecklenburg. Greg flies out of Gallatin Field (very close by), and is intimately familiar with the area.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

was wondering if you would care to comment on the operation at driggs? i am considering flying there for labor day weekend. thanks N16PB
Old August 15th 14, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, the people were very friendly but they are a commercial ride
operation and not setup to provide all the assistance that a lone glider
pilot would require. We had 3 pilots for the 2-seater we were flying
and were able to rig and stage without any help from the operation.
Tows were scheduled in advance and we staged at the hold short line at
our scheduled time. When the tug (a Husky) appeared coming our way,
we'd push out onto the runway.

On the day we arrived there was another 2-seater and a single seater and
they did their own rigging. I launched one of them and a wife launched
the other.

The runway is, 7,300 ft long and, IIRC 100' wide and slopes downward
from north to south. There is a top quality restaurant and FBO on the
field and there is plenty of jet and turboprop traffic. You must be
prepared to go at your scheduled time and hold when necessary.

The airport is just a few miles west of the Tetons and the views are
spectacular. The tug will generally take you east to the mountains.

If you have any direct questions, you can email me at the address above.

Dan Marotta

Old August 16th 14, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

As Dave Nadler suggests, checking with Gregg Mecklenburg (Bozeman, MT)would be a good idea. Greg can also tell you about flying at Bozeman, about 100 miles north of W Yellowstone.

Four of us flew out of West Yellowstone a couple years ago and got very poor treatment from the airport manager.

Three of us flew out of Driggs and Bozeman last month. Make arrangements ahead. Both places are scenery paradises, but, as usual, how far you can go into the mountains/park depend on soaring conditions.

Old August 16th 14, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot

On Friday, August 15, 2014 7:07:50 PM UTC-6, Karl Striedieck wrote:
As Dave Nadler suggests, checking with Gregg Mecklenburg (Bozeman, MT)would be a good idea. Greg can also tell you about flying at Bozeman, about 100 miles north of W Yellowstone.

Four of us flew out of West Yellowstone a couple years ago and got very poor treatment from the airport manager.

Three of us flew out of Driggs and Bozeman last month. Make arrangements ahead. Both places are scenery paradises, but, as usual, how far you can go into the mountains/park depend on soaring conditions.

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:11:49 PM UTC-4, Boise Pilot wrote:

Thank you for the responses. I have the information I need.

Tom