PowerFLARM antenna mounts

Old July 7th 12, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default PowerFLARM antenna mounts

On Friday, July 6, 2012 7:45:45 PM UTC-7, noel.wade wrote:
compare it to the yaw string!

I happen to like your yaw string! (grin)

bumper
Old July 7th 12, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jul 5, 9:10*am, bumper wrote:

As to making the antenna out of very thin wire; from my Nave ET days, a thin antenna element has a more narrow bandwidth. Since flarm uses a frequency hopping protocol (I think from 885 to 915 Mhz), thin may not work very well.

lower freq 902.20000000 upper freq 927.80000000

Source - FCC application for PFP (no application, or other
certification data, published for PFB).
Old July 9th 12, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

We are all faced with fitting these things to legacy gliders of varying geometry and materials. The carbon fibre fuselage seems to pose most problems.

I hope glider designers in future make installation of transponders, Flarm and PowerFlarm etc. easier, without dead spots or vision impairment.

Chris N

Old July 9th 12, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM

We have published an Application note for the FLARM antenna installation:
http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/

Deep link:
http://powerflarm.us/wp-content/uplo...e_ANTENNAS.pdf

Still a bit raw, but we will update it with more pictures and examples.
Old July 9th 12, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, July 9, 2012 2:31:48 AM UTC-4, FLARM wrote:
We have published an Application note for the FLARM antenna installation:
http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/

Deep link:
http://powerflarm.us/wp-content/uplo...e_ANTENNAS.pdf

Still a bit raw, but we will update it with more pictures and examples.

Looking at page 6, there is a much less offensive 1/4 wave antenna shown that Flarm folks say works well.
Any of you expert guys have an idea where we get on of these?
Thanks
UH
Old July 9th 12, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Monday, July 9, 2012 2:31:48 AM UTC-4, FLARM wrote:
We have published an Application note for the FLARM antenna installation:
http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/

Deep link:
http://powerflarm.us/wp-content/uplo...e_ANTENNAS.pdf

Still a bit raw, but we will update it with more pictures and examples.

Excellent,

How do I get one of the 1/4 wave whip antenna's shown on p6 of the Application Note? Who it the manufacturer and what is the part number?

QT
Old July 9th 12, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

There must be some company that builds a nice FLARM compatible 1/2 wave
length base fed antenna similar to the one in the following link.
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/shure-u...FSZntgodnQJgIQ

Wayne
W7ADK
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old July 9th 12, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM

On Monday, July 9, 2012 6:26:24 AM UTC-7, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:

How do I get one of the 1/4 wave whip antenna's shown on p6 of the Application Note? Who it the manufacturer and what is the part number?

Mobile Mark PSTG0-925SE
http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...13&eventPage=1
It is a 'special order' item, but as of this morning they have some in stock.

Note that the length and picture on the Tessco site are incorrect.
Actual length is 2 7/8 inch. Datasheet is he
http://powerflarm.us/wp-content/uplo...STG0-925SE.pdf

Don't bug the manufacturer (Mobile Mark) about these; they have a minimum order quantity of 250pcs...

Disclaimer:
This is not a product that FLARM has tested, supplies or officially endorses.
It will require the installation of a suitable ground plane and coaxial cables to work properly. Please do not ask us for individual support on this type of installation.

That being said; if installed well, this can be very slick...

Old July 10th 12, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Monday, July 9, 2012 6:24:10 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
On Monday, July 9, 2012 2:31:48 AM UTC-4, FLARM wrote:
> We have published an Application note for the FLARM antenna installation:
> http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/
>
> Deep link:
> http://powerflarm.us/wp-content/uplo...e_ANTENNAS.pdf
>
> Still a bit raw, but we will update it with more pictures and examples.

Looking at page 6, there is a much less offensive 1/4 wave antenna shown that Flarm folks say works well.
Any of you expert guys have an idea where we get on of these?
Thanks
UH

Craggy Aero will have something similar in about a week

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 10th 12, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Monday, July 9, 2012 7:10:55 AM UTC-7, Wayne wrote:
There must be some company that builds a nice FLARM compatible 1/2 wave
length base fed antenna similar to the one in the following link.
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/shure-u...FSZntgodnQJgIQ

Wayne
W7ADK
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"John Godfrey (QT)" wrote in message

On Monday, July 9, 2012 2:31:48 AM UTC-4, FLARM wrote:
> We have published an Application note for the FLARM antenna installation:
> http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/
>
> Deep link:
> http://powerflarm.us/wp-content/uplo...e_ANTENNAS.pdf
>
> Still a bit raw, but we will update it with more pictures and examples.

Excellent,

How do I get one of the 1/4 wave whip antenna's shown on p6 of the
Application Note? Who it the manufacturer and what is the part number?

QT

I won't be buying powerFlarm until the antenna installation is as unobtrusive as my Transponder. Di-pole sticking up above the glare shield doesn't cut it. Figure out another way. You have plenty of headroom to boost the power and use a less efficient 1/2 or 1/4 wave antenna. PowerFlarm needs to step up and fix this problem.

PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available Paul Remde Soaring 30 May 25th 12 11:58 PM
PowerFlarm antenna install Sam Zimmerman Soaring 10 November 11th 10 09:54 PM
Suction cup mounts Ed Winchester[_2_] Soaring 2 September 18th 09 03:58 AM
PDA mounts Mhudson126 Soaring 10 May 19th 04 07:24 PM
Commercial - New PDA mounts from RAM Paul Remde Soaring 0 September 11th 03 06:27 AM