US Tasking? Are way too many TATs/MATs are being called vs. NOTENOUGH ASSIGNED TASKS (3% in 2013)

Old July 29th 14, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default US Tasking? Are way too many TATs/MATs are being called vs. NOTENOUGH ASSIGNED TASKS (3% in 2013)

All semantics aside, we had only 7 total (5 in nationals) pure AT tasks in 2013.

Are you guys "kinda" thinking this is OK? 3%?

Are we resigned to only be tested in tasks that involve weather guessing "skills", our watches and our flight computers these days? Sorry, I know, a bit of a cheap shot there. But 30 mile turn area's and 1 turn MATs are pretty "loose" tests of flying skill at best.

In the immortal words of the band "Twisted Sister" "I wanna race!" ;-)

I will beg my CD for sure (sorry in advance guys and girls). But overall, I am shocked that we are not collectively looking at this 3% statistic and worrying. Wouldn't guidance that produces a number closer to 20% ATs (35% in nationals) be more healthy for us? Especially at Nationals?

I am shocked that 3% ATs (even if you prefer TATs) appears OK to many. Its basically all we do anymore. That is a bummer to me.

Sean

Old July 29th 14, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:04:43 AM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
[...]

100% TAT in the world only 3 days 9 TATs and counting.

Richard
Old July 29th 14, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Tuesday, 29 July 2014 11:04:43 UTC-6, Sean Fidler wrote:
[...]

I would like to echo what SF stated; you should talk with and consult the task adviser's and let them know what you want. The CD works with them.

Idle threats of harassment will get you no where in my book. Please remember that the folks enabling contests are volunteers and are doing the task so that you can have fun, soar and participate in some friendly competition.

Maybe you should just CD your own contests, call all AT's and let us know how it goes.
Old July 29th 14, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Sean, the "no turn MATs" you refer to at Sports Nats 2013 (Mifflin) were actually MATs with restrictions that the score sheet isn't equipped to display. For example, day one, a four hour minimum time and the following restrictions.

1. First turn must be one of the following three (Orbisonia, McConnelsburg, Dicke's Mtn).

2. No turnpoint may be used more than once.

Memorably, this was announced 15 minutes before first launch, on a ridge day.

It did seem unnecessarily "gamey", especially for the new-to-site guys (day 1, after a rained out practice period). I'm sure it sounded fun in the task advisors' meeting and I had a blast with it myself.

However, a *fairer* task would have been a long MAT or AT constructed along the lines of the tasks that the fast guys flew.

AT, long MAT (with 2-3 longish legs to start please), or AAT (5 & 10 mi circles please) are all good tasks. Less restricted MATs and larger circle AATs get days in when the wx is problematic and better avoid mass landouts. My chief competition aggravation is that we get so consumed with ripping marginal tasks from crappy wx that we can't seem to get out of timid-mode when the wx finally gets good.

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old July 29th 14, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy K

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:40:47 PM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:
[...]

Yes, this is such a waste of time and money and one reason that some people avoid flying contests.
Old July 30th 14, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Evan,

Agreed and good points!

I think everybody means well here, but it would be nice to have a bit more balance. Also, from the other thread..."what is it that glider pilots are being measured on" is a huge discussion point.

Some want the "freedom" of wide turn area's, weather guessing, time variance and what I call "uncontrolled variables (luck)" to be the dominant feature of the sport while others what more controlled variables (grand prix or shorter window starts and AT's). Personally I think wide area TAT's are to close to OLC (especially with free start times). I think contests (competition) should be more objective that they are today.

OLC "contests" are great for free flight distance competition!

Remember, all I am asking for here is more balance. Many are arguing for more TAT's and less AT's which would entirely eliminate AT's from the sport in the USA.

50/25/25 for example. Right now we are doing roughly 70/27/3.

Sean

Old July 30th 14, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:39:19 PM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
[...]

Grubs again Grumble Grumble! 3 more TATs called at the Worlds in Lezno that is 12 of 12 100%. They do call them AATs.

Richard

Old July 30th 14, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:41:39 AM UTC-5, Richard wrote:
Grubs again Grumble Grumble! 3 more TATs called at the Worlds in Lezno that is 12 of 12 100%. They do call them AATs. Richard

Pretty big risk of storms, too. 10 KM finish cylinder, 400 meter min finish height. Sounds like they are dealing with rather uncertain weather, and handling it the way we do here with shorter tasks and enough turn areas to provide the flexibility to not have anyone max out on distance, but also not so long as to start landing everyone out.

I find it interesting that their final "steering" turn has a much smaller radius than their finish cylinder today. Funnel in, then spread out.
Old August 6th 14, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Task call today from USA Region 9 (Nephi, UT)...

Wait for it.....................

3, 30 mile radius turn cylinders (THATS RIGHT, 3 THIRTY MILE RADIUS).

Photo of task sheet (sent by my spy) he https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx7K...p=docslist_api

The AM report for the day actually say's the words "LETS RACE!" ROTFL. --http://www.ssa.org/Contests?cid=2268... gion+9+North

Ready, set, go............fly anywhere you want like OLC and have fun! But it's no race folks. Not even remotely close to a race. That's for sure.

Weather considerations for the task selection you may ask? Read it for yourself...

"Just finished the pilot meeting, spirits are high and optimism is high for a great day of racing.
One task for all classes; 02 Start, 78 Wayne Wonder, 43 Milford and 22 Delta Muni all turnpoints have 30 mile radi.
Nominal 280, maximum 402.6 and minium 182.
Duration 3:30
Task B is same as A but 3:00 duration.
Weather is forecated to be 4-6F warmer, trigger temperature passed by launch, TOL 14-15K+, lift 5 knots average+, cumulus clouds should be present and winds at TOL 15-18 MPH.
Tasks on SSA tracker site, happy viewing
Let's race" (--- yes they really said that!)

I rest my case.

:-)

Sean

Old August 6th 14, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

As much as I hate "races" with 30 mile cylinders, lots of pilots seem to like flying the OLC. If this is what it takes to get them to fly in sanctioned contests, so be it. The rules allow assigned tasks, short MAT, long MAT, turn areas with lots of small turns, or turn areas with huge radii. If the pilots at the contest are happy, who are we to complain, from our armchairs a thousand miles away. If the pilots at the contest don't like it, the pilots at the contest should complain to the task advisers and cds.
John Cochrane