A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

PowerFlarm Problems

Old August 10th 14, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 9V
external usenet poster

Default PowerFlarm Problems

I have had a lot of trouble with my PowerFlarm. It has been sent back under recall twice and is still not reliable. It continues to lose GPS lock and I keep loosing flights because the Oudie it is supporting is set not to switch to internal GPS per instructions from the Flarm people. Is anyone else having trouble with their Flarm unit?

I have asked the Flarm people to replace the unit with a factory new one, since I do not believe this one can be fixed properly and I have no faith in it. They want me to send it in a third time for a main board replacement (2nd one) but I just don't have faith that it will be a reliable unit.

Am I asking too much to have them replace my defective Flarm with a new one? I wrote to them directly, and for a week now I have had no reply. The company I work for would replace a defective part no questions asked. Why are the guys at Flarm blowing me off?

Thanks,

9V
Old August 10th 14, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]
external usenet poster

They are a business and they have their processes, if they think a main board replacement will fix it (the 3rd one) let them try. But ask them why they think the 3rd one will fix it when the 2nd didn't, Advise you don't think it will fix it. Also ask what will the plan be if the 3rd board does not fix it as you expect and that you would prefer a whole unit replacement rather than just trying fix this one again.

BTW I work this kind of thing all the time, often the company knows more than they are willing tell you. They may have been guessing the 1st time with the main board but now may know why then 3rd board should fix it when the 2nd one didn't.

Brian
Old August 10th 14, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU
external usenet poster

Maybe you should switch to 12V? ;-)

Sorry.
Old August 10th 14, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Good one! But more seriously, all of these boards/products have been in the same installation. Are you sure that is solid?

For example the GPS active antenna might be at fault? Or too close to other GPS antennas or other equipment (they do suffer interference in those cases)? Or a bad cable?

It seems highly unlikely that once they replaced the main board, there would still be the same fault in the board. You may need to debug your installation, at least until you can reasonably prove that it is not the problem.
Old August 12th 14, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 9V
external usenet poster

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:05:24 AM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
Good one! But more seriously, all of these boards/products have been in the same installation. Are you sure that is solid?

For example the GPS active antenna might be at fault? Or too close to other GPS antennas or other equipment (they do suffer interference in those cases)? Or a bad cable?

It seems highly unlikely that once they replaced the main board, there would still be the same fault in the board. You may need to debug your installation, at least until you can reasonably prove that it is not the problem.

I can't swear that the cable is not the fault, but before the first send back (recall) I never had any problems. I guess the main thing that bugs me is that when I wrote to them to plead my case, they didn't even bother to reply.

I ordered a Flarm very early, before they were even released. I supported them and their technology. Now when I have problems, they are not even responding to my email. I have been very patient and have tried to be respectful and rational. I don't really know what to do next. I guess I will have to send it back for yet another main board replacement. No offense to Williams Soaring, but I don't think a repair at a glider shop is the equivalent of factory and so far, it hasn't been. Honestly I am not trying to dis on Williams Soaring, so please don't take it that way. Just very frustrated! I certainly welcome any advise.
Thanks,
9V
Old August 12th 14, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Mueller
external usenet poster

At 03:08 12 August 2014, Blake Seese 9V wrote:
On Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:05:24 AM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
Good one! But more seriously, all of these boards/products

have been in
t=
he same installation. Are you sure that is solid?
=20
=20
=20
For example the GPS active antenna might be at fault? Or

too close to
oth=
er GPS antennas or other equipment (they do suffer

interference in those
ca=
ses)? Or a bad cable?
=20
=20
=20
It seems highly unlikely that once they replaced the main

board, there
wo=
uld still be the same fault in the board. You may need to debug

your
instal=
lation, at least until you can reasonably prove that it is not the

problem.

I can't swear that the cable is not the fault, but before the first

send
ba=
ck (recall) I never had any problems. I guess the main thing

that bugs me
i=
s that when I wrote to them to plead my case, they didn't even

bother to
re=
ply.

I ordered a Flarm very early, before they were even released.

I supported
t=
hem and their technology. Now when I have problems, they

are not even
respo=
nding to my email. I have been very patient and have tried to

be
respectful=
and rational. I don't really know what to do next. I guess I

will have
to=
send it back for yet another main board replacement. No

offense to
William=
s Soaring, but I don't think a repair at a glider shop is the

equivalent
of=
factory and so far, it hasn't been. Honestly I am not trying to

dis on
Wil=
liams Soaring, so please don't take it that way. Just very

frustrated! I
ce=
rtainly welcome any advise.
Thanks,
9V

Blake, Is the Flarm set to 19200 baud and also the Oudie? I
might call Paul Remde at Cumulus or Richard at Craggy for
other ideas. D

Old August 14th 14, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 9V
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 6:23:26 PM UTC-6, Blake Seese 9V wrote:
I have had a lot of trouble with my PowerFlarm. It has been sent back under recall twice and is still not reliable. It continues to lose GPS lock and I keep loosing flights because the Oudie it is supporting is set not to switch to internal GPS per instructions from the Flarm people. Is anyone else having trouble with their Flarm unit?

I have asked the Flarm people to replace the unit with a factory new one, since I do not believe this one can be fixed properly and I have no faith in it. They want me to send it in a third time for a main board replacement (2nd one) but I just don't have faith that it will be a reliable unit.

Am I asking too much to have them replace my defective Flarm with a new one? I wrote to them directly, and for a week now I have had no reply. The company I work for would replace a defective part no questions asked. Why are the guys at Flarm blowing me off?

Thanks,

9V

Flarm guys finally got back to me and denied a replacement. My only option is to send it back to Williams Soaring for yet another board replacement. I am not at all satisfied with this, but apparently have no other choice. I will post again once I get it back and find out if it works.
Old August 14th 14, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Suggest you swap the core with one in a known working installation, and see if the problem migrates. Try the other core with your installation, too. It is fairly easy to see where the problem is if the problem moves (or doesn't). If you think your GPS is the culprit, swap in a known working GPS puck and see if that cures it.

Finally, if your shortened the leads on the GPS antenna, or the flarm dipoles, it would be worthwhile going in and checking your soldering.

2D

Flarm guys finally got back to me and denied a replacement. My only option is to send it back to Williams Soaring for yet another board replacement. I am not at all satisfied with this, but apparently have no other choice. I will post again once I get it back and find out if it works.