conversion to U.S. certification?

Old August 11th 14, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dutch[_4_]

Default conversion to U.S. certification?

Hi,

I've been a certified glider pilot in the Netherlands for the past 20 years. I now live in the U.S. and belong to a local gliding club. It's gotten expensive to keep returning to Holland to renew my certification in order to soar here.

Would anyone know how to "convert" all or some of my Dutch gliding credentials in order to obtain a U.S. license? My fear is that I would have to start over from zero.

Thank you
Old August 11th 14, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Your situation is quite common..

No, you don't have to start from zero! All of you pilot time "counts"...

You must meet the minimum training / piloting times as specified in the FAR's

You will have to take and pass the FAA written exam, and you will have to take and pass the FAA practical test.

You will need to get a certificated instructor to sign you off for the written test...and you will have to do a minimum of three instructional flights with an instructor within 60 days of the practical test, and have the instructor "recommend" you...

I usually make the candidate do a few solo flights...(not required)

More flights or ground school.. if you're not "up to speed" in the eyes of the recommending instructor.....

Cookie

Old August 12th 14, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RN[_2_]

This may work depending on your circumstances. A much better option than doing all of the US testing. Certainly worth checking with the local FSDO.

Converting Licenses and Ratings

As a pilot with previous flight experience, you've dedicated time, hard work and money in achieving your pilot training goals.

If you have a foreign license or rating , you may be able to complete the steps below to convert to a U.S. FAA Certificate or rating:

Step 1 - Download, print and complete the following form: Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating and Medical Certification.

This form can be downloaded at:
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific..._verification/

Note for question 11 - Enter your local Flight Standard District Office (FSDO),
Available at http://www.faa.gov/mobile/index.cfm?...DOs&region=AGL if you do not already have it.

Step 2 - Obtain a legible copy of your foreign pilot license and medical license or endorsement. Include a copy of the English transcription of your license, if applicable.

Step 3 - Once completed, send these documents to the FAA by one of the following methods:

By Mail:
Federal Aviation Administration
Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0082 By Fax:
Fax number: (405) 954-9922

Step 4 - Once the FAA receives your documents, they will verify your documents with the proper foreign authorities and issue a Verification of Authenticity Letter to the San Diego FSDO location indicated. A copy will be sent to you via mail. Please note this process takes 45 to 90 days on average.
Old August 12th 14, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RN[_2_]

I believe you can just apply to convert your certificate and avoid all of the hassle of additional testing and practical tests.

Have a look at the FAA guidelines:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific..._verification/

If you do not know the location of your local FSDO, you can find it on the this url. They should be able to help with any questions.

http://www.faa.gov/mobile/index.cfm?...DOs&region=AGL

Good luck and this should be a somewhat painless, if lengthy procedure.

Old August 12th 14, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

John/RN :

You gave a good link, but for the wrong result.

This pilot had already had a US issuance based on the foreign certificate. They wished to NOT have to keep the Dutch certificate current, to be legal to use the US document.
So - What Cookie said.... that's the process.

Apply for the US certificate, as if they had never had one.
Written test, practice training flights to review for a flight test,
and there you go. Checkride and a US certificate issued based on flight test, not on a reciprocal privilege.

Good luck !
Cindy B
Old August 12th 14, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks to everyone for the helpful answers.

One more question occurs to me:

Once I give up keeping my Dutch glider's license current, does anyone know if I can still soar in the Netherlands by using reciprocal privileges? Has anyone had the experience of successfully using a U.S. certificate there?

LSA certification Info ULWA Home Built 1 December 9th 07 11:14 AM
Conversion of Huey to meet FAA certification standards matt Rotorcraft 4 November 22nd 05 02:49 PM
IFR GPS certification nobody Instrument Flight Rules 17 March 16th 05 04:16 AM
IFR GPS certification nobody Owning 14 February 28th 05 04:07 PM
FAA Certification fred D Soaring 7 June 15th 04 03:01 PM