UAV video platform - soaring video potential?

Old August 14th 14, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default UAV video platform - soaring video potential?

Herb,

Some of your statements are grossly inaccurate. As for your opinions, you are certainly entitled to having them.

I would walk you thru how it all works, but I am certain that you have already come to a conclusion based on a preconceived and highly inaccurate idea of what I am proposing.

And for the record I already have 4 very interested parties. ;-).

Best,

Sean

Old August 14th 14, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I'm sure that this could be done safely enough, especially if the UAV is equipped with Flarm or a transponder and it avoids flying in the pattern. However, UAVs do malfunction at a higher rate than piloted aircraft and loss of control occurs quite often, even with commercial and military operators. Some care will be needed!

The main problem is the FAA's refusal to permit any commercial use, which is certainly likely to restrict any operations such as those proposed. (Not that this will prevent some guys doing it anyway).

Mike

Old August 14th 14, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:28:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

The scary thing is that any idiot with the money to get one can endanger themselves and others, they are remarkably easy to fly. I'm just waiting for the first serious midair with a GA aircraft, a balloon or a glider. These bozos are flying around (illegally right now) people, vehicles, aircraft and over private property. There will be accidents. FPV flying outside line-of-sight is illegal, even below 400' and outside the 5 mi perimeter of airports.

One word: Shotgun

Kirk
66

Old August 14th 14, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:16:38 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

I think the people flying these are birds-of-a-feather with glider pilots and I'd hope that we stay on friendly terms and not be antagonistic when and if our paths cross.

Huh? I call BS on that! These guys are snooping spectators, not participants!

I'm for open season on all drones flying outside a strict limited airspace (RC flying field).

Kirk
(dusting off the old 12 gauge...)
Old August 14th 14, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/19...uns-at-drones/

http://rt.com/usa/faa-warns-against-...ng-drones-345/

Old August 14th 14, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

http://blogs.findlaw.com/decided/201...law-judge.html

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:28:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:18:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Here it is without camera or PF mounted. It also floats. Ask Sean Fidler why that's a good thing - along with some prop guards. ;-)

https://docs.google.com/folderview?i...doc slist_api

Old August 14th 14, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:18:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Here it is without camera or PF mounted. It also floats. Ask Sean Fidler why that's a good thing - along with some prop guards. ;-)

https://docs.google.com/folderview?i...doc slist_api

Indeed ;-)!
Old August 14th 14, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:50:05 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
... using the Zenmuse Gimbal and the state of the art Panasonic GH4 camera.

Sean. Have you ever mounted this rig on top of your horizontal stabilizer pointed forward? Does the gimbal keep the frame level with the horizon when the glider banks?

I understand that one needs to be careful with W & B and FARs, but I think some shots like this would be interesting compared to the usual fixed camera mount that tilts with the bank.
Old August 14th 14, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Did you actually read the article? All the FAA did was warn that if any damage happened to other parties or property due to a shot down drone, you could get in trouble.

Well DUH! This is the USA, after all!

But it also says that the FAA cannot make laws, only regulations - and the FAA doesn't have any authority over small drones like the ones we are talking about.

So if a drone is outside the AMA-suggested area, and over a field (or my yard), and I blow it out of the sky - it's all good as long as it doesn't hit someone or something on the way down.

Heck, you can say the same thing about duck hunting!

Colorado has the right attitude...

Kirk
66

Soaring Video? Waveguru Soaring 6 January 27th 13 12:38 PM
New soaring video! soaring23 Soaring 4 November 15th 12 06:49 PM
Soaring Video MikeCarris Soaring 0 September 29th 11 01:47 AM
New Soaring Video Paul Remde Soaring 0 October 11th 06 10:13 PM
Video's of Soaring? JohnH Soaring 1 August 27th 03 12:03 AM