Ground launch payout winch systems...Are they suitable for gliders?

Old September 23rd 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Ground launch payout winch systems...Are they suitable forgliders?

On Sep 22, 11:53*pm, Pete Brown wrote:
Gents:

I have assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that a payout winch *would have an
advantage. If I have 2000 ft of cable on a spool and a 6,000 ft runway,
the car with a payout winch use almost all of the *6,000ft runway length.

Were we to do a regular auto tow, the car *could only use 4,000ft of the
runway to lift the glider. A reverse pulley would also give us the full
6,000 ft but, in our case, we can't use it because of runway management
issues, not aerodynamics.

Pete

Your airport designator?

Frank Whiteley
Old September 23rd 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

We've done thousands of payout winch launches at our airport, 4S2.
Even in no wind, we never have to drive over about 65mph. Fortunately
though, the wind is always blowing here in the wind capitol of the
world, Hood River, Oregon. Our winch works very well and has several
safety advantages over a conventional winch.

Airport management continues to be our biggest problem.

Feel free to call me with any questions. My phone numbers are on my
web site, along with some links to videos of our winch in action on
YouTube.

www.nwskysports.com

Old September 24th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gilbert Smith

GARY BOGGS wrote:

We've done thousands of payout winch launches at our airport, 4S2.
Even in no wind, we never have to drive over about 65mph. Fortunately
though, the wind is always blowing here in the wind capitol of the
world, Hood River, Oregon. Our winch works very well and has several
safety advantages over a conventional winch.

Airport management continues to be our biggest problem.

Feel free to call me with any questions. My phone numbers are on my
web site, along with some links to videos of our winch in action on
YouTube.

www.nwskysports.com

Stunning.
How much cable is let out before starting the launch ?
How far does the tow car travel ?
What height does the glider reach ?
How much height is gained with the tow car stopped ?

Gilbert
UK
Old August 13th 14, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:06:19 PM UTC-8, wrote:
It seems that a payout winch similar to those used for hang gliders
might be useful as a more efficient alternative to auto tows. You can
make better use of the runway length and have perhaps a safer launch
with proper calibration. Is anyone using such systems? Are they
practical? Are they in fact better than a straight auto tow?

I've done payout winch tows on Gary's system. Start out with 100 ft at the glider. vs 1,500 or 2,000 ft on a straight auto tow. Once the tension is set at the truck the pilot does not worry about over-stressing the line. When you pitch up the line is payed out, hit headwind or lift the line is payed out more. (vice versa if you hit sink or tailwind) After the climb is established the truck drivers slows down and the glider can pitch up more for speed/climb. 900 foot pattern tows from a 3,000 ft taxiway. As compared to the same on a 5,000 ft run w 1,500 foot recently at Ephrata WA
There is no cable to drop as it is rewound on the payout drum.
I think http://www.romansdesign.com/ has a project on this, although I have not heard anything in awhile.