Class D Sucks

Old December 21st 04, 05:46 AM
Jose

So what does it mean to an itinerant pilot?

It means the pilot ought to ask what it means.

You're mistaken.

No, I'm not.

And your evidence, should I call it that, does not address the issue
of whether, to be specified, it must be specified in writing, which is
the issue in question.

Jose
--
Freedom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old December 21st 04, 05:54 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jose" wrote in message
m...

So what does it mean to an itinerant pilot?

It means the pilot ought to ask what it means.

It means nothing.

You're mistaken.

No, I'm not.

Of course you are, your position is absurd.

And your evidence, should I call it that, does not address the issue of
whether, to be specified, it must be specified in writing, which is the
issue in question.

How can it be otherwise?

Old December 21st 04, 02:49 PM
Jose

How can it be otherwise?

Things were specified before the dawn of writing. When my wife asks
me to go to the store and pick up yogurt, but only the "plain", not
the vanilla, she doesn't write it down. Nonetheless, the kind of
yougurt she wants is specified. Likewise, when she asks me to pick up
chips, I know from experience that she means a specific kind of chips.
(and no, I'm not talking about Intel or Motorola either).

Three hundred years ago, there =were= no dictionaries, but the
meanings of words were still specified through usage.

That's how it can be otherwise. "Modified straight in" is specified
in this same manner, although it ends up specified only to the locals.
Itinerants are left with a question, which should be asked. While
this may seem wickedly dangerous, the tradeoff is that less air time
on a busy channel is used up saying "modified straight in" (which
most pilots there understand) than saying "start at the intersection
of I210 and I14 and follow the channel southbound towards the runway".
I am presuming that the actual flight path has a good reason, and
simply not using that flight path is not an option.

So what does it mean to an itinerant pilot?

It means the pilot ought to ask what it means.

It means nothing.

That =you= don't know something does not drain its meaning.

You're mistaken.

No, I'm not.

Of course you are, your position is absurd.

I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid.

Jose
--
Freedom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old December 21st 04, 03:58 PM
Casey Wilson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jose" wrote in message
m...

I don't know how it came about, or when (though I suspect it dates from
early in the history of that tower). I doubt it's specified in writing
anywhere, but that doesn't stop it from being, in fact, specified.

Of course it does.

[invoking image of hiding behind something less someone catches me
agreeing with Mr. McNicoll, again] I've got to agree on that. It is the
same as policy -- if it ain't it writing, it ain't nuthin'.

Old December 21st 04, 04:45 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

I don't know how it came about, or when (though I suspect it dates from
early in the history of that tower). I doubt it's specified in writing
anywhere, but that doesn't stop it from being, in fact, specified.

Of course it does.

From the OED: "specify - 1. speak or treat of a matter etc. in detail; give
details or particulars."

It does not have to be written down to be specified or to be specific.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 21st 04, 04:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

From the OED: "specify - 1. speak or treat of a matter etc. in detail;
give
details or particulars."

It does not have to be written down to be specified or to be specific.

I suppose not. But if it isn't, the controller must explain what it means
each time he uses the phrase.

Old December 21st 04, 10:35 PM
john szpara

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:49:20 GMT, Jose
wrote:

That's how it can be otherwise. "Modified straight in" is specified
in this same manner, although it ends up specified only to the locals.
Itinerants are left with a question, which should be asked. While
this may seem wickedly dangerous, the tradeoff is that less air time
on a busy channel is used up saying "modified straight in" (which
most pilots there understand) than saying "start at the intersection
of I210 and I14 and follow the channel southbound towards the runway".
I am presuming that the actual flight path has a good reason, and
simply not using that flight path is not an option.

I didn't mean to create a scrap here.

FYI, I'm not itinerant at KHWD, it's my home airport.

What I meant was, I was not given specific instructions, as is often
the case at Hayward. You are normall told to fly to a specific point,
don't break certain altitudes, etc.

When the controller said "modified straight in", and no other
instructions, I assumed that to mean that I could fly at pilot's
discretion. For those of you with more hours than I (300), please
correct me if I'm wrong.
John Szpara
Affordable Satellite
Fiero Owner 2-84 Indy Pace cars, 86 Coupe, 88 Formula 3.4, 88 Coupe, 88GT
Old December 21st 04, 11:08 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"john szpara" wrote in message
news:1103668495.fa76b9a7292886cc9ad13045780a10bb@t eranews...

I didn't mean to create a scrap here.

FYI, I'm not itinerant at KHWD, it's my home airport.

What I meant was, I was not given specific instructions, as is often
the case at Hayward. You are normall told to fly to a specific point,
don't break certain altitudes, etc.

When the controller said "modified straight in", and no other
instructions, I assumed that to mean that I could fly at pilot's
discretion. For those of you with more hours than I (300), please
correct me if I'm wrong.

Your interpretation is as correct as any other.

Old December 21st 04, 11:14 PM

Widely scattered with an occluded front.

Old December 21st 04, 11:18 PM
Stefan

Michael wrote:

First off, we've already done it with Class F airspace - we don't have
any in the US. We don't have to have class D either.

This has nothing to do with ICAO compliance. Each ICAO member is free
whether or not it wants to use a certain airspace class. The country
where I live, for example, does not use airspace class A, B and F. We
only have C, D, E and G. Nothing wrong with this.

Third, I don't see what the big deal is about local regulation. Yes,
it makes things more complicated for the huge international operator,

And for the average private pilot who wants to cross a border now and
then. Maybe not an issue when you live in the middle of the USA without
any intention of ever leaving it, but I live at 1nm from a border and
3nm from another border. Oh, and when I fly 150nm, then I can choose
between two more borders...

Intuition is a very personal thing. What may be intuitive to you may
not be so to me and vice versa.

Actually, that's not true. There is a whole science of ergonomics,

If people keep right-clicking somewhere where such an action has

:-)

If 20 years ago, somebody told about right-clicking, what did you
*intuitively* expect??

Intuition is just another word for experience.

Stefan