A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Nano4 won't talk to PC



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old June 3rd 20, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 122
Default Nano4 won't talk to PC

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 12:36:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 12:24:51 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 6:55:25 AM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
On 6/2/20 6:59 AM, wrote:
I've gotten the "device recognized" bong tone with some charge only cables, but no data transfer.

Windows: The World's best selling virus.


Roger that. In the far past, I've been able to fix a problem like this
by removing the USB drivers and letting the system reinstall. But he's
already tried a different computer, so maybe not the issue here.


One more data point for the Nano4 being picky about USB cables. I've resorted to painting the end of the "special" Nano cable so it doesn't disappear into the sea of seemingly identical cables that accumulate over time.

Craig
JN


So what's different about the "special" cable?

Not sure what's different. I tried the half dozen or so that I had around, found one that worked and marked it. It's possible some of the cables are charge only, but didn't do exhaustive testing.
Ads
  #12  
Old June 3rd 20, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 427
Default Nano4 won't talk to PC

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 8:14:49 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 12:36:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 12:24:51 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 6:55:25 AM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
On 6/2/20 6:59 AM, wrote:
I've gotten the "device recognized" bong tone with some charge only cables, but no data transfer.

Windows: The World's best selling virus.


Roger that. In the far past, I've been able to fix a problem like this
by removing the USB drivers and letting the system reinstall. But he's
already tried a different computer, so maybe not the issue here.

One more data point for the Nano4 being picky about USB cables. I've resorted to painting the end of the "special" Nano cable so it doesn't disappear into the sea of seemingly identical cables that accumulate over time.

Craig
JN


So what's different about the "special" cable?

Not sure what's different. I tried the half dozen or so that I had around, found one that worked and marked it. It's possible some of the cables are charge only, but didn't do exhaustive testing.


I know of only 4 kinds of USB cables:
(1) charge and data (4 wires)
(2) charge only (missing the other 2 wires)
(3) OTG - have a fifth wire (inside a micro-USB or USB-C connector), connected to one of the other 4 wires to signal the device, used to connect peripherals to a smartphone with the phone acting as the host
(4) cables that were supposed to be one of the above but are damaged
If there are additional types I'd love to learn.
  #13  
Old June 3rd 20, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 373
Default Nano4 won't talk to PC

On 6/2/20 6:46 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 8:14:49 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 12:36:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 12:24:51 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 6:55:25 AM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
On 6/2/20 6:59 AM, wrote:
I've gotten the "device recognized" bong tone with some charge only cables, but no data transfer.

Windows: The World's best selling virus.


Roger that. In the far past, I've been able to fix a problem like this
by removing the USB drivers and letting the system reinstall. But he's
already tried a different computer, so maybe not the issue here.

One more data point for the Nano4 being picky about USB cables. I've resorted to painting the end of the "special" Nano cable so it doesn't disappear into the sea of seemingly identical cables that accumulate over time.

Craig
JN

So what's different about the "special" cable?

Not sure what's different. I tried the half dozen or so that I had around, found one that worked and marked it. It's possible some of the cables are charge only, but didn't do exhaustive testing.


I know of only 4 kinds of USB cables:
(1) charge and data (4 wires)
(2) charge only (missing the other 2 wires)
(3) OTG - have a fifth wire (inside a micro-USB or USB-C connector), connected to one of the other 4 wires to signal the device, used to connect peripherals to a smartphone with the phone acting as the host
(4) cables that were supposed to be one of the above but are damaged
If there are additional types I'd love to learn.


Not all power lines in USB cables are created equal. You can buy "fast
charge" cables that have lower resistance power lines than others,
useful for rapid charging of high-current devices. Sometimes with,
sometimes without data lines.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01H2W05...detail_2?psc=1


I ran into this when trying to power a Stratux device, it draws lots of
power and the Raspberry Pi is picky about getting enough voltage.

USB started at 100 ma on the power lines, quickly went to 500 ma, and
now has been pushed to multiple amps for some devices. The tiny
connectors and wires have had trouble keep up with the increased current.
  #14  
Old June 3rd 20, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ProfJ
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33
Default Nano4 won't talk to PC

On Monday, 1 June 2020 17:50:02 UTC-6, ProfJ wrote:
HI Folks,

Failing to download files from a Nano4 - I have searched back through the forum and found some similar threads but no solution. When I connect my Nano4 to a PC, it turns on, but the PC doesn't see it (in some cases it recognizes there is a USB device attached, but can't see any file or folder structure). I have tried the following:

1. Resetting the Nano.
2. Attaching the Nano in both power on and power off state
3. Multiple different USB cables
4. Two different PCs and both Windows and Mac OS's.

I have also tried emailing files from the Nano to myself (presumably via the LXNav server) but it can't get access, although it connects happily to Wifi.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jon


OK, thanks to everybody who posted replies. I tried a couple more PC/OS combinations and then collected every USB cable in the house and started through them, got it to connect on the fifth one. In my professional opinion (as a person with a PhD in electronic engineering and a 30-year career designing electronics) this sucks. It's not that hard to build a robust USB interface.
  #15  
Old June 3rd 20, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 699
Default Nano4 won't talk to PC

The "Universal" Serial Bus certainly doesn't appear to be all that universal. Take a look at all the assorted connector plugs. I have wrench sets with fewer variations!
  #16  
Old June 3rd 20, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 373
Default Nano4 won't talk to PC

On 6/2/20 8:38 PM, ProfJ wrote:
It's not that hard to build a robust USB interface.


Apparently it is in Slovenia. The manual talks about needing a special
USB level converter when using a Nano4 with SN less than 06099 with a
NanoPower cable.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Brand new Nano4 Flight recorder [email protected] Soaring 3 March 1st 20 02:20 PM
New Nano4 Overview Video Paul Remde Soaring 0 November 12th 19 10:17 PM
LXNAV Nano4 - Quick Review Paul Remde Soaring 1 February 28th 17 06:06 PM
King Johnny Calls In to Talk Radio in America - These calls are just a small random grouping of call-ins I've done in these last several weeks in America - King Johnny Calls In to Talk Radio in America Ian B MacLure Naval Aviation 0 April 14th 09 05:28 AM
Anyone want to talk me out of... Jon Kraus Owning 46 October 1st 04 08:25 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.