Nano4 won't talk to PC

Old June 3rd 20, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

Default Nano4 won't talk to PC

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 12:36:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 12:24:51 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 6:55:25 AM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
On 6/2/20 6:59 AM, wrote:
I've gotten the "device recognized" bong tone with some charge only cables, but no data transfer.

Windows: The World's best selling virus.

Roger that. In the far past, I've been able to fix a problem like this
by removing the USB drivers and letting the system reinstall. But he's
already tried a different computer, so maybe not the issue here.

One more data point for the Nano4 being picky about USB cables. I've resorted to painting the end of the "special" Nano cable so it doesn't disappear into the sea of seemingly identical cables that accumulate over time.

Craig
JN

So what's different about the "special" cable?

Not sure what's different. I tried the half dozen or so that I had around, found one that worked and marked it. It's possible some of the cables are charge only, but didn't do exhaustive testing.
Old June 3rd 20, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 6/2/20 6:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

I know of only 4 kinds of USB cables:
(1) charge and data (4 wires)
(2) charge only (missing the other 2 wires)
(3) OTG - have a fifth wire (inside a micro-USB or USB-C connector), connected to one of the other 4 wires to signal the device, used to connect peripherals to a smartphone with the phone acting as the host
(4) cables that were supposed to be one of the above but are damaged
If there are additional types I'd love to learn.
Old June 3rd 20, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 6/2/20 6:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

Not all power lines in USB cables are created equal. You can buy "fast
charge" cables that have lower resistance power lines than others,
useful for rapid charging of high-current devices. Sometimes with,
sometimes without data lines.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01H2W05...detail_2?psc=1

I ran into this when trying to power a Stratux device, it draws lots of
power and the Raspberry Pi is picky about getting enough voltage.

USB started at 100 ma on the power lines, quickly went to 500 ma, and
now has been pushed to multiple amps for some devices. The tiny
connectors and wires have had trouble keep up with the increased current.
Old June 3rd 20, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ProfJ

On Monday, 1 June 2020 17:50:02 UTC-6, ProfJ wrote:
HI Folks,

Failing to download files from a Nano4 - I have searched back through the forum and found some similar threads but no solution. When I connect my Nano4 to a PC, it turns on, but the PC doesn't see it (in some cases it recognizes there is a USB device attached, but can't see any file or folder structure). I have tried the following:

1. Resetting the Nano.
2. Attaching the Nano in both power on and power off state
3. Multiple different USB cables
4. Two different PCs and both Windows and Mac OS's.

I have also tried emailing files from the Nano to myself (presumably via the LXNav server) but it can't get access, although it connects happily to Wifi.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jon

OK, thanks to everybody who posted replies. I tried a couple more PC/OS combinations and then collected every USB cable in the house and started through them, got it to connect on the fifth one. In my professional opinion (as a person with a PhD in electronic engineering and a 30-year career designing electronics) this sucks. It's not that hard to build a robust USB interface.
Old June 3rd 20, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The "Universal" Serial Bus certainly doesn't appear to be all that universal. Take a look at all the assorted connector plugs. I have wrench sets with fewer variations!
Old June 3rd 20, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 6/2/20 8:38 PM, ProfJ wrote:
It's not that hard to build a robust USB interface.

Apparently it is in Slovenia. The manual talks about needing a special
USB level converter when using a Nano4 with SN less than 06099 with a
NanoPower cable.