Is this the death of GA

Old February 24th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Default Is this the death of GA

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:

So you're to blame for the rising cost!

Damn. That must be it. I assumed it was something to do with the moon
landings (the day I was born as it happens).

Andy
Old February 24th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
William Hung writes:

I bet even MX splurches on hit sim equipment such as a
compfortable chair, memories, high end graphics card, sound system,
high end monitors and joysticks...etc.

That is impossible without money.

So get a real job.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old February 24th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Andy Hawkins wrote in
:

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:

So you're to blame for the rising cost!

Damn. That must be it. I assumed it was something to do with the moon
landings (the day I was born as it happens).

Wow! So your parents are probably one of a tiny handful who missed it!

Bertie
Old February 24th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 23, 6:38 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

An interesting study would be the liability insurance burden of the
cost of an airplane built in 1974 and one built in 2008.

But there has to be a cost reduction factor as well, due to increased
efficiency in all aspects of production.

Well, we're still flying the same airplanes for the most part!

I think theyre mor expensive to buy new as well..

Bertie

True! The majority of SEL available to rent in 2008 are pre 1980
vintage.

Though I can't complain about that, as I fly a 1947 Straight 35 (V
tail) from time to time.

How much is a new 172 today? $250k? It would have to cost $60k in 1975
to be equivalent.

With the focus of liability suits towards the deepest pockets, I'm
sure a huge chuck of any new a/c price is cash for the war chest.

Dan

Old February 24th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:

Wow! So your parents are probably one of a tiny handful who missed it!

Well, my mum did. In those days, my dad was probably at home!

Andy
Old February 24th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Andy Hawkins wrote in
:

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:

Wow! So your parents are probably one of a tiny handful who missed it!

Well, my mum did. In those days, my dad was probably at home!

Was pretty cool

Bertie
Old February 24th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lee McGee

Tough to find which post in this long thread to correctly reply to, my
apologies.

But I do have some thoughts...

Disposable income aside, I believe that this is the death of old-school GA,
and it is the birth of 21st century GA.

Airplanes that burn 8 GPH, 14 GPH and especially old twins burning 28GPH
(or more) are going to probably be dead except for the well-off hobbyists
who love then and can still afford to fly them. I was just at an AOPA town
hall the other night and one of the older pilots (aren't we mostly all old?)
in the room remarked that his biggest problem in GA was paying $400 to
refill the tanks of his B55 Baron after a flight!

I think that operating cost is the big issue for our older airplanes, newer
airplanes such as Cirrus, Diamonds, etc are going to look more and more
appealing, these are the future. Now - envision these with REALLY
efficient new technology engines, not Lycomings or Continentals... and
environmentally sound low-carbon engines, and this is the future of GA.

Usually I fly alone or with one other person. I rent these days. The
model year 2000 Diamond DA-20 I rent goes 150mph at 5.5 GPH. This would
be an OK airplane to own in the 21st century. You can buy them used
$100k.

Get used to it. Our old airplanes might still be worth a little more year
after year, but they aren't worth a fraction of the price of new, capable,
more efficient modern GA airplanes.

Thanks, and this just an opinion,

I drive a Prius. This probably puts my comments in perspective. :-)

Lee McGee

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
writes:

When my father flew in the late 60s and early 70s, he paid $25/ hour
(wet) for a Cherokee 140 as a member of a club ($25/month dues).

He also bought a new 1969 Ford Galaxie 500 for $1900. (2 doors, 302
V-8, foam green with Landau vinyl roof -- sweet)

Of course he was proud to earn $200+/week.

So if he earned $104,000 a year today, the cost of aviation would be about
the
same for him.

Old February 24th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 23, 9:01 pm, "Lee McGee" wrote:

I think that operating cost is the big issue for our older airplanes, newer
airplanes such as Cirrus, Diamonds, etc are going to look more and more
appealing, these are the future. Now - envision these with REALLY
efficient new technology engines, not Lycomings or Continentals... and
environmentally sound low-carbon engines, and this is the future of GA.

I drive a Prius. This probably puts my comments in perspective. :-)

I'm with you on all but the "low-carbon."

Biggest crock of shinola ever foisted upon humanity since Milli
Vanilli.

And before you call me a "oil company lackey," understand that I don't
care if the engine's powered by mouse turds.

Thus, I see Al Gore as a huge source of potential energy.

Dan

Old February 24th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 23, 8:29 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Was pretty cool

Bertie

Yeah. That walking on the moon thing.

cool.

Death? Ol Shy & Bashful Rotorcraft 10 July 9th 06 12:31 AM
The death of the A-65? Michael Horowitz Home Built 35 November 23rd 05 12:08 AM
death of GA in NY [email protected] Piloting 51 September 16th 05 11:36 PM