Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

Old August 14th 19, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

I transitioned from a flapped ship to an LS8-18. No regrets.
Unless you are flat out racing, the simplicity and predictability of a modern unflapped ship are wonderful to me. Only if going nose to nose at over 100 knots does this ship give anything up to a flapped ship.

Old August 14th 19, 08:32 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6PK View Post
Snip/paste: "AND it will easily out-climb a Libelle. "
I very much doubt that....!
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I'm not bashing the Libelle (it was a masterpiece of it's era) but you are obviously a member of the Flat Earth Society.
Old August 14th 19, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

I don't think so...
The Libelle in the right hands will keep up if not out climb anything in it's class....period.
BTW presently I fly a DG but I did own a 201once...
Old August 14th 19, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The world isn’t flat???
Old August 14th 19, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

The Discus 2 is the sweetest flying ship. You won’t miss flaps. I transitioned from a Discus 2b to a Ventus 2bx but preferred the overall feel and handling of the Discus. I really only found the benefit of flaps on the odd slow tow.

Mike
Old August 14th 19, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:21:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
For simple long pleasure flights in the western US or for the rare flights in the Alps would I notice any real PRACTICAL difference between a Discus 2c and other flapped 18m ships? I have NO interest in competition. Thanks

OK, Victor,

After all the top posts here, what is going to be your pleasure, Flap, or no flap?

The only glider I refuse to get into; A 2-33! I think Schweizer hated instructors. That is why the back of one is built to fit a pretzel...
Old August 14th 19, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Looking like “no flap” for sure. Lots of great responses. Appreciate them all. Words like “simple”, “predictable “ and “sweet handling” are what I hoped to hear.
Old August 14th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Old August 14th 19, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No, not looking at the Libelle. I know they’re well loved but I’ve never flown one. Looking for a new ship to avoid ownership hassles over the next 15-20 yrs that I plan to fly.
Old August 15th 19, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019, at 6:41:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
No, not looking at the Libelle. I know they’re well-loved, but I’ve never flown one. Looking for a new ship to avoid ownership hassles over the next 15-20 yrs that I plan to fly.

So, its flaps?

I've had my ASW27b since 1999. I bought it when the Mark was still trading. Comfortable glider to haul on the ground, easy to put together. Light wings. And as I get older, those 18Meter gliders are looking heavy if you put it in the box after each flight. I'm happy on the ground as I put it together, content in the air.

Don't discount this glider for the new toys of 18M if you're looking for sure pleasure flying with no competition in your future. But, in sports class, you might even beat a Libelle on a good day!

Good luck in your search.

Gary

More flaps? WingFlaps Piloting 36 May 26th 08 07:33 AM
flaps again Kobra Piloting 107 January 5th 08 05:31 PM
flaps Kobra[_4_] Piloting 84 July 16th 07 06:16 PM
flaps Kobra[_4_] Owning 85 July 16th 07 06:16 PM
FLAPS skysailor Soaring 36 September 7th 05 05:28 AM