Perlan 2 Project Updates

Old February 17th 09, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

Default Perlan 2 Project Updates

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:00:48 -0800, sisu1a wrote:

Does this mean the future is here? I also saw practical (1/2hr
duration...) jetpacks are now only a couple hundred grand, inc
training...

I think so! Who has read Larry Niven's "The Patchwork Girl"? Just add a
baggy shell suit type outer layer and you're there!

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 17th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:54:24 -0800 (PST), bildan
wrote:

All pressure suits undergo extensive testing without a human inside
but sooner or later, someone has to put it on and test it in a
vacuum. I'm sure MIT is not careless. The Bio-Suit project is well
funded and peer reviewed.

Indeed... but experience shows that things go wrong with prototypes.
If such a suit fails at FL 350+, the pilot is dead if he doesn't have
a pressure cabin... I knew extrenely few pilots who willingly choose
to do without redundancy.

There's a good cause why any application of a pressure cabin up to
Rutan's Spaceship One relied on a pressure cabin with a pressure suit
(or, in the case of the XB-70, a second pressure cabin shell around
the pilot's seat) as backup system.

Explosive decompression to hard vacuum is something that has been
deliberately tested on large primates and by accident on a few
humans. The subject will survive a minute or so and, if pressure and
oxygen are restored within that time, will fully recover. It IS an
injury accident, and something to avoid at all costs, but not
necessarily fatal or even disabling.

Even if the pilot survived the first minute in near-vacuum:
The problem is that it is going to take a lot longer to reach a denser
athmosphere, even if you manage to bail out.

Old February 19th 09, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

wrote:

All pressure suits undergo extensive testing without a human inside
but sooner or later, someone has to put it on and test it in a
vacuum. *I'm sure MIT is not careless. *The Bio-Suit project is well
funded and peer reviewed.

Indeed... but experience shows that things go wrong with prototypes.
If such a suit fails at FL 350+, the pilot is dead if he doesn't have
a pressure cabin... I knew extrenely few pilots who willingly choose
to do without redundancy.

There's a good cause why any application of a pressure cabin up to
Rutan's *Spaceship One relied on a pressure cabin with a pressure suit
(or, in the case of the XB-70, a second pressure cabin shell *around
the pilot's seat) as backup system.

As has been said I would think some kind of novel, lightweight, glider-
borne pressure cabin would be at least as likely to fail as the MIT-
developed and tested suit. However even if either/both failed as long
as the crew are getting pressurised oxygen to breathe they'd survive a
decompression, no? Humans don't pop in a vacuum (though bits might
swell up, re Kittenger) so consciousness might be maintained long
enough for a descent from high-level. Goodness how long that would
take in a glider though -- hours? I guess you'd have to bail out...

BTW though as I understand it the MIT suit works by applying
mechanical pressure rather than inflation, so there's not a lot to
fail in the first place.

Dan
Old February 19th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 19, 3:23*am, Dan G wrote:

As has been said I would think some kind of novel, lightweight, glider-
borne pressure cabin would be at least as likely to fail as the MIT-
developed and tested suit...

I suppose that's so. The art, science, and technology of pressure
vessel design and fabrication is quite mature, literally centuries
old. Of course, the pressure vessel containment failure at Rutan's
Scaled Composites a couple years ago that killed two or three people
shows that there is still something to be learned as we extend
composite construction into ksi pressures. But down around the 8.5 psi
pressure level like Perlan will use and like SpaceShip One and Global
Flyer have already applied, there's a pretty well-established
technology for making composite pressure hulls and securing the
viewing ports and hatches that it takes to make them useable.

As an aside, it's interesting to see that the Perlan guys are looking
for 8.5 psi pressures. As another poster points out, you can get away
with a lot less pressure if your pilots breathe 100% O2 in accordance
with the law of partial pressures. Since air is about 1/5 oxygen, at
100% oxygen you can achieve the same partial pressure of O2 across the
semipermeable membranes of the alveoli with 15/5 = ~3psi as you would
get at sea level under normal circumstances.

Of course, the lessons of Apollo 1 inform us that 100% oxygen can be a
real fire hazard, especially at sea level pressures and when mixed
with various machinery and its lubricants and also a bunch of
electronics. One solution to that issue is the one they used with the
X-15 program: They filled the pressure suits with 100% O2 to a few
psi, and then pressurized the cabin with nitrogen to the same
pressure, resulting in a limp pressure suit and a non-flammable cabin
atmosphere. That's the solution I think I might have chosen for a
similar mission profile to that of Perlan.

Based on their 8.5psi cabin pressure, I'm guessing that what they have
planned is to pressurize the cabin with regular air (20% O2, 80% N2,
or maybe a bit richer) to 8.5psi, which replicates the environment
you'd see down around 10,000 or 12,000 feet. They'll put the crew in
David Clark 1030-series suits pressured up to the same 8.5psi as the
cabin, and feed supplemental oxygen into the helmet enclosure to get
blood oxygen saturation up to what you'd see at sea level. The suits
will be limp and relatively easy to wear except in the case of cabin
pressure failure.

BTW though as I understand it the MIT suit works by applying
mechanical pressure rather than inflation, so there's not a lot to
fail in the first place.

True enough. But when I estimated mission profiles for a Perlan-type
program, it looked like you'd want to allow for a flight time of up to
12 hours. I'm not sure how the MIT suit works, but if its based on
mechanical pressure I can imagine that it might be quite fatiguing
after a few hours. Adding into the equation the work required to fly a
rather heavy 20-meter glider with unpowered controls probably makes it
a lot worse pretty fast.

Thanks, Bob K.
www.hpaircraft.com
Old February 20th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Feb 20, 5:55*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
I suppose that's so. The art, science, and technology of pressure
vessel design and fabrication is quite mature, literally centuries
old. Of course, the pressure vessel containment failure at Rutan's
Scaled Composites a couple years ago that killed two or three people
shows that there is still something to be learned as we extend
composite construction into ksi pressures.

Building a tank that holds pressure is one thing, building one that is
shrapnel resistant is something else.

Region 12 updates g l i d e r s t u d Soaring 3 April 24th 08 10:13 PM
More Updates Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 November 4th 07 10:29 PM
Perlan Goes to 50,000+ Shawn Knickerbocker Soaring 2 September 1st 06 09:05 PM
Perlan height record in Argentina Charles Yeates Soaring 3 September 1st 06 12:59 PM
Perlan project - high wave flights Bill Daniels Soaring 2 October 20th 05 01:15 AM