Russia Sailplanes website

Old February 20th 04, 07:04 PM
Christian Husvik

Hei!

Mark James Boyd wrote:

A trailer+glider that requires a V8 truck to tow is different
from one I can tow with a 6 cylinder SUV. The weight is there,
and has other implications than just rigging...

I used to tow our LS-3a with a Toyota Corolla with 1.6l engine without
any problems at all. Now I have Carina E with a 2.0l engine for more
comfort though; it tows two-seaters like the ASK-21 and Janus just fine,
and I wouldn't expect an open-class glider to pose any difficulties. So
I do wonder what kind of gliders would require a V8 truck.

[...], these are good club gliders and entry level first
gliders. If someone has quite a bit more experience, or knows
for sure they will stick with the sport like us fanatics, something
sexier may be warranted.

I don't see any reason why someone would need to own an "entry level"
glider privately; you can fly those in your club. When the need for
your own glider arrives you are no longer a beginner, and you are better
off with a used LS-3, ASW-20 or something similar.

Christian 8-)

Old February 20th 04, 08:02 PM
Mark James Boyd

Christian Husvik wrote:
Hei!

Mark James Boyd wrote:

A trailer+glider that requires a V8 truck to tow is different
from one I can tow with a 6 cylinder SUV. The weight is there,
and has other implications than just rigging...

I used to tow our LS-3a with a Toyota Corolla with 1.6l engine without
any problems at all. Now I have Carina E with a 2.0l engine for more
comfort though; it tows two-seaters like the ASK-21 and Janus just fine,
and I wouldn't expect an open-class glider to pose any difficulties. So
I do wonder what kind of gliders would require a V8 truck.

Try towing something heavy uphill, both ways, in the snow. 3 percent or
better grade. Sure sure, on the flat roads and beaches of Santa
Cruz I'd tow a catamaran, but a heavy trailer of ski gear up
to Tahoe with four people seemed to like a nice big engine...

If your path is flat enough, and acceleration is no issue, you
can tow your 600# glider with a bicycle, right?

[...], these are good club gliders and entry level first
gliders. If someone has quite a bit more experience, or knows
for sure they will stick with the sport like us fanatics, something
sexier may be warranted.

I don't see any reason why someone would need to own an "entry level"
glider privately; you can fly those in your club. When the need for
your own glider arrives you are no longer a beginner, and you are better
off with a used LS-3, ASW-20 or something similar.

I think there are those who don't want a "club" glider
because it may be too heavily scheduled and they want something they don't
have to compete for time with. This and going to remote gliding
spots without getting "permission." This is the case for my club
PW-5 and is a little bit of a hassle.

But if the person is no longer a beginner, then sure, they're
gonna want more performance, and if they don't mind the
required "extras" then yep, get something faster...

Christian 8-)

Old February 20th 04, 08:03 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Liam Finley wrote:
(Mark James Boyd) wrote in message news:4035b4c5$1@darkstar...

A trailer+glider that requires a V8 truck to tow is different
from one I can tow with a 6 cylinder SUV. The weight is there,
and has other implications than just rigging...

WTF? I've owned two 600-lb 15m gliders, and I've never used more than
4 cylinders to tow them.

Perhaps you forgot to release the parking brake?

LOL. I bet you live somewhere a bit flat? Good for you...

Old February 20th 04, 11:03 PM
Lauren Reitz

If I can tow a horse trailer with two 1200 lb horses up Seven Mountains
(322 just west of Mifflin Co. Airport in PA) at 55mph with a 6-cylinder
Explorer, I don't know what glider you could be hauling that would
require a V8.

Cheers.

Liam Finley wrote:
(Mark James Boyd) wrote in message news:...

A trailer+glider that requires a V8 truck to tow is different
from one I can tow with a 6 cylinder SUV. The weight is there,
and has other implications than just rigging...

WTF? I've owned two 600-lb 15m gliders, and I've never used more than
4 cylinders to tow them.

Perhaps you forgot to release the parking brake?

LOL. I bet you live somewhere a bit flat? Good for you...

Website Mltry.- Your Information, Customized for You, Family Communication, Chat, Please Help by Visiting and Signing Gues Wolf Naval Aviation 0 January 8th 05 06:16 AM
Russia Threatens to Strike Terror Bases Dav1936531 Military Aviation 51 September 18th 04 12:52 AM
P-3 Orion website updated Marco P.J. Borst Naval Aviation 0 March 6th 04 08:21 PM
Old website suddenly dies, replaced by new one Jack Glendening Soaring 2 February 8th 04 05:31 PM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM