Portable/handheld radio

Old February 21st 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

Default Portable/handheld radio

I am just about ready to buy an older Taylorcraft that has no electrical
system. I am looking for recommendations on a battery operated radio to use
in the plane. I would really like one that also works as an intercom.

Danny Deger

Old February 21st 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michelle P

Danny Deger wrote:
I am just about ready to buy an older Taylorcraft that has no electrical
system. I am looking for recommendations on a battery operated radio to use
in the plane. I would really like one that also works as an intercom.

Danny Deger

any icom aviation product will do. The more power the better. I have an
old Icom A22 brick. still works great Have used it twice.
Michelle P
Old February 21st 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Danny Deger" wrote:

I am just about ready to buy an older Taylorcraft that has no electrical
system. I am looking for recommendations on a battery operated radio to use
in the plane. I would really like one that also works as an intercom.

I fly a 1945 Champ. I have flown for the past 25 years with an ICOM A2
or A20 and using an RST-442 portable intercom. I had an external antenna
installed on the wing root fairing and fed the coax into the cabin at
the leading edge of the wing where it covers the top corner of the
windscreen. This space also served as a convenient space to store the
cable when not in use.
Old February 21st 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Galban

On Feb 20, 11:25 pm, "Danny Deger" wrote:
I am just about ready to buy an older Taylorcraft that has no electrical
system. I am looking for recommendations on a battery operated radio to use
in the plane. I would really like one that also works as an intercom.

I don't know of any handheld radio that works as an intercom. Those
are usually two separate units. I've had great luck with the Softcomm
portable intercoms. I've had my current one for over 10 yrs.

I just retired my old KX-99 handheld and bought an Icom A-6. The
A-24 version has the nav channels. Since I've never been impressed
with any handheld's nav capabilities, I opted to skip that feature
altogether and go with the A-6.

It's an excellent radio. I can pick up ground traffic at PHX, which
is 5 miles away. Something my old KX-99 can't do. I've had nothing
but good reports on the transmitter, both in the plane and out.

I bought mine from Marv Golden, who not only had a great price on
the unit, but was also offering a free alkaline battery pack with the
unit, along with all of the usual stuff like a charger, Nicad pack and
headset adapter.

BTW- An external antenna makes a huge difference in your transmission
quality. I used to use my old KX-99 as my primary radio when I was
based at a class B airport. With the external antenna, I had no
problems talking to approach from 30 miles out. When I only used the
installed rubber duck antenna, I was lucky to transmit 3-4 miles.

John Galban======N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old February 21st 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article . com,
"John Galban" wrote:

I just retired my old KX-99 handheld and bought an Icom A-6. The
A-24 version has the nav channels. Since I've never been impressed
with any handheld's nav capabilities, I opted to skip that feature
altogether and go with the A-6.

The advantage of having the NAV frequencies is that you can duplex with
AFSS over a VOR. The radio can be set to listen on the VOR frequency and
transmit on the COM frequency when the PTT is depressed.
The NAV function does not work well because of the antenna polarization.
NAV frequencies are horizontal, COM frequencies are vertical.
Old February 21st 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Danny Deger" wrote in message
I am just about ready to buy an older Taylorcraft that has no electrical
system. I am looking for recommendations on a battery operated radio to
use in the plane. I would really like one that also works as an intercom.

Danny Deger

Thanks for all of the posts. It looks like I need two separate units. One
for the radio and one for the intercom. I may just go with the radio and a
hand held mic. The Tcraft is side by side, so an intercom is not needed
that badly.

Can anyone give me ideas how and where to mount the radio? I am thinking on
the panel (if there is room) with the antenna up far enough to give it some
exposure. If you have any, please email me some pics of your mounting
technique.

Danny Deger

Old February 21st 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Galban

On Feb 21, 9:32 am, john smith wrote:
In article . com,

The advantage of having the NAV frequencies is that you can duplex with
AFSS over a VOR. The radio can be set to listen on the VOR frequency and
transmit on the COM frequency when the PTT is depressed.
The NAV function does not work well because of the antenna polarization.
NAV frequencies are horizontal, COM frequencies are vertical.

That is true. It was a handy feature 20 yrs. ago, but the
proliferation of RCOs, even out here in the west, means that it's a
pretty rare occasion that you actually have to talk to and FSS over a
VOR. I haven't done it in years. YMMV.

Antenna polarization is the key to nav performance on the
handheld. I once hooked mine up to the horizontal nav antenna
instead of the vertical com antenna. Nav performance was rock solid,
but my com performance suffered quite a bit.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old February 21st 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Galban

On Feb 21, 9:52 am, "Danny Deger" wrote:

Can anyone give me ideas how and where to mount the radio? I am thinking on
the panel (if there is room) with the antenna up far enough to give it some
exposure. If you have any, please email me some pics of your mounting
technique.

First, I'd recommend borrowing a handheld and trying it out in your
plane. Many older planes that don't have electrical systems, also
don't have very good shielding on the ignition systems. I've flown
some old Champs and Cubs that had so much ignition noise that the
handheld was useless. Best to try it out before you buy.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old February 21st 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Denton

You bring up an interesting point...

I wonder if there is some sort of "black box" that will allow you to connect
both a Com and a Nav to a handheld at the same time?

oups.com...

Old February 21st 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Danny Deger" wrote:

Can anyone give me ideas how and where to mount the radio? I am thinking on
the panel (if there is room) with the antenna up far enough to give it some
exposure. If you have any, please email me some pics of your mounting
technique.

With the external antenna, I have a 3.5-inch wide nylon webbing strap
that goes around my thigh. The belt clip on the radio slides onto the
webbing and the radio rests on my thigh. The buttons and knobs are
easily accessible and the LCD display is readily visible.

HANDHELD RADIO [email protected] Soaring 22 March 17th 16 03:16 PM
Navman PiN 570 - PDA/Navigation Portable Handheld Device Doug Haluza Soaring 1 August 28th 06 06:04 PM
Portable Radio Waduino Soaring 12 September 14th 05 06:36 PM
Portable radio scanners Casey Wilson Piloting 1 August 1st 05 02:05 PM
Portable XM Radio receiver in the cockpit? Peter R. Piloting 13 September 4th 04 03:46 AM