FlywithCE

Old January 9th 08, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PC[_2_]

Default FlywithCE

Probably a bit late to ask but wondering how those who use FlywithCE find
it. I have purchased it as an alternative to WinPilot. I do like some of the
features but so far have had some problems also. Hopefully just learner's
things but perhaps someone can help with these issues.
1. Map quality somewhat less resolution than the.wp3 files that you download
for WinPilot. Rather than load a specific file in FlywithCE you select a
lat/long and radius and download a file of that area.
2. So far have not found a way to quickly get GPS lat/long for present
position. Very important in landout situation.
3. Airspace file shows up as OK in program file menu but nothing on screen
to show it is really incorporated.
4. Suggested method for Marking Position as in last good thermal does not
work, i.e. tap screen with stylus and option to save a new position is
supposed to appear.

Can someone confirm these features are available in FlywithCE?
Cheers
Peter

Old January 10th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I use it and like it very much. It does the job and is simple to
use. A major benefit when you're in new locations and need info at
the ready.

1 Map Quality: I dont know too much about the WP maps, but the FwCE
stuff works when needed. I dont use it regularly as my location is
pretty flat. Flat terrain maps are boring to look at. Most of the
time I leave the map off and use the waypoints only.
2 Lat/Long: have groundspeed displayed and tap it. It will bring up a
box displaying the Lat/Long, Track, Groundspeed, GPS Altitude, Nav
Status, and number of satellites.
3 Airspace files: I had this problem as well in the beginning. Turns
out my airspace files were formatted bad. I did a little checking and
made sure the formats were ok, then double checked the airspace tab to
enable the specific classes. Also nice that you can show the whole
airspace colored or just the boundaries. Also very interesting when
the sectional is displayed and you can see any differences between the
sectional airspace and the airspace files imported. Very eye opening
in some places.
4 Marking Position: thermal positions are marked on the map screen
showing location and rate of climb (or sink) automatically when
flying. Better to find the position out the window and get a fix that
way. However, I have used this feature when re-entering the area
after several hours and many miles have come and gone.

Above all else, the ease of use is the best feature and the support
from Uros is fantastic. The capability to have the program registered
to an SD card is also very cool, gives you oppurtunity to try out
different PDA's before you buy one (or if you need a better one
eventually).

Britton