C-182 or C-1820RG, or C-210....

Old December 6th 03, 03:48 PM
EDR

In article , Jim
wrote:

I looked at their website a few weeks ago and came away with the same "Huh?"
Somebody please correct me 'cause I admit I'm confused. The '78 182RG I've
been flying has a Lycoming O-540 derated to 235hp. I understand that older
182's had the Continental O-470 rated at 230hp. Do newer 182's also have
the Continental? Did Cessna only use the Lycoming for the RG models due to
something such as ability to mount the carburator horizontally? I also
noted that the 260SE also uses the O470 rather than the Lycoming.

Up until the production line was restarted in the late 90's, the
derated 0-470 Continental was the engine from the factory.
There were/are Continental 0-520 conversions available.
When production was restarted in 97 (?), the aircraft came with the
Lycoming fuel injected engine installed. Remember that Textron owns
bothe Cessna and Lycoming.
Old December 6th 03, 06:24 PM
Montblack

("EDR" wrote)
snip
When production was restarted in 97 (?), the aircraft came with the
Lycoming fuel injected engine installed. Remember that Textron owns
bothe Cessna and Lycoming.

The Pponk conversion apparently removes the fuel injection and replaces it
with a carb...huh?

--
Montblack
http://lumma.de/mt/archives/bart.gif

Old December 8th 03, 03:29 AM
Newps

Montblack wrote:

The Pponk conversion apparently removes the fuel injection and replaces it
with a carb...huh?

Yep, get rid of all that needless crap. You start with either the
O470U, which has the case and crank of a 520, or one of a few different
kinds of the 520. My engine has about 1100 hours and when it's time I
will be going with the Pponk. With the flow ported valves you get 275
hp. All that and low compression too. I can hardly wait.