Still need or want an ELT

Old March 25th 14, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Still need or want an ELT

With the new technology of SPOT and InReach, do you still need or want an ELT?
Old March 25th 14, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:54:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
With the new technology of SPOT and InReach, do you still need or want an ELT?

I have a 121.5 ELT available if anyone wants one. E-mail me if interested.
Old March 25th 14, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:01:29 PM UTC-4, David Reitter wrote:
On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:54:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:

With the new technology of SPOT and InReach, do you still need or want an ELT?

I have a 121.5 ELT available if anyone wants one. E-mail me if interested.

how much $ ?
Old March 25th 14, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:54:41 AM UTC-7, wrote:
With the new technology of SPOT and InReach, do you still need or want an ELT?

I removed my ELT. SPOT gives my track and even if I'm unable to activate 911 emergency or HELP, the rescue people have my last SPOT position to start the search.
JJ
Old March 25th 14, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:54:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
With the new technology of SPOT and InReach, do you still need or want an ELT?

The ELT is paid for, so why not leave it in for some additional safety margin.
Additionally, if the Spot antenna does not see the sky, it is of much more limited effectivness
UH
Old March 26th 14, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:01:29 PM UTC-4, David Reitter wrote:
On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:54:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:

With the new technology of SPOT and InReach, do you still need or want an ELT?

I have a 121.5 ELT available if anyone wants one. E-mail me if interested.

If you have an ELT in search for a home - I would take good care of it I will pay for shipping let me know.

WH1
Old March 26th 14, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:23:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:54:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:

With the new technology of SPOT and InReach, do you still need or want an ELT?

The ELT is paid for, so why not leave it in for some additional safety margin.

Additionally, if the Spot antenna does not see the sky, it is

UH

I put my ship on a diet because she has gained 15 ugly, unwanted, unnecessary pounds over the sports class maximum limit (before penalty is applied). First to go was 5# ELT, then I trimmed my survival kit down to bare minimums.......had 2 flashlights in there and neither one of them worked! Several all-purpose tools, tarps, rope, and assorted never used goodies for another 5#. Then my spare battery which I NEVER used gave me a total of 15# removed. I have a 12 a/h LiFe that runs everything for 4 + hours and It is new and I charge it before every flight.

The SPOT shows your track in near real time and if I am looking at putting the bird in a field (non airport)..............I may go ahead and hit the HELP button before landing. Won't hurt anything and as TA showed us, it will transmit your actual position.
Cheers,
JJ