More facts on KVKX closing

Old November 6th 05, 02:54 AM
John Swarey

Default More facts on KVKX closing

As I suspected, the real reason for the closure of Potomac Airfield is
the morons at Hyde. I have noticed for quite some time that there are
certain people at Hyde who seem to have a vendetta against Potomac.
They are extremely lucky I am no longer based at VKX. If they had
caused my very expensive plane to be stranded, they would have to deal
with me face to face. I can assure you that would not be pleasant.
Consider yourself lucky, asshole.

Sorry for the formatting...it's juts pasted from email.

ARE YOU CURIOUS WHY POTOMAC GOT ZAPPED BY TSA?

QUESTION: How do you make a nazi?

ANSWER: you give small people rules they can lord over others, which
makes
them feel like big people.

TSA are NOT the small people in this, not at all, (believe it or not),

The TSA folks have always been courteous, professional, polite, and
friendly;
using JUDGEMENT.

The nazis in this case are certain persons at a nearby competing
airfield who
failed to use JUDGEMENT.

BACKGROUND - For over three years now, TSA would routinely drop by for
an
'inspection' of the field, procedures, etc.

We've been doing that for four years, no problem.

As Potomac Pilots know, in addition to the funny airspace stuff, we
use
essentially the 'community watch' that USSS suggested years ago.

People keeping an eye on other folks they personally know, to make
sure nothing
untoward is going on.

One person designated to make a call to a certain place under certain
conditions, merely to make sure the call gets made.

No, I was not meticulously checking peoples' drivers licenses, because
at
Potomac, we all know each other quite well.

Thus technically, while the TSA procedural speed limit was '55mph,' we
were
running at about 59 mph.

Technically over the speed limit, but well within the intent of the
rules.

So what happened?

Element #1:

My ADIZ newsletter poked some serious holes in the ADIZ.

That set the inflammatory stage; but my opinions often do.

I thought that might 'draw fire. No real harm in that, sometimes
drawing fire
is a very good thing.

I'm trying to replace the ADIZ with something workable and effective,
operationally, and politically.

But no good deed goes un-punished.

Element #2:

Our little friends at Hyde, outraged that I was not meticulously
staying below
55 mph,

For example, by not checking the driver's licenses of people I've had
dinner,

Kept telling TSA that "Wartofsky is not following the rules like Hyde,
so what
is TSA going to do about it?"

Up to and including Hyde Field's'security coordinator' storming over
to Potomac
to lecture me.

No kidding.

(It is unlikely I will ever have him to dinner).

So Hyde's 'demands' to TSA essentially rubbed TSA's nose in
well-meaning,
poorly though out first-draft procedures, procedures even TSA has been
stuck with
because they lack the procedureal means to change it.

Hyde Field essentially coerced TSA to formally keep repeating to the
MD3
airports that the posted speed limit was 55, i.e. 'facial
recognition,' 'lists' etc.

Which of course shouldn't really apply to folks you've had to dinner,
not in
the real world.

Element #3:

About a week ago, one Sunday morning, at Potomac, someone from Hyde
Field,
because THEY didn't recognize 'someone standing around,' immediately
reported
'there is no security at Potomac.'

The people who got the call knew it stank, but it was a recorded line
to boot.

When I got word, I called the flight school, and initially got no
answer.

I made another call and was informed that the fellow had been there
since 8AM.

A bit later I called and reached him at the field.

No big deal... thinks I. He stepped out for a minute.

In fact, he told me he had the trots and was in the can.

SO HERE IT GOES:

The Hyde Field's call triggered about 7 inspections of Potomac by TSA
in two
days,

TSA just happened to come by when 'security person #1' had gone out
for an
short errand,

So the poor kid who had failed to 'identify himself' earlier to TSA,

...again didn't SAY he was 'security,' he said, quite correctly, he was
a flight
instructor.

And that #1 would be back in about 10 minutes.

So technically, while the kid WAS a 'security person,' he failed to
identify
himself to TSA.

So TSA annotated the file, 'no security persent #2.'

Next day more TSA inspectors, asking for a copy of our 'approved
security
plan.'

The last HARD COPY TSA ever signed being over 3 years old,

It was out of date, IT didn't show the new people, because it was a
three year
old copy!

The information they were looking for IS current SOMEWHERE ELSE, but
those
inspectors have no access to SOMEWHERE ELSE.

AND SO IT GOES SOME MO Once the machine gets spooled up, it keeps
going.

Next, TSA came by, quite embarassed, with a notice closing us down for
the
above violations.

Can you see me getting ****ed?

Potomac 'Violated' by Hyde Field weasels, because of their repeated
coercing of
TSA to narrowly apply the least effective of its its rules,

Because Hyde follows them to the letter. They 'have acces' to nothing
else.

'Violated' agani because some Hyde weasel dropped a dime, because HE
didn't
recognize anyone Sunday morning. (The security guy was out as his
tie-down).

'Violated' again because some poor nervous flight instructor forgot to
say
'ASC' when TSA asked him what he did.

(I should have briefed the kid better, so that's on me).

Then violated again because TSA inspectors, unaware of other
coordination tools
in use by government agencies (wink wink), walked off with a three
year old
piece of paper; and couldn't find there everything going on for the
last three
years.

IT IS SOMEWHERE ELSE...

So what happens when I get ****ed?

I questioned through Congress TSA's statutory authority for requiring
THEIR
signature on a PRIVATE-SECTOR program.

And I gave the EXOP a heads up; so now I suspect TSA is getting pinged
all
over.

TSA doesn't have signature authority, which is WHY they've never been
able to
sign anything since.

I think they want to do things, but they're caught between a rock and
a hard
place.

No big deal, recognize this as unexpected consequences of too much
information
in too many little boxes,

...keep everyone informed of what you're doing, ignore the catch 22 and
move on.

Regardles, TSA closed Potomac.

======

For those of you in Government getting this, you have my express
permission to
reproduce it.

I verify it to be true, and will do so under oath if necessary.

It is with my deepest regrets for the damage this has done to so many,
I never
started any fight.

Does anyone think I would drag 400 pilots into this?

Whose freedom do you think I've been protecting? Those 400 and many,
many
more.

From exactly this kind of thing.

When people at Hyde dragged a well-meaning but slightly confused
Federal agency
in to pick their fight for them,

(Because Hyde Field is such a negative, lousy, miserable airport,
populated by
people who cannot compete on anything based on what THEY can do),

I merely questioned the authority of that Federal agency, using their
limited
jurisdiction as the way to resovle the matter. But they don't want
their
jurisdiction limited, so that made it more complicated.

No good deed goes unpunished.

So now what?

The problem correctly understood is solvable. We solve the problem.

David Wartofsky 11-5-05
Old November 6th 05, 02:44 PM
.Blueskies.

"John Swarey" wrote in message ...
As I suspected, the real reason for the closure of Potomac Airfield is
the morons at Hyde. I have noticed for quite some time that there are
certain people at Hyde who seem to have a vendetta against Potomac.
They are extremely lucky I am no longer based at VKX. If they had
caused my very expensive plane to be stranded, they would have to deal
with me face to face. I can assure you that would not be pleasant.
Consider yourself lucky, asshole.

This ****ing contest is a pretty normal process between competitive organizations, but to say that the system that
created the TSA is not to blame is really putting your head in the sand. There is no way that the Hyde folks would cause
a plane to be 'stranded', that is entirely because of these misguided 'rules'....

Old November 6th 05, 10:39 PM
John Swarey

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:44:35 GMT, ".Blueskies."
wrote:

This ****ing contest is a pretty normal process between competitive organizations, but to say that the system that
created the TSA is not to blame is really putting your head in the sand. There is no way that the Hyde folks would cause
a plane to be 'stranded', that is entirely because of these misguided 'rules'....

Sure, the system sucks. Everyone in aviation knows that TSA is a joke,
the FRZ is a joke, and the ADIZ is a joke. To use the system to cause
harm to other pilots is beyond despicable.

Old November 7th 05, 02:38 PM
Jay Honeck

To use the system to cause
harm to other pilots is beyond despicable.

That says it all.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 8th 05, 12:23 AM
Michelle P

John,
Your mis-representation of the true facts is admirable.
Basically the manager of VKX got into a ****ing contest with a TSA agent
and lost. It was not the un-authorized departure out of W32 that caused
the closing. That just got the TSA's attention.
Michelle

John Swarey wrote:

[...]

From exactly this kind of thing.

Old November 8th 05, 06:18 AM
John Swarey

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:23:19 GMT, Michelle P
wrote:

John,
Your mis-representation of the true facts is admirable.
Basically the manager of VKX got into a ****ing contest with a TSA agent
and lost. It was not the un-authorized departure out of W32 that caused
the closing. That just got the TSA's attention.
Michelle

Michelle, your mis-hyphenation makes my ****ing brain want to explode.
Basically, you want to think it is OK to turn the fascist Bush regime
on law abiding Americans. You think there is some legitimacy in the
hijacking of American freedom. There is none. This is the ****ing
UNITED States of America.

We are not united turning each other in to the ****ing government. We
are DIVIDED. We are lost. You are lost.

If you find yourself attacking your fellow American, who are you?
Friend or foe?

Old November 8th 05, 06:20 AM
Jose

Basically, you want to think it is OK to turn the fascist Bush regime...

I don't think that conclusion is warranted from her post or her hyphenation.

When wrong is done, it's important to know where it comes from, despite
the fact that you may (legitimately) hate someplace else where the wrong
could be assigned. It's important to see the little picture as well as
the big picture. Citing the little picture does not invalidate the big one.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 8th 05, 10:44 AM
Michelle P

I find myself One who is willing to follow the rules laid down by the
"leaders" of our country weather or not I agree with them. I still get
to fly and that is really what counts.
Michelle

Old November 8th 05, 04:13 PM
John T

John Swarey wrote:

As I suspected, the real reason for the closure of Potomac Airfield is
the morons at Hyde.

From http://www.potomac-airfield.com/updated_november_3.htm:
quote
Recently, [David] Wartofsky publicly challenged TSA's implementation of
airspace security policy.

TSA replied by using a poorly disguised 'security violation' to shut down
Wartofsky's business and to drive away his customers.

An insider at TSA this morning confirmed to Wartofsky that in fact, TSA took
this action in retaliation to Wartofsky's challenge, as an attempt to
silence him.
/quote

This makes it sound like Wartofsky picked a fight with the TSA, not
suffering a stab in the back by Hyde users.

Wartofsky's own words from your post were "I was not meticulously staying
below 55 mph..." So he brags that he's not following the letter of the
rules, points to the "rats" at Hyde as the culprit for getting caught, then
claims he's just a victim of the TSA, then tries to claim he's tilting
windmills standing up for the little guy.

Which story am I to believe? And if this is the kind of double-facing
Wartofsky shows the TSA folks, I should expect VKX to stay closed.

You're right, though. It's a shame one pilot (Wartofsky) is causing this
much harm to so many others. Would VKX still be open to vetted pilots if
he'd been "meticulously staying at/below 55"? He'd have much more of my
sympathy if he'd given based aircraft notice he was about to pull this stunt
so they could relocate first.

--
John T
(who hasn't flown to either VKX or W32 in years)

Old November 8th 05, 05:20 PM
Jose

I find myself One who is willing to follow the rules laid down by the "leaders" of our country weather or not I agree with them.

That path leads to hell. Be careful just how far you traverse it.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.