Rutan hits 200k feet! Almost there!

Old May 14th 04, 07:02 PM
Teacherjh

Where's the similarity?

It opens doors - doors that people didn't even think were there.

Jose

Old May 14th 04, 07:06 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

It opens doors - doors that people didn't even think were there.

How so?

Old May 14th 04, 07:12 PM
Teacherjh

It opens doors - doors that people didn't even think were there.

How so?

By demonstrating that these things can be done. When people get used to that
idea, they begin to think about the uses that these things can be put to.
Right now there are people that believe that private suborbital flight is a
silly stunt, and won't even think of its implications.

Jose

Old May 14th 04, 07:29 PM
Steve Hix

In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

The earlier flights were not done in a re-usable spacecraft.

So what?

So that is a large part of what makes it different from the single-shot
suborbital flights of the past.

Not to mention the thousands of man-hours and cast of thousands needed
to turn around the shuttle.

One step on the road to non-government, gold-plated, decades-long
development projects type spaceflight.
Old May 14th 04, 07:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

By demonstrating that these things can be done.

We already know they can be done. These things were demonstrated over forty
years ago.

Old May 14th 04, 07:31 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Steve Hix" wrote in message

So that is a large part of what makes it different from the single-shot
suborbital flights of the past.

As another poster has already pointed out, two of the four previous manned
suborbital space flights were done with reusable craft.

Old May 14th 04, 07:32 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
"Teacherjh" wrote in message
By demonstrating that these things can be done.

We already know they can be done. These things were demonstrated over forty
years ago.

By hugely expensive government programs. This is metaphorically like the
garage tinkerer of 1930s science fiction novels going to space.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
" Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. "
Old May 14th 04, 07:46 PM
BllFs6

We already know they can be done. These things were demonstrated over forty
years ago.

And done for just a few piddly millions of dollars by nearly garage level
tinkers and builders?

I think not..

take care

Blll
Old May 14th 04, 07:49 PM
Teacherjh

We already know they can be done.

No, we didn't.

Not these things.

Jose

Old May 14th 04, 07:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"BllFs6" wrote in message

And done for just a few piddly millions of dollars by nearly garage level
tinkers and builders?

I think not..

So what is the significance of it being redone relatively cheaply by garage
level tinkerers and builders?