The Soft Release?

Old January 18th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Soft Release?

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but here in the USA it's pretty
wide spread to release the tension on the tow rope before pulling the
release handle by getting a little high, and then doing a shallow dive. If
I remember right, this came about because the tow hooks on the Schweizers
were swinging forward, beating themselves to pieces when pulled with a lot
of tension on the line. I think this maneuver is no longer necessary
because the tow hooks on the Schweizers were modified with a friction device
in the slot in front of the arm that cushions the arm as it swings forward,
but the practice is now standard in many places. It may be a good idea in
theory, but the reality of the situation is that this is not an easy thing
to do for a lot of pilots. There are many pilots that pull up too far, and
then actually overtake the rope before pulling the release, so that now the
end of the line is dangling somewhere along side the ship. I sounds like an
easy maneuver, but in my opinion, it's more dangerous than it's worth. I
think the practice of attempting a soft release should be eliminated. In my
opinion, pulling the release with tension on it is much safer. I think
undoing the occasional knot in the rope is far safer than the possibility of
getting tangled in the end of the rope. Is this practice used anywhere else
in the world? Please give me some feedback.

Gary Boggs

Old January 18th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article , Gary Boggs
writes
[...]

Although this doesn't relate directly to what you are asking,
its very useful for the tug pilot to be able to unmistakably feel when
the glider has released. Releasing with a bit of tension in the cable is
a way of doing this.
--
Mike Lindsay
Old January 18th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gary,

Arizona Soaring (Estrella) still uses the soft release. I got to
execute one during my BFR last week. If what you said about the
Schweizers is correct, I agree with you that they shouldn't be taught.

Terry C, you troll these waters and instruct at Estrella, what say you?

~ted/2NO

Old January 18th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Amen! I'm a firm believer that the release should be performed with
normal tension in the tow line. Way easier to see the rope spring away
from you so you can confirm the release and it's a lot harder to get
tangled up in the rope when it's going away from the nose of the glider.
The soft release is a great way to cause a serious accident that also
endangers the tow pilot unnecessarily. From the tow pilot end it's lots
easier to know someone has gotten off with a normal release and initiate
the proper turn immediately.

Gary

Old January 18th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In message , Gary Boggs
writes
[...]

Well,
I was taught to release under tension and then pull up once you are
certain that the rings were going away. This increases the glider -
rope separation as quickly as possible.

Regards

Robin

Gary Boggs

--
Robin Birch
Old January 18th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gary Boggs wrote:
I think the practice of attempting a soft release should be
eliminated. In my opinion, pulling the release with tension on it is
much safer.

As someone whose training was in 2-32s, I disagree. The soft release is
a useful technique. Too many times I've had to pry the release
mechanism back out with a big screwdriver.

Here's the thing. When I fly a modern fiberglass ship, I don't use the
soft release. But on the rare occasions when I find myself in a 2-33,
2-32, etc. I still use the soft release.

It's hardly an advanced maneuver to master. If a pilot has trouble
doing something that basic safely, how do they ever handle more than a
trivial amount of slack in the rope?

Jeremy
Old January 19th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
Gary Boggs wrote:
I think the practice of attempting a soft release should be
eliminated. In my opinion, pulling the release with tension on it is
much safer.

As someone whose training was in 2-32s, I disagree. The soft release is
a useful technique. Too many times I've had to pry the release
mechanism back out with a big screwdriver.

I'd have to agree with Jeremy on this. Although I still use the soft
release on a "high performance" ship. I have a Schreder-design
towhook. It seems to be a robust design. But why subject it to more
stress than necessary? I was first taught the soft release technique
by a CFIG in Hemet. I use it most of the time now. The procedure
seems perfectly safe. I won't complain about less wear on the release
mechanism. No tow pilot has complained.

Regards,

-Doug

Old January 19th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If an instructor can give me a logical explanation
for why...I will demonstrate either for him.

Personally, I release in thermals whether the rope
is tight or slack.

Old January 19th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Stewart Kissel wrote:
If an instructor can give me a logical explanation
for why...I will demonstrate either for him.

Personally, I release in thermals whether the rope
is tight or slack.

Yup! Pull the plug and crank it tight. If the release can't stand it
then fly a better glider!

Andy

Old January 19th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Gary Boggs" wrote in message
I think undoing the occasional knot in the rope is far safer than the
possibility of getting tangled in the end of the rope. Is this practice used
anywhere else in the world? Please give me some feedback.

It would have to be a pretty wild "soft" release to result in a glider
tangled in the tow rope. That said, I know of one nasty accident that resulted
from the apparent failure of a glider pilot to confirm release. Our site always
stressed that the glider must not move out of position until the glider pilot
has visually confirmed rope release. But it is far harder to visually confirm
release after a soft release because the ring tends to dangle out of sight below
the glider's nose and there is no rope "snap" to observe.

I vote for a normal release.

Vaughn