Cessna 414! Weight & Balance

Old February 11th 05, 11:47 PM

Default Cessna 414! Weight & Balance

Does anyone have a POH or experience flying a Cessna 414A? I ask,
because we are flying one down to Daytona next month with 7 souls (incl
2 pilots) and light baggabe (60 lbs each). I would like to know the W&B
calculations.

I have flown this airplane with 4 pax and full fuel and it handles just
fine, but with 7, I am wondering if we need to pass on some fuel?

The aircraft in question belongs to my friend and although I am multi
rated, have only flown this plane a couple of times.

It does have the RAM conversion which I am told increases the useful
load to 2350 Lbs? RAM's site states 2000Lbs?

I trust my friend, he is a great pilot, but he just added the 7th
person to this trip and I am the kind of guy that needs to know for
myself.

I have asked for a copy of the POH and hopefully will have this by next
week.

Any info would be appreciated. Paul

Old February 16th 05, 05:47 AM
Mike W.

With the RAM conversion (I assume some sort of engine/prop upgrade?) and the
full load; in addition to the POH, you really should get the actual current
w&b for that individual aircraft to do your w&b calcs. Your friend is going
to be PIC? Have him show you the w&b calcs for the trip, it's a necessary
item to make a flight legal and safe. Check out FAR §91.103. Are you sure
you can even get it off the ground?
Am I reading this right, 7 persons plus 60lbs bags each? I am betting those
bags will cost you some fuel capacity.

ups.com...

Old February 24th 05, 11:33 PM

Dear Paul,

Just talked with my flight instructor. He flies a 414A with RAM.
Doesn't sound good if those are 7 big or even average size people. He
says the useage load is 2000 pounds and he'd need more information.
Like the actual weight of the airplane. Elevation of where you are
leaving from. "If there's any elevation involved you might need three
miles to clear a tree, or you might have to fly with less fuel" Sounds
kind of marginal to me. He's not Interenet friendly, and I am barely.
(Already accidentally deleted the message twice trying to go back.
DUH) So not sure how you two can get together to discuss it. If you
could get you phone number to me and what would be a good time to call,
I could pass it along to him. Just be careful. He was worried about
if you lost an engine. Whatever you do put the heaviest people in the
middle to help balance it. Don't get aft CG. Be careful and God
bless. Carol, The Homesick Angel. Low-time single engine pilot who
has only flown overpowered light-loaded aircraft.

My 1957 STOL 182 is over weight with 4 average people and full fuel.
Flown at gross weight once and could feel the difference. We have a
2000 foot grass runway, we only leave with two or three average people
aboard and full fuel and are off before halfway down the runway. Our
personal rule is if you aren't off or landed by half-way, either go
around and try to land again or abort take off. Never had to do
either. My husband is a very experienced pilot and I'm a low-timer.
Whenever he gets a plane he adds as much HP as possible so I'm used to
having plenty of extra power and gotten used to climbing "like a
homesick angel" and being able to get myself out of a jam by adding
more power. If I can't be airborn in the couple of hundred feet and
climb out at 1,000 or 1,500 FPM even on these 100 degree plus Texas
days, it just doesn't feel right.. Probably that extra HP has made me
lax in piloting skills as I can just add power and get out things
straightened out quickly. Just be careful and be sure to check and
double check all the facts and figures.