Student Pilot at 50

Old March 13th 04, 03:26 PM
TF

Default Student Pilot at 50

Sound like alot of wisdom in this newsgroup would appreciate the same about
what my prospects can be starting at 50. Flight has always been a lure for
me (father in the business, avid flight sim user etc etc) Now that I can
financially afford to do the real thing (well lets say ~ $7,000/year
afford). I haven't looked beyond the adventure of just getting a PPL but
I'm still dreaming. Possible scenarios ? Bring me back to earth ?

AARP Student Pilot (that card came in the mail on my birthday)

Old March 13th 04, 03:32 PM
William W. Plummer

"TF" wrote in message
Sound like alot of wisdom in this newsgroup would appreciate the same

about
what my prospects can be starting at 50. Flight has always been a lure

for
me (father in the business, avid flight sim user etc etc) Now that I can
financially afford to do the real thing (well lets say ~ $7,000/year
afford). I haven't looked beyond the adventure of just getting a PPL but
I'm still dreaming. Possible scenarios ? Bring me back to earth ?

AARP Student Pilot (that card came in the mail on my birthday)

I started 12 years ago at age 51. Best thing I ever did! Then I went on
to gliders, seaplanes and all I need for LTA is a checkride. I had a lesson
in a helicopter, but that's a really expensive machine.

Old March 13th 04, 03:36 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "TF" said:
Sound like alot of wisdom in this newsgroup would appreciate the same about
what my prospects can be starting at 50. Flight has always been a lure for

Go for it. One of the members of my flying club got a flying lesson for
his 65th birthday. He decided he liked it so much that he went on and got
his license. He had a fun time in the club and was one of the more active
non-IFR pilots for 4 or 5 years until he lost his medical due to heart
problems. He probably could have gotten his medical back if he'd worked
on it, but decided it was time to hang up his wings.

Anyway, starting to fly at age 50 is nothing unusual. Of course you'll
never get a job flying an airliner, but you'll have a lot of fun.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Kyoto dealt with Global Warming. Disposing of lawyers cuts down the
Old March 13th 04, 03:44 PM
C J Campbell

"TF" wrote in message
Sound like alot of wisdom in this newsgroup would appreciate the same

about
what my prospects can be starting at 50. Flight has always been a lure

for
me (father in the business, avid flight sim user etc etc) Now that I can
financially afford to do the real thing (well lets say ~ $7,000/year
afford). I haven't looked beyond the adventure of just getting a PPL but
I'm still dreaming. Possible scenarios ? Bring me back to earth ?

AARP Student Pilot (that card came in the mail on my birthday)

I started flying at 47. I retired a year later and now I am having a ball as
a flight instructor with instrument and multi-engine ratings.

Old March 13th 04, 03:50 PM

what my prospects can be starting at 50.

I just started at age 55. I've got twenty five hours, have soloed, and am
currently working on short field landings and takeoff. This is fun. Go for
it. Half of the people I see in the school are are old farts like us.

tom pettit
Old March 13th 04, 03:51 PM
G.R. Patterson III

TF wrote:

I haven't looked beyond the adventure of just getting a PPL but
I'm still dreaming.

Check out the available local schools and take an "introductory" flight or two.
I was past 40 when I started.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 13th 04, 03:53 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"TF" wrote in message
Sound like alot of wisdom in this newsgroup would appreciate the same

about
what my prospects can be starting at 50. Flight has always been a lure
for
me (father in the business, avid flight sim user etc etc) Now that I can
financially afford to do the real thing (well lets say ~ $7,000/year
afford). I haven't looked beyond the adventure of just getting a PPL but
I'm still dreaming. Possible scenarios ? Bring me back to earth ?

Nope...we're going to boot you into the air :~)

Not quite the same thing, but I resumed flying after a 14 year layoff on the
day after my 50th birthday. I would have done it ON my birthday, but I was,
well...incapacitated.

As for a scenario, just find a good school that you're comfortable with, do
you homework and then have at it. Try not to space your lessons out too
much, lest your motor skills pertaining to flying deteriorate a bit. (I
recommend two lessons a week, but YMMV.

As for beyond the PPL, well, take it one step at a time.

Tom

Old March 13th 04, 03:54 PM
Tom Sixkiller

wrote in message

what my prospects can be starting at 50.

I just started at age 55. I've got twenty five hours, have soloed, and am
currently working on short field landings and takeoff. This is fun. Go

for
it. Half of the people I see in the school are are old farts like us.

tom pettit

Speak for yourself! :~)

The other Tom.

Old March 13th 04, 04:43 PM
Jack Allison

You're only too old if you're dead! :-)

You still have plenty of flying years left. Better to start now and enjoy
them than look back 10 years or so from now and wish you'd started. That
was a huge motivating factor for me. I started while I was 40 and thought
and, while it would have been great starting sooner in life, this is how it
worked out and I'm having a ball.

Check out rec.aviation.student as another great source of information.
And...post about your flying lessons. There are a bunch of us out here that
love reading about them. Many folks have been there/done that and can offer
tons of great advice. Lots of funny stories too.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"