ZAON PCAS MRX

Old December 13th 13, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

Default ZAON PCAS MRX

On 12/13/2013 1:19 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've had mine for less than a year and, so far, it has not failed.

Likewise, I've had mine for 2 or 3 years with no issues. I bought it
from someone who had just installed a Powerflarm.

Vaughn
Old December 14th 13, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:54:05 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Are these units reliable and worth having in your glider?

Are they consistent enough to trust in a real threat situation?

Nick

Has ZAON gone T.U.?
I have tried to access the website but get no where.

I just purchased a previously owned unit and want to get an extended antenna and the panel mounting kit. I see several resellers with the extended antenna kit, but no panel mounting kit.

r/Jim
N9XL/H-201B
Old December 14th 13, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Friday, December 13, 2013 4:04:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:54:05 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:

Are these units reliable and worth having in your glider?

Are they consistent enough to trust in a real threat situation?

Nick

Has ZAON gone T.U.?

I have tried to access the website but get no where.

I just purchased a previously owned unit and want to get an extended antenna and the panel mounting kit. I see several resellers with the extended antenna kit, but no panel mounting kit.

r/Jim

N9XL/H-201B

Unfortunately, I believe they are no longer in business....

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...n220938-1.html

I have owned my ZAON MRX since Jan of 2006 and I have always been very pleased with its performance. It is very unfortunate that ZAON has shut-down. Hopefully, someone will buy the rights and/or the assets and take over the sales and support of these units.....
Old December 14th 13, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

On 12/13/2013 8:04 PM, Renny wrote:
Hopefully, someone will buy the rights and/or the assets and take over the sales and support of these units.....

Hopefully, someone will at least support them. In the big picture
though, I'm afraid that ZAON's technology doesn't have much of a future.

Remember this is mostly a product aimed at the airplane world, but those
folks are likely buying Ipads and portable ADSB receivers these days.
Yes, I know they don't display the same traffic as PCAS, but they will
get increasingly relevant as more and more planes install ADSB.

In the interim, I'm still happy with my little MRX.
Old December 14th 13, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:54:05 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Are these units reliable and worth having in your glider?

Are they consistent enough to trust in a real threat situation?

Nick

Even so, no regret buying another PCAS. Sold the other when I sold my LS-1f. Feel it provide a heads-up to traffic in our local area. Suspect I will never have enough funds for a transponder or the panel space.
If anyone has an extended antenna kit or panel mounting kit they would like to sell drop me a note.

r/Jim
N9XL/H201B
Old December 14th 13, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Jim,

I have one of the Zaon MRX Antenna Extender kits in stock.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/zaon.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_____________________________

Old December 14th 13, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Mine's mounted to the top of the glare shield with velcro. Works just fine
there and is very low profile.

Old December 15th 13, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:54:05 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Are these units reliable and worth having in your glider?

Are they consistent enough to trust in a real threat situation?

Nick

Extremely hard to mount on the glare shield in a Glasflugel Std. Libelle. No glare shield.
Used one in my previously owned LS-1f and in our club's L-23/L-13s But alas and alack...
it needs to be mounted somewhere in the Libelle.
Old December 15th 13, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

I am in need of a power cable for my MRX
Anyone have a extra one I can purchase?
Thanks in advance
Nick
Old December 15th 13, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 18:51:26 -0800, qnimclimber wrote:

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:54:05 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Are these units reliable and worth having in your glider?

Are they consistent enough to trust in a real threat situation?

Nick

Extremely hard to mount on the glare shield in a Glasflugel Std.
Libelle. No glare shield.
Used one in my previously owned LS-1f and in our club's L-23/L-13s But
alas and alack... it needs to be mounted somewhere in the Libelle.

IME anything with a separate control/display unit is easy to mount in a
Libelle but single box instruments may be not so easy. For example,
installing a Swiss FLARM would be difficult because its essentially the
same as a ZAON PCAS - a small box with display on the front, antenna on
top and power cable coming out the back or underside. OTOH, I had no
problems at all installing a Red Box flarm. Its electronics box and
antennas went into or in front of my Libelle's instrument tray and the
25mm x 50mm display occupies a couple of square inches of my panel
between the top and middle row of instruments. Photos he

http://www.gregorie.org/gliding/libelle/panel.html

Scroll down to the FLARM rebuild section to see the pilot's side and
click on 'behind the panel' and to see where I put the Red Box
electronics, GPS antenna and FLARM dipole antenna.

Could you mount the MRX on a RAM fleximount in front of the panel? As you
can see, I've done that with the satnav I use to run LK8000 and am
pleased with the result: the satnav is still effectively part of the
panel and comes out with it when the two screws at the top are removed.
The fleximount lets me position it so that all panel-mounted instruments
are visible. RAM don't sell a standard attachment for the satnav, but it
was easy enough to use the clip that came with it and make an adapter to
attach the clip to the fleximount from 1.5mm epoxy plate and four screws.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

FS: PCAS Zaon MRX [email protected] Soaring 2 November 27th 13 11:36 PM
FS: Zaon MRX PCAS Ramy Soaring 8 August 8th 13 06:09 AM
Fs Zaon Pcas Xrx cessna150 Aviation Marketplace 0 January 26th 12 07:02 AM
Warning to users of Zaon PCAS MRX Bruno[_2_] Soaring 23 February 22nd 10 06:04 PM
GPS intrference from Zaon PCAS ?? Carl Soaring 9 May 31st 07 05:12 AM