A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 6th 15, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XC
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 91
Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill

The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals

1. The weather. We flew 7 out of 10 days in Elmira. We could have possible even squeaked in another but the CD wisely called a rest day. One of the practice days was fantastic soaring. Thanks to God, Alleluia.

2. FLARM used in the stealth mode, already mentioned in another post. It really worked well.

3. The flying was tough but the atmosphere was relaxed and enjoyable. Thank you pilots for the sportsmanship. Not one pilot left this contest early, in a huff, with a broken glider, or otherwise. Very rare.

4. The dinners were excellent. Thanks go to my wife, Rebecca, and many volunteers.

5. Beer consumed was more than most contests. We killed a 1/2 keg of Stella, 2 1/4's of Yuengling and 1/4 of Labatts. Thanks to those HHSC members who bought the beer.

6. The National Soaring Museum issued a press release for us. We gave about 4 TV news interviews and we were in newspapers all over the region. Thank you NSM for all your support.

7. We flew a finish line. Tons of spectators, thanks the the press release above, were watching from the fence. Crews, juniors and pilots enjoyed it, too. It felt like you were at a race.

8. We had a PA system to announce pilot meetings, task sheets available, "P7 4 miles out", etc. This is a nice detail to include in contest planning.

9. We had the contest during the summer so young people could attend. I estimate we had 20-25 young people involved in the contest in one way or another. The HHSC juniors did a great job with the line. We also had several young people come to visit. Daniel Sazhin competed as a junior. Noah Reitter flew as a guest in the Standard Class and as sniffer.

10. We spaced the grid spots far enough away from each other that every glider could easily get to their spot. Then we compressed the grid. I really recommend this detail to other organizers.

11. Monty Sullivan as CD was outstanding. The overall tone for the contest was perfect. The task setting was spot on. Thanks Monty.

XC
Ads
  #2  
Old August 6th 15, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 803
Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 7:35:37 AM UTC-4, XC wrote:
The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals

1. The weather. We flew 7 out of 10 days in Elmira. We could have possible even squeaked in another but the CD wisely called a rest day. One of the practice days was fantastic soaring. Thanks to God, Alleluia.

2. FLARM used in the stealth mode, already mentioned in another post. It really worked well.

3. The flying was tough but the atmosphere was relaxed and enjoyable. Thank you pilots for the sportsmanship. Not one pilot left this contest early, in a huff, with a broken glider, or otherwise. Very rare.

4. The dinners were excellent. Thanks go to my wife, Rebecca, and many volunteers.

5. Beer consumed was more than most contests. We killed a 1/2 keg of Stella, 2 1/4's of Yuengling and 1/4 of Labatts. Thanks to those HHSC members who bought the beer.

6. The National Soaring Museum issued a press release for us. We gave about 4 TV news interviews and we were in newspapers all over the region. Thank you NSM for all your support.

7. We flew a finish line. Tons of spectators, thanks the the press release above, were watching from the fence. Crews, juniors and pilots enjoyed it, too. It felt like you were at a race.

8. We had a PA system to announce pilot meetings, task sheets available, "P7 4 miles out", etc. This is a nice detail to include in contest planning..

9. We had the contest during the summer so young people could attend. I estimate we had 20-25 young people involved in the contest in one way or another. The HHSC juniors did a great job with the line. We also had several young people come to visit. Daniel Sazhin competed as a junior. Noah Reitter flew as a guest in the Standard Class and as sniffer.

10. We spaced the grid spots far enough away from each other that every glider could easily get to their spot. Then we compressed the grid. I really recommend this detail to other organizers.

11. Monty Sullivan as CD was outstanding. The overall tone for the contest was perfect. The task setting was spot on. Thanks Monty.

XC



12. HHSC brought the standard class back from the dead and had a real race. Congratulations. Well done!

-Evan Ludeman / T8
  #3  
Old August 6th 15, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill

FLARM in stealth mode and a finish line? That sounds like the racing I used to love. If this catches on I may have to get back into the racing scene.
WR
  #4  
Old August 6th 15, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J9
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill

13. Harris Hill is very family friendly and there are plenty of attractions within an hours' drive.

This contest was a good one we'll remember for a long time...Thanks HHSC!

Janine

  #5  
Old August 6th 15, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 104
Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill

Sounds like I missed a great race. Maybe next time.
  #6  
Old August 6th 15, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 176
Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at HarrisHill

On 08/06/2015 7:35 AM, XC wrote:
The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals

1. The weather. We flew 7 out of 10 days in Elmira. We could have possible even squeaked in another but the CD wisely called a rest day. One of the practice days was fantastic soaring. Thanks to God, Alleluia.

2. FLARM used in the stealth mode, already mentioned in another post. It really worked well.

3. The flying was tough but the atmosphere was relaxed and enjoyable. Thank you pilots for the sportsmanship. Not one pilot left this contest early, in a huff, with a broken glider, or otherwise. Very rare.

4. The dinners were excellent. Thanks go to my wife, Rebecca, and many volunteers.

5. Beer consumed was more than most contests. We killed a 1/2 keg of Stella, 2 1/4's of Yuengling and 1/4 of Labatts. Thanks to those HHSC members who bought the beer.

6. The National Soaring Museum issued a press release for us. We gave about 4 TV news interviews and we were in newspapers all over the region. Thank you NSM for all your support.

7. We flew a finish line. Tons of spectators, thanks the the press release above, were watching from the fence. Crews, juniors and pilots enjoyed it, too. It felt like you were at a race.

8. We had a PA system to announce pilot meetings, task sheets available, "P7 4 miles out", etc. This is a nice detail to include in contest planning.

9. We had the contest during the summer so young people could attend. I estimate we had 20-25 young people involved in the contest in one way or another. The HHSC juniors did a great job with the line. We also had several young people come to visit. Daniel Sazhin competed as a junior. Noah Reitter flew as a guest in the Standard Class and as sniffer.

10. We spaced the grid spots far enough away from each other that every glider could easily get to their spot. Then we compressed the grid. I really recommend this detail to other organizers.

11. Monty Sullivan as CD was outstanding. The overall tone for the contest was perfect. The task setting was spot on. Thanks Monty.

XC


Agree to all points Sean, it was a fantastic event that I will remember
for a long time.

Luke
  #7  
Old August 6th 15, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,945
Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 9:52:57 AM UTC-4, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
On 08/06/2015 7:35 AM, XC wrote:
The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals

1. The weather. We flew 7 out of 10 days in Elmira. We could have possible even squeaked in another but the CD wisely called a rest day. One of the practice days was fantastic soaring. Thanks to God, Alleluia.

2. FLARM used in the stealth mode, already mentioned in another post. It really worked well.

3. The flying was tough but the atmosphere was relaxed and enjoyable. Thank you pilots for the sportsmanship. Not one pilot left this contest early, in a huff, with a broken glider, or otherwise. Very rare.

4. The dinners were excellent. Thanks go to my wife, Rebecca, and many volunteers.

5. Beer consumed was more than most contests. We killed a 1/2 keg of Stella, 2 1/4's of Yuengling and 1/4 of Labatts. Thanks to those HHSC members who bought the beer.

6. The National Soaring Museum issued a press release for us. We gave about 4 TV news interviews and we were in newspapers all over the region. Thank you NSM for all your support.

7. We flew a finish line. Tons of spectators, thanks the the press release above, were watching from the fence. Crews, juniors and pilots enjoyed it, too. It felt like you were at a race.

8. We had a PA system to announce pilot meetings, task sheets available, "P7 4 miles out", etc. This is a nice detail to include in contest planning.

9. We had the contest during the summer so young people could attend. I estimate we had 20-25 young people involved in the contest in one way or another. The HHSC juniors did a great job with the line. We also had several young people come to visit. Daniel Sazhin competed as a junior. Noah Reitter flew as a guest in the Standard Class and as sniffer.

10. We spaced the grid spots far enough away from each other that every glider could easily get to their spot. Then we compressed the grid. I really recommend this detail to other organizers.

11. Monty Sullivan as CD was outstanding. The overall tone for the contest was perfect. The task setting was spot on. Thanks Monty.

XC


Agree to all points Sean, it was a fantastic event that I will remember
for a long time.

Luke


Add many thanks to Sean for acting as the leader to get this contest off the ground.
Add to 5- Gary Ittner provided home brewed beer which was very popular.
Point 12- We had a couple of lapsed competitors come back, Chip Bearden and Mike Opitz, both of whom did well and I expect will be back for a good long time.
Best contest for me in quite a while on many levels.
Thanks to all
UH
  #8  
Old August 6th 15, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,755
Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at HarrisHill

KUDOS!

On 8/6/2015 5:58 AM, wrote:
FLARM in stealth mode and a finish line? That sounds like the racing I used to love. If this catches on I may have to get back into the racing scene.
WR


--
Dan Marotta

  #9  
Old August 6th 15, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,004
Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill

Sounds fun! Good to hear about the finish line, the PA system and the spectators. As this was a U.S national championship, 50% real assigned tasks and perhaps a 15 minute limit on the start gate (so the finish line has some actual meaning) would be interesting...in the future.
  #10  
Old August 6th 15, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 314
Default The 11 best things at the 2015 15m/Std Class Nationals at Harris Hill



I have to strongly agree with everything but particularly numbers one, two, SEVEN(oh god number seven was great) nine, and eleven. sure it was my home turf, but i enjoyed the racing, the camaraderie, and the social aspect of it immensely. Elmira is not to be underestimated! Thanks to everyone involved, not least of whom is XC himself. I'm glad to see so many shared my feelings about the contest, it's one I wont forget, despite all the beer.

-ND
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Sports Class Nationals Rolf - OS Soaring 1 October 7th 14 02:52 PM
EAA Article on Harris Hill Frank Whiteley Soaring 1 January 14th 14 07:54 PM
IVSM on Harris Hill (NY) June 30 - July 7 Burt Compton - Marfa Soaring 3 June 13th 12 10:33 PM
1937 Harris Hill Meet [email protected] Soaring 1 August 15th 07 04:12 PM
2005 Harris Hill Junior Video [email protected] Soaring 12 November 14th 05 11:52 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.