Seeking US Source for Main Wheel Tubes

Old August 25th 04, 10:21 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Default Seeking US Source for Main Wheel Tubes

I was disappointed by Desser Tire of Memphis Tennessee last week when
they sent me three 5.00-5 tubes with a valve unsuitable for my wheel
(interferes with landing gear strut). They assured me this was the
only available valve and would work for my sailplane. I've removed
them from my list of suppliers.

I am currently seeking a source for 5.00-5 short valve and double bend
valve tubes common to glider applications. My preference is for the
Michelin Airstop TR-67A with short 90-degree bend valve. My preference
would be for an intelligent supplier with dedicated to customer
service. Price is secondary. If you have a suggestion, please share.

Thanks.

OC
Old August 26th 04, 01:43 AM
Nolaminar

Does Seibert in Munster, German supply such items?

GA

Old August 26th 04, 03:08 PM
Thomas Knauff

We stock them.

--
Thomas Knauff
Knauff & Grove, Inc.
m...

Old August 27th 04, 06:21 PM
Chip Bearden

Had a similar problem with them trying to get tail dolly tubes. At
that time they stocked several different valve stem types but it took
a few phone calls to sort it out. My spare main tubes came from them
but that was a few years ago.

In an emergency it is fairly easy to modify the stem by cutting it,
sleeving it with brass model tube, and silver soldering. Had to do
that once when I forgot to remove the stem extender.

Probably easier to support your favorite glider parts dealer.

Easier still is replacing the tail dolly tube/wheel with a solid
rubber wheel from Home Depot. It's not TSO'd, but hopefully you'll
never take it with you in flight.

Chip Bearden
Old August 28th 04, 03:51 AM
Eric Greenwell

Chip Bearden wrote:
Had a similar problem with them trying to get tail dolly tubes. At
that time they stocked several different valve stem types but it took
a few phone calls to sort it out. My spare main tubes came from them
but that was a few years ago.

In an emergency it is fairly easy to modify the stem by cutting it,
sleeving it with brass model tube, and silver soldering. Had to do
that once when I forgot to remove the stem extender.

Probably easier to support your favorite glider parts dealer.

Easier still is replacing the tail dolly tube/wheel with a solid
rubber wheel from Home Depot. It's not TSO'd, but hopefully you'll
never take it with you in flight.

Or, for a particularly heavy tail like my ASH 26 E, I replaced the
entire caster unit, wheel and all, with a heavier duty one from Harbor
Freight. It was $10, so I bought a spare. I couldn't find a suitable
solid one, as they were either too hard and didn't roll well over cracks
and bumps, or didn't have sufficient load capacity (the problem with the
original tube and tire).

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old August 28th 04, 03:46 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Received some particularly useful information via email.

TOST replaces the stock valve on the tubes they use in their wheel
assemblies. There is no indication of the change on the tube; however,
the valve is marked. When ordering, it is important to note the valve
imprint (as opposed to the stamp on the tube itself). I should note
that the original tube (the one I replaced) developed a leak along the
seam of the vulcanized, non-standard valve. I plan to inspect these
tubes carefully in future before putting a new one into service.

For my Ventus 2bx, the valve is marked as follows:

Alligator
TR88eq
Made in Germany

This is the short valve stem with a 90-degree bend. The double bend
long stem valve from the Nimbus 3 tube also works, though clearance
with the gear strut is marginal.

Many thanks to PSU, who kept me in the contest at Uvalde by lending me
his spare.

Thanks all for your help.