FSX - necessary to have CD in place?

Old November 4th 06, 09:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Jeroen Wenting

Default FSX - necessary to have CD in place?

I hope not, as it doesn't ship on CD but DVD

"Blue" wrote in message
Is FSX going to require a noCD hack like fs9?

Old November 4th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
don't know

No DVD needed.

Microsoft has replaced the need for CD4 in FS9 with the Product Activation
requirement in FSX. The CD was needed to verify you had a legal copy of the
program, but now all you need to do is to activate the product by Internet
or telephone.

Keith

Old November 7th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Blue

Sounds like there may now be a need for an activation hack so that we can
have full "ownership" of the program, i.e., the ability to load it to a new
computer as many will decide to do when they find that their old computer
doesn't do it justice.

Blue

Old November 8th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Peter Duniho

"Blue" wrote in message
Sounds like there may now be a need for an activation hack so that we can
have full "ownership" of the program, i.e., the ability to load it to a
new computer as many will decide to do when they find that their old
computer doesn't do it justice.

Well, more importantly, how will you run it ten years from now (or whatever)
when Microsoft stops supporting activation for that product?

I still have an MSFS disk from the early 80's. Yeah, it's got that stupid
"put an intentional error on the floppy" copy protection but at least it
still runs (on suitable hardware, of course).

I still wish software vendors would get it through their thick skulls that
copy protection of any sort only inconveniences legitimate users, and
doesn't stop piracy at all. I'm not sure which is worse -- media-based
protection, in which it only works on certain hardware, or activiation-based
protection, in which one is dependent on the vendor remaining in business
and supporting the software. Either way, I feel like I'm basically just
borrowing the right to use the software, rather than purchasing it outright.

Pete

Old November 10th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Jim T

I have done just that. I did not remove from my old computer until I had
installed and activated. Works ok. Jim T

Old November 10th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Blue

Microsoft is connecting a particular product code (copy number) of your FSX
to your particular computer identifier.

Their website is ambiguous but my reading of it is that they will NOT allow
a purchaser to run it on two computers.
I sent mine back to Amazon - they paid the return postage.

I don't think it will be time to buy FSX until next Spring when we know
more about the playability of it and Vista equipped computers with decent
graphic accelerators appear on the market. Maybe then a hack will be
available - and vouched for by users.
Blue

Old November 11th 06, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Jeroen Wenting

Their website is ambiguous but my reading of it is that they will NOT
allow
a purchaser to run it on two computers.

That was never allowed... But of course many people don't care about
licensing terms.

I don't think it will be time to buy FSX until next Spring when we know
more about the playability of it and Vista equipped computers with decent
graphic accelerators appear on the market. Maybe then a hack will be
available - and vouched for by users.
Blue

by pirates you mean, who only care about how many "backup copies" they can
give to friends and family.