AOPA reporting free GNSx30 WAAS software upgrade available

Old December 6th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Default AOPA reporting free GNSx30 WAAS software upgrade available

Just spotted this on AOPA's site:

_Garmin releases WAAS software upgrade for 400W/500W models_
http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...206garmin.html

----------------- start of article

Owners of Garmin's GNS400W and 500W models can now get a long-awaited WAAS
software upgrade that resolves many compatibility and functionality problems
and gives users access to more XM WX satellite weather products, including
lightning, cell movement, and winds aloft.

The upgrade, which includes a new flight manual supplement and takes about
one hour to complete, is available at no cost, but access to the additional
XM WX features will require an Aviator package subscription.

With the software upgrade users will get enhanced features that make it
easier to load arrival and departure procedures, reduce TAWS nuisance alerts
for circling approaches, allow users to store up to 15 radio channels,
improve the auto-zoom function, and give better VNAV functionality during
holds.

Other changes correct winds aloft calculations, stop intermittent screen
flashing, and start the unit in the last mode used. Users will also see
improved compatibility and functionality with certain Stormscope, Avidyne,
and Honeywell products.

------------------ end ------------------------------

--
Peter
Old December 10th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon[_4_]

"Peter R." wrote in message
[...]

I *think* they are just talking about the XM Wx features and not the WAAS
upgrade itself (no matter how much I am hoping that I'm mistaken...)

Marco

Old December 11th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt W. Barrow

"Marco Leon" wrote in message

"Peter R." wrote in message
Just spotted this on AOPA's site:

Owners of Garmin's GNS400W and 500W models can now get a long-awaited
WAAS
software upgrade that resolves many compatibility and functionality

I *think* they are just talking about the XM Wx features and not the WAAS
upgrade itself (no matter how much I am hoping that I'm mistaken...)

Sure sounds like you're mistaken.

Old December 11th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Karl

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:00:06 -0500, "Marco Leon"
wrote:

"Peter R." wrote in message
m...
[...]

You are mistaken. I just had my update done last Friday and it is the
WAAS update as well.
Karl - PP/ASEL/IA
Old December 11th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon[_4_]

"Karl" wrote in message

You are mistaken. I just had my update done last Friday and it is the
WAAS update as well.

OK, I had to read that again. I WAS mistaken. I misread the part about
"owners of the GNS 400W and 500W." I thought for a second I was going to
save $1,500 since I have yet to upgrade to WAAS...

Damn...

Marco

Old December 11th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 12/11/2007 11:17:13 AM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

OK, I had to read that again. I WAS mistaken. I misread the part about
"owners of the GNS 400W and 500W." I thought for a second I was going to
save $1,500 since I have yet to upgrade to WAAS...

Damn...

Ha, if only....

This software update is addressing a few bugs within the code that were
introduced by upgrading to WAAS; namely, the winds aloft calculator broke and
there were issues with replacing one approach with another in the flight
plan.

--
Peter
Old December 12th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon[_4_]

"Peter R." wrote in message

Ha, if only....

This software update is addressing a few bugs within the code that were
introduced by upgrading to WAAS; namely, the winds aloft calculator broke
and
there were issues with replacing one approach with another in the flight
plan.

So after flying with WAAS for a little while, what's your opinion on the
upgrade? Are you using the new features a lot? I know Syracuse has FOUR LPV
approaches so I know you're getting your money's worth on that end.

Marco

Old December 12th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 11, 1:53 pm, "Peter R." wrote:
On 12/11/2007 11:17:13 AM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

OK, I had to read that again. I WAS mistaken. I misread the part about
"owners of the GNS 400W and 500W." I thought for a second I was going to
save $1,500 since I have yet to upgrade to WAAS...

Damn...

Ha, if only....

This software update is addressing a few bugs within the code that were
introduced by upgrading to WAAS; namely, the winds aloft calculator broke and
there were issues with replacing one approach with another in the flight
plan.

My 296 showed winds of 280 knots the other day. It has WAAS so I
wonder if I have the same bug.

-Robert
Old December 13th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 12/12/2007 2:43:52 PM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

My 296 showed winds of 280 knots the other day. It has WAAS so I
wonder if I have the same bug.

The winds aloft bug in the 430W/530W is that it does NOT calculate winds
aloft. Enter all parameters, and winds aloft remains zero degrees at zero
knots.

--
Peter
Old December 13th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 12/12/2007 10:34:36 AM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

So after flying with WAAS for a little while, what's your opinion on the
upgrade? Are you using the new features a lot? I know Syracuse has FOUR
LPV approaches so I know you're getting your money's worth on that end.

For both my weekly commute airports (Syracuse and Elmira these days) I have
flown LPV approaches out of practice but not out of necessity. It works as
advertised. However, I find myself falling back on the ILS although honestly
I don't know why other than habit. It's not like the weather conditions were
such that the difference in approach minimums would have made a case for the
ILS over LPV. I really need to fly a few LPV approaches for real. Where I
foresee it coming in handy will be those days the localizer/glideslope is out
at one of my main airports or for the non-precision approaches at some other
airports I frequent.

After the upgrade I did have one problem in that the wire that connects to my
HSI came loose and indicated a centered indication on the glideslope. Didn't
find this out until I was on an approach and concluded that the LPV
glideslope should have been well above the aircraft yet it indicated
perfectly centered. Not sure when the wire came loose but I now pay VERY
close attention to the GPS pre-flight check where the unit at boot-up has you
confirm 1/2 out indications for the glideslope/localizer. If the wire is
loose the GPS will not be able to force a 1/2 out indication during this
preflight check, as I learned after getting on the ground and purposely
testing this.

--
Peter