What kind of plane is this?

Old October 28th 03, 03:00 AM
Roy Smith

Default What kind of plane is this?

What type is the plane in the picture?

http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html
Old October 28th 03, 10:25 AM
John

Roy Smith wrote:

What type is the plane in the picture?

http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html

Gonna be pretty tough to answer your question when you need a subscription
to the New York Times to see it.

-john
Old October 28th 03, 07:02 PM
Dale

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

What type is the plane in the picture?

http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html

Is is a twin-engine, twin tail, turbine powered airplane used by the
Fire Fighters? If so it's an OV-10 Bronco.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old October 28th 03, 07:44 PM
Don Tuite

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:02:53 -0900, Dale wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

What type is the plane in the picture?

http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html

Is is a twin-engine, twin tail, turbine powered airplane used by the
Fire Fighters? If so it's an OV-10 Bronco.

No. It has two round engines and it's dumping red fire retardant.

Don
Old October 28th 03, 07:52 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Dale wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

What type is the plane in the picture?

http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html

Is is a twin-engine, twin tail, turbine powered airplane used by the
Fire Fighters? If so it's an OV-10 Bronco.

I apologise to the various people who couldn't get to the image because
it requires subscription to the NY Times. The subscription is free, but
I can understand people not wanting to subscribe.

It is indeed a fire fighting tanker. I found a picture of the OV-10,
and this is definately not one of those.

The picture is from head-on, looking slightly up at the plane, so the
tail is hidden behind the fuselage. It is a twin engine, with
three-bladed props, but they don't look like turbines. There's a large
diameter (almost half the diameter of the prop blades) circular cowling
and I think I can make out cowl flaps open. Looks like radial engines.

In the picture, it looks like a mid-wing design, but that might just be
the odd camera angle. Could be low wing. Definately not high wing. It
looks vagely like a DC-3.

Ah, wait, here's the answer. A bit more googling led me to the
California Department of Forrestry (which explains the "CDF" painted on
the underside of the wing) web site, which led me to

http://www.fire.ca.gov/FireEmergency...n/Aviation.asp

Looking at the pictures, it looks like this is an S-2A. Wow, in the
pics on the CDF web site

http://www.fire.ca.gov/FireEmergency...on/pdf/S2A.pdf

is sure DOES look like a high wing. Strange how pictures from different
camera angles can be so misleading.
Old October 28th 03, 08:35 PM
Jack Cunniff

Roy Smith writes:

In article ,
Dale wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

What type is the plane in the picture?

http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html

Is is a twin-engine, twin tail, turbine powered airplane used by the
Fire Fighters? If so it's an OV-10 Bronco.

I apologise to the various people who couldn't get to the image because
it requires subscription to the NY Times. The subscription is free, but
I can understand people not wanting to subscribe.

A subscription to the online version is probably used only for tracking
purposes. I've had that subscription for years, and have never received
any spam from that organization.

-Jack
Old October 28th 03, 10:08 PM
Brent

Looks like it might be an S2-F Tracker.

Brent

Old October 28th 03, 10:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

What type is the plane in the picture?

http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html

It's a Grumman S-2.

Old October 28th 03, 10:23 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Brent" wrote in message

Looks like it might be an S2-F Tracker.

The designation was S2F prior to October 1962, S-2 after.

Old October 29th 03, 01:03 AM
Ziphius

This site has more info and pictures about the tankers:

http://www.airtanker.com/