GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As

Old June 11th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Ian B MacLure

Default GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As

"Raymond O'Hara" wrote in
:

[snip]

its best to deal with real threats now than to worry about a
hypothetical threat that will probably never materialize.

Which ensures that the next who will come as a complete
surprise technologically. Besides which, the Air Force is
only lightly burdened by the present conflict as a small
number of fast movers and heavies are quite capable dealing
with what local resources can't. Not to mention that artillery
and missile technology allows the guy in contact to choose
which asshat he wants to whack on an individual basis.

IBM
Old June 11th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Ian B MacLure

"Raymond O'Hara" wrote in
:

[snip]

can you envision any scenario in which the U.S. and russia fight?
are we going to invade them? i think we'd notice a huge naval build up
for them to invade us?
do you think they are going to overrun europe?

Still in a state of denial from the last war I see.

IBM
Old June 11th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Raymond O'Hara

"Ian B MacLure" wrote in message
.. .
"Raymond O'Hara" wrote in
:

[snip]

can you envision any scenario in which the U.S. and russia fight?
are we going to invade them? i think we'd notice a huge naval build up
for them to invade us?
do you think they are going to overrun europe?

Still in a state of denial from the last war I see.

IBM

huh? do you mean WWII? or what?

Old June 11th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Raymond O'Hara

"Ian B MacLure" wrote in message
.. .
"Raymond O'Hara" wrote in
:

[snip]

its best to deal with real threats now than to worry about a
hypothetical threat that will probably never materialize.

Which ensures that the next who will come as a complete
surprise technologically. Besides which, the Air Force is
only lightly burdened by the present conflict as a small
number of fast movers and heavies are quite capable dealing
with what local resources can't. Not to mention that artillery
and missile technology allows the guy in contact to choose
which asshat he wants to whack on an individual basis.

IBM

we are in two wars now{which we are losing} and you're worried about an
imaginary war against an imaginary opponent.
russia is not a credible threat. and it is decades away from being one.

Old June 11th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
g lof2

On Jun 10, 5:32*pm, Tiger wrote:
William Black wrote:

* "Mike" wrote in message
* Inside the Air Force
* Next-gen bomber must be adequately funded
* YOUNG: GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As
*
* ---------------------------------
*
* Given current wars they'd be better off buying a load of Douglas A-1
* Skyraiders and a few WWII twin engined bombers.
*
* What they need is something very reliable that lugs a largish bombload
* around and can absorb ground fire while dropping it in smallish
quantities
* with great precision.
*
* What they don't need right now is large complex jet fighter/bombers
that are
* designed to fight a major European war.
*

In other words."Why pay 2008 Corvette money to do a job your old 1988
F150 could do?" I'm sure there plenty of stuff in the boneyard that fits
the bill. A-10's, A6's, A-4's, Phantoms, A-7's. Old stuff, but to drop
bombs in zones with no Mig threats they work. I think the A-1 may be
pushing the concept a bit, but I hear you.....

Until the run into the a battery on the latest SAMs , ot a Nex-Gen
Stealth fighter, which are design to handle the latest fighters. At
which point they become so much flying scrap metal. And remember, the
reason we have air conreol is because we have the best fighter to
knock the other sides fighter out before the get to shoot at our
troops.

Frankly what I read in the story reminds me of the old warning about
fighting the last war, and not planning for the next.
Old June 11th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Tiger

Raymond O'Hara wrote:
"Ian B MacLure" wrote in message
.. .

"Raymond O'Hara" wrote in
:

we are in two wars now{which we are losing} and you're worried about an
imaginary war against an imaginary opponent.
russia is not a credible threat. and it is decades away from being one.

Losing? Lose to whom? Current events don't seem be anywere close. As for
Russia? They have in the last year expanded their military activity.
They are flying Bears again, opposed our missile defence plans, and Nato
expansions. Decades may be a bit much.

Old June 11th 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Raymond O'Hara

"Tiger" wrote in message
Raymond O'Hara wrote:
"Ian B MacLure" wrote in message
.. .

"Raymond O'Hara" wrote in
:

we are in two wars now{which we are losing} and you're worried about an
imaginary war against an imaginary opponent.
russia is not a credible threat. and it is decades away from being one.

Losing? Lose to whom? Current events don't seem be anywere close. As for
Russia? They have in the last year expanded their military activity. They
are flying Bears again, opposed our missile defence plans, and Nato
expansions. Decades may be a bit much.

we are not going to achieve whatever it is bush was after. and eventually we
will leave.

and ooo bears. propdriven bombers. yeah. i hear they are getting JSIIIs and
T-34/85s out of mothballs too.
scary tupolev bears, ouch, a scary threat.

Old June 11th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Andrew Swallow[_2_]

eyeball wrote:
On Jun 10, 4:20 pm, "William Black"
wrote:

What they don't need right now is large complex jet fighter/bombers that are
designed to fight a major European war.

Until the next war?

Next war - to bomb Peking you either need a very long range (twice
across the Pacific) or launch from a carrier.

Tactical against insurgents does not need the range and stealth. Sea
launch may be needed if there are no near by airports. Short take
off using roads could be useful.

Tactical and stategic bombing are going to need different planes.

Andrew Swallow
Old June 11th 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Tiger

g lof2 wrote:
On Jun 10, 5:32 pm, Tiger wrote:

---------------------------------

[...]

The bad guys of late seem to prefer Ied's & rpg's to Radar guided SAm
sites... Nor does most of the world have the $$$ for next gen Stealth
fighters. Even our Allies can bearly put a decent force together. The
topic point was spending money on a F22 air superiorty fighter. A job it
does well but there is no air threat. That makes it useless when the
current need for the airforce is to supply CAS. The F35 which will do,
said mission is years away. If your planning for the next war, Nethier
plane is really what you want.

Old June 11th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Arved Sandstrom

"Tiger" wrote in message
William Black wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't gotten the impression that the A-10 is going away any time soon...

AHS

Logger Choice Jamie Denton Soaring 10 July 6th 07 03:13 PM
Headset Choice jad Piloting 14 August 9th 06 07:59 AM
Which DC Headphone is best choice? [email protected] Piloting 65 June 27th 06 11:50 PM
!! HELP GAMERS CHOICE Dave Military Aviation 2 September 3rd 04 04:48 PM
!!HELP GAMERS CHOICE Dave Soaring 0 September 3rd 04 12:01 AM