the ideal fire/water bomber?

Old October 27th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
patrick mitchel

Default the ideal fire/water bomber?

After watching the multiplicity of ac doing their jobs on the southern cal
fires this last week and hearing that the guvmint C130 had the wrong sized
tanks and the forestry dept and said guvmint were haggling over what should
be done, I thought I'd ask what is the opinions of others regarding what
current - or hypothetical craft would be considered for the role. Thanks Pat

Old October 27th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"patrick mitchel" wrote in
:

After watching the multiplicity of ac doing their jobs on the southern
cal fires this last week and hearing that the guvmint C130 had the
wrong sized tanks and the forestry dept and said guvmint were haggling
over what should be done, I thought I'd ask what is the opinions of
others regarding what current - or hypothetical craft would be
considered for the role. Thanks Pat

Well, C130 tanks are a lot bigger than what you would have in an Agwagon or
something..
Old hercs are relatively inexpensive and it's whatever is wiling to be
spent on the job that dictates the size and suitability of the airplane to
the task.
Ideally, you could get the Russians to build an air force of AN225 modified
for the task, or you could get thousands upon thousands of smaller aircraft
as well as the support to service them in the field, but who's gonna pay
for it?

Bertie

Old October 27th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
patrick mitchel

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
"patrick mitchel" wrote in
:

[...]

That's the other question- the dedicated craft that sits off work or the
generalist that you haul the tanks in and out of depending on the season-
though fire season seems to be 365 d/yr here. Gotta say the ericsson
skycranes look amazing on the job.

Old October 27th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"patrick mitchel" wrote in
:

newsfeed.stanford.edu!
news.kjsl.com!news.lafn.org!not-for-mail From: "patrick mitchel"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: the ideal fire/water bomber?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:09:33 -0700
66-81-193-210.socal.dialup.o1.com X-Trace: zook.lafn.org 1193501376
66375 66.81.193.210 (27 Oct 2007 16:09:36 GMT) X-Complaints-To:

[...]

Don't know a lot about firefighting, but the most popular new
contraption nowadays is the Canadair. Of couse, you have to have a large
enough body of water nearby to allow them their full potential.

Bertie

Old October 27th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
oilsardine[_2_]

A380 ;-))

Old October 27th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "patrick mitchel" said:
After watching the multiplicity of ac doing their jobs on the southern cal
fires this last week and hearing that the guvmint C130 had the wrong sized
tanks and the forestry dept and said guvmint were haggling over what should
be done, I thought I'd ask what is the opinions of others regarding what
current - or hypothetical craft would be considered for the role. Thanks Pat

Seems to me that you need a variety of aircraft for different sized fires,
different aspects of the same fire. The DC-10 tanker can deliver a lot
of retardant to a big area, but it's probably not what you need for a
small fire in a narrow canyon. The CL-410 can get in and out of small
lakes and provide a lot of round trips, but against a big Southern
California fire it's kind of spitting in the wind.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Today Has Been Two Of Those Days.

Old October 27th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Jim Logajan wrote in
:

"patrick mitchel" wrote:
After watching the multiplicity of ac doing their jobs on the southern
cal fires this last week and hearing that the guvmint C130 had the
wrong sized tanks and the forestry dept and said guvmint were haggling
over what should be done, I thought I'd ask what is the opinions of
others regarding what current - or hypothetical craft would be
considered for the role. Thanks Pat

Airships. JMHO.

Yes, and a cheap suborbital launch system when you relelase the water!
Hard to think of anything better to get near a turbulent fire as well.

Bertie
Old October 27th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Godwin

Jim Logajan wrote in
:

Airships. JMHO.

.... if you got the time, we got the water. :-)

Old October 27th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote in
:
Airships. JMHO.

Yes, and a cheap suborbital launch system when you relelase the water!

WWI Zeppelins dropped tons of bombs on England and I'm pretty sure none
went suborbital. I'm sure the crews would have loved to gain the altitude
to get clear of anti-aircraft fire! ;-)

Hard to think of anything better to get near a turbulent fire as well.

I presume they would drop from a higher altitude when turbulence got too
strong. I suspect lower airspeed would translate to better drop control -
it's not like they have to worry about AA fire ;-). If needed I suppose
they could even use tethers to help maintain station in high winds (maybe
even use a long hose to a source of water on the ground?). Though I admit
tethers can cause more control problems than expected for LTA craft.

On the other hand, here's a video someone took of a Goodyear blimp caught
in a thunderstorm trying to make headway in turbulent conditions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERI8_cprgMo

It ended in a crash, but no fatalities according to the NTSB report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...06X00943&key=1

What is the ideal ILS antenna? billkennedy3 Home Built 8 October 5th 05 07:22 PM
Ideal Glider Hangar Dimensions SGS135 Soaring 3 November 27th 04 11:04 PM
Water, water, everywhere, but none for thirsty wings.... Chris OCallaghan Soaring 0 November 21st 04 03:14 PM
Ideal watch? Brinks Owning 45 December 24th 03 03:00 PM
ideal training glider M B Soaring 2 September 19th 03 10:15 PM