Is there a nose hook modification for a standard cirrus

Old October 5th 17, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Is there a nose hook modification for a standard cirrus

oh god this subject again. Go back to the recent thread that Walt started about towplane upsets. Both of the gliders in his upset events had nose hooks.
Old October 5th 17, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 6:50:46 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
oh god this subject again. Go back to the recent thread that Walt started about towplane upsets. Both of the gliders in his upset events had nose hooks.

Winter is coming
7Q
Old October 5th 17, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Please describe the "spoiler mod".Â* Sounds interesting.

On 10/4/2017 7:13 PM, Scott Williams wrote:
On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 4:27:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I bought a standard cirrus. I havent flown it yet, but I was wondering if it's possible to put a nose hook on the plane?

Last year I spoke to Heinze of M&H the U.S. Schempp-Hirth Dealer, he thought kit, less Tost release would run $1500, Tost release maybe $500. Installation labor??

Heinze thought it would not be cost effective.
I bought the spoiler mod instead. My glider already had the hatch and wedekind sleeves.
Spoiler mod was worth twice what I paid IMO.

Good Lift,
Scott.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 5th 17, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 10:20:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
UN came with a Zuni or HP type hook installed by Applebay under a 337, that for those who aren’t familiar, kind of looked like a small Schweizer hook that retracts flush with the skin. The first time I attempted aerotowing with it, we tried twice to connect it with the line guy and it released and retracted when the towplane added power. The previous owner later said, yeah that happens sometimes, think the cable needs adjusted. I’ve also heard of Zuni accidents related to a possible premature release for what it’s worth. I taped over it and used the Tost CG hook without looking back. I figure Klaus knew what he was doing more or less.

Mike

For what it is worth, Mike, I believe there has been one (not plural) Zuni accident attributed to pre-mature release that was likely related to the release itself. That one was missing a key component that, if not installed, assured that the release could operate on its own, with no pilot action required. I have now heard of two others that have behaved similarly (yours and one other). I have multiple hundreds of launches with my Zuni and have NEVER experienced a release that I did not initiate. Mine has all its parts, and is of a slightly different design that does not rely on a hidden spring that, if it is not there, you won't know it is not there and the release will malfuntion.

I am not sure when the design changed, but if all the parts are there and properly functioning, the release performs as designed and intended.

As for the "benefit" of a nose hook, well the rubber cover on my BS1 nose hook got torn, and I have not been successful at fab and install of a new cover, so I taped it over. Howled like a giant coke bottle. I now only use the CG hook, and have had no problems.

As someone else said, "It will cost a lot, and the benefit will be small". But sometimes for your own piece of mind, and benefit to others down the road, we just bite the bullet, spend the money and do something.

Steve Leonard
Zuni 2 Serial 28
Between 300 and 400 launches on my Applebay hook.
Old October 5th 17, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

There is a tech note to add a second panel to the Std. Cirrus airbrake. Makes them much more effective. I did the mod almost as soon as we bought Kate.
Old October 5th 17, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 6:44:51 PM UTC+3, Dan Marotta wrote:
Please describe the "spoiler mod".Â* Sounds interesting.

On 10/4/2017 7:13 PM, Scott Williams wrote:
On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 4:27:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I bought a standard cirrus. I havent flown it yet, but I was wondering if it's possible to put a nose hook on the plane?

Last year I spoke to Heinze of M&H the U.S. Schempp-Hirth Dealer, he thought kit, less Tost release would run $1500, Tost release maybe $500. Installation labor??

Heinze thought it would not be cost effective.
I bought the spoiler mod instead. My glider already had the hatch and wedekind sleeves.
Spoiler mod was worth twice what I paid IMO.

Good Lift,
Scott.

I thought it was in the early or mid 90s that absolutely every Cirrus at our club (six or seven of them I think) had a 2nd panel added to the airbrakes, all done in a batch over a couple of days.
Old October 5th 17, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Makes sense, thanks!

Old October 6th 17, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Is there an advantage to using a nose hook when aerotowing through rotor? A year or so ago, I ran the wing for a very_accomplished_glider_pilot in an LS-4 w/c.g.hook who the tow pilot said, went vertical UPish in rotor. The towplane went vertical DOWNish and broke the rope. Both came back to the airport.

Is a C.G. hook better in rotor?
Old October 6th 17, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I would think the CG hook should have back released before the rope broke.

Lou