Scary Icing ATC tape

Old February 6th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Default Scary Icing ATC tape

On Feb 5, 6:25 pm, "Peter R." wrote:
On 2/5/2007 5:36:57 PM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

Yes, now that you mention it I recall reading on his forum that he had a hand
in the JFK feeds. Good to see that you help out, too. Thanks for contributing
to a great web-based resource for aviation fans.

I run the KFRG feed as well. Awesome site. I really got a kick out of
hearing my ATC exchange on a feed from way up in NH on the way home
from Bangor.

I saw that he was a pilot but didn't realize he also flew a Bonanza.

I believe he's in the Boston area. I smell a LiveATC fly-in
brewing...once the temperatures rise of course.

Marco

Old February 6th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article . com,
"Marco Leon" wrote:

I run the KFRG feed as well. Awesome site. I really got a kick out of
hearing my ATC exchange on a feed from way up in NH on the way home
from Bangor.

Marco,
What are some good inexpensive scanners (brand and costs) for LiveATC
use?
What have you seen/read of people using to supply their links?
Old February 6th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Robinson

john smith wrote:

"Marco Leon" wrote:

I run the KFRG feed as well. Awesome site. I really got a kick out of
hearing my ATC exchange on a feed from way up in NH on the way home
from Bangor.

Marco,
What are some good inexpensive scanners (brand and costs) for LiveATC
use?

Radio Shack currently has a relatively good scanner, the Pro-84, on sale
for $50, after rebates. That is a real steal, since they were originally
sold for $200. The sale ends February 10:

http://tinyurl.com/2b2qeh

It is a rebranded Uniden BC92XLT and is marketed as a NASCAR scanner. What
that means is that the scanner has a NASCAR sticker on it, and is pre-
programmed with NASCAR team frequencies. The frequencies can be deleted or
overridden.

The scanner covers the aircraft band, along with other public service
bands, and can therefore be used as an air scanner.
Old February 6th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

On Feb 6, 8:10 am, john smith wrote:
Marco,
What are some good inexpensive scanners (brand and costs) for LiveATC
use? What have you seen/read of people using to supply their links?

I can do better than that, here are some actual pictures of feeders'
setups: http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php/board,4.0.html

I use a Uniden BC278CLT that I got a local store for about $130. The
Sporty's base scanner looks like it will do as well. The JFK feeds
have a bank of Uniden BC350A's (also around $130) and a Radio Shack
model that escapes me at the moment. The main features that are needed
from a scanner a

- a line out
- a programmable bank of freq's to scan
- a delay function (so people can reasonably follow an exchange)

Even the most basic scanners have these capabilities. What really
drives a good feed is the receiver's proximity to the transmitting
antenna. You can also setup a nice antenna on your roof if your
proximity-challenged. I have one but being .25 miles from the airport,
I don't really need it.

They provide the streaming software so with a cable/DSL/fiber
connection that's always on, you're good to go. It's really a low-
maintenance task to be a feeder.

Marco

Old February 6th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 2/5/2007 11:20:49 PM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

I run the KFRG feed as well. Awesome site. I really got a kick out of
hearing my ATC exchange on a feed from way up in NH on the way home
from Bangor.

Yep, I started feeding my home airport's tower and approach frequencies (too
far to do ground and clearance) for the selfish reason that I wanted to
critique my radio skills. It worked.

--
Peter
Old February 6th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

On Feb 6, 10:28 am, James Robinson wrote:

Radio Shack currently has a relatively good scanner, the Pro-84, on sale
for $50, after rebates. That is a real steal, since they were originally
sold for $200. The sale ends February 10:

http://tinyurl.com/2b2qeh

It is a rebranded Uniden BC92XLT and is marketed as a NASCAR scanner. What
that means is that the scanner has a NASCAR sticker on it, and is pre-
programmed with NASCAR team frequencies. The frequencies can be deleted or
overridden.

The scanner covers the aircraft band, along with other public service
bands, and can therefore be used as an air scanner.

Thanks for the heads-up James! I've been looking for a replacement to
the small Maycom I keep in my car that's on its last legs. I grabbed
the last one at my local Radio Shack. It's got a boatload of more
features than my Maycom at half the price. It even recharges NiMH/
NiCad batteries for you. Cool.

Marco