Follow up going through ATL

Old March 15th 04, 05:27 PM
Kevin Chandler

Default Follow up going through ATL

Thanks to everyone for help in the best way to get over ATL. I had a total
of 3 hops over the "big" airport and one around it. ATL approach was great
in giving me a clearances (class B and IFR) in the air even though they were
swamped. ATL center helped a lot getting around yesterday's weather. It
was great races and great flights with a lot of firendly help. A special
thanks to Chip for his insight.

Old March 15th 04, 08:09 PM
Chip Jones

"Kevin Chandler" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone for help in the best way to get over ATL. I had a

total
of 3 hops over the "big" airport and one around it. ATL approach was

great
in giving me a clearances (class B and IFR) in the air even though they

were
swamped. ATL center helped a lot getting around yesterday's weather. It
was great races and great flights with a lot of firendly help. A special
thanks to Chip for his insight.

I wonder when you flew through, Kevin?

We had a massive staffing problem at the ARTCC on Sunday. In the ARTCC
North Departure area, we only had 7 CPC controllers on the day shift
(minimum number is 13) and 8 on the evening shift (minimum number is 15).
This with six sectors open in the Area. We even had the evening shift
supervisor call in sick, causing the day shift supe to face a 20 hour work
day, hehehe. The reason I mention this is that when the race ended and the
Nascar Air Force launched, the ARTCC faced an ATC Armeggedon with the crush
of extra departures and not enough controllers to work the load safely. We
couldn't even open a (seventh) sector that is required to be open for the
procedures to work as planned, and it was quite literally uncontrolled chaos
on our side of the mic between 1430 and 1630 local out there north of the
Atlanta Class B. Did you notice?

Chip, ZTL

Old March 16th 04, 02:20 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 3/15/04 3:09 PM, in article
et, "Chip Jones"
wrote:

[...]

I (barely, after a 15 minute wait on the ground) got on an IFR plan at 4:30
local, was turned over to 133.1 with a squawk code, then 133.1 snapped at me
to get back on 121.0, we explained our situation and were handed back to
121.0 anyway.
He took us to RYY for the ILS and wouldn't take us back after we went
missed.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Old March 17th 04, 08:13 PM
Kevin Chandler

I did not even notice any problems. I probably left 4A7 at 1730. I ended
up taking an indirect route home due to icing around TYS. We found a soft
spot in the front at CHA and then turned north. I actually came into ATL on
Saturday and stayed with friends at RYY and saw the Truck race on Saturday.

Thanks,
Kevin

ink.net...