GPS Longevity

Old March 5th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

Default GPS Longevity

On Mar 2, 9:56*pm, Longworth wrote:
* *Our Lowrance Airmap 1000 stopped working today after about 3 years
of frequent usage (~ 250 hrs/year). * It had been working fine.
During a flight today, the screen just went blank. *We thought
something was wrong with the power plug which drained the internal
batteries.

I still plan to get the Lowrance Airmap 1000 fixed. *If the repair
cost is more than the cost of a new unit, I may ask Lowrance for trade-
in credits.

Here is an update:
We examined the cigarette lighter adapter cable and found that it
had a blown fuse. Something inside the Airmap must have shorted as
well since we could not power it up with fresh batteries.
I called Lowrance and was told that there was a flat repair rate of
$199 with $7 or so for shipping. I asked about the power cable and
was told that I could buy a new fuse at a local store. I expressed my
concern that if the cable was defective, it could blow a new fuse and
short the Airmap (after repair) again. The rep told me that I could
order a new cable for $34 or so. He was going to look up some part
number for me then the phone got cutoff.
The next day, I called back and talked to a different rep. She
agreed with me that the suspect cable should be replaced as well and
told me that the flat rate repair should cover both the GPS and the
cable. She said that the rep I talked to the day before could be one
of the new trainees.
I asked her for about a trade off credit towards a Lowrance 2000
but she said the trade off credits of something like $200 only apply
to older Airmap (100 and 300?) which were no longer supported by
Lowrance. So I bit the bullet, get an RA# and gave me my credit card
number. The actual repair cost was $189 so the total came out to be
less than $200. We sent the unit in today and have no ideas how long
that it would take to receive the repaired or replaced GPS + cable.
About the cigarette lighter adapter power cable, few weeks ago,
Rick noticed some bare wires showing at the plug joint. It is a
molded plug so there was no way that we could open it to wrap
insulation sleeves over the wires. Using a combination of electrical
tape, adhesive and glue, he tried to patch up the cord. It was
possible that there were still some area of bare wires further inside
the plug creating the short later. The fuse in the cable was
supposedly to protect such event without damaging the GPS but it did
not seem to help. So the lesson is that next time, we should order a
replacement cable instead of trying to patch it up!
BTW, the repair unit will only have a 6 months warranty, just hope
that we would not need another RA# shortly after the warranty date!

Hai Longworth
Old March 8th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

"Mississippi River...Davenport...Corn corn corn corn corn..."
-- Heywood Banks, "Interstate 80 Iowa"

Actually, Iowa in spring (which they assure me is *just* around the corner,
despite our sub-zero temperatures) is one of the most beautiful sights I've
seen -- and I've flown coast to coast, Canada to Mexico. The multi-hued
greens of spring are so intense -- especially after a long winter of nothing
but white, white, white -- that they almost hurt your eyes.

That's something I always appreciate when coming home from a long trip out
West. I love the mountains, but you can only look at varying shades of gray
and brown for so long...

Currently, the snow cover -- the greatest in decades -- is really quite a
sight to behold. If you've seen National Geographic specials at the South
Pole, you'll know exactly what a flight over the Midwest looks like today.
We flew last week with an OAT of 68 degrees at 3000 AGL -- but the temps
barely broke 50 at the surface. Nothing like 10,000 sq miles of ice to
keep your beer cold...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 8th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

"Mississippi River...Davenport...Corn corn corn corn corn..."
-- Heywood Banks, "Interstate 80 Iowa"

Currently, the snow cover -- the greatest in decades -- is really
quite a sight to behold. If you've seen National Geographic specials
at the South Pole

Seen the one of it melting, fjukkwit?

Bertie

Old March 8th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article 7JxAj.66835$yE1.24363@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

"Mississippi River...Davenport...Corn corn corn corn corn..."
-- Heywood Banks, "Interstate 80 Iowa"

Actually, Iowa in spring (which they assure me is *just* around the corner,
despite our sub-zero temperatures) is one of the most beautiful sights I've
seen -- and I've flown coast to coast, Canada to Mexico. The multi-hued
greens of spring are so intense -- especially after a long winter of nothing
but white, white, white -- that they almost hurt your eyes.

Actually, anything not white white white would be a beautiful
intense experience...

;-)

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old March 8th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
mariposas rand mair fheal

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

"Mississippi River...Davenport...Corn corn corn corn corn..."
-- Heywood Banks, "Interstate 80 Iowa"

Currently, the snow cover -- the greatest in decades -- is really
quite a sight to behold. If you've seen National Geographic specials
at the South Pole

Seen the one of it melting, fjukkwit?

the water supply of california is premised
on sierra nevada snow pack persisting into the summer

global warming is not changing the amount of percipitation
but does mean more of it falls as rain
and the snow pack is melting earlier

california is willing to pay to fight global warming to protect its water supply
it is rest of the country that is interfering

given that set up the question i have

is rest of the country willing to provide the billions and billions
necessary to overhaul california water infrastructure
so that rest of the country can continue contributing to global warming

or do you continue to demand others pay for your indulgences

arf meow arf - everything thing i know i learned
from the collective unconscience of odd bodkins
nobody could do that much decoupage
without calling on the powers of darkness
Old March 8th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

mariposas rand mair fheal wrote in
:

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

[...]

I'm not asking anyone to pay for anything. Just to get of their asses..

Bertie

Old March 8th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks

In rec.aviation.piloting mariposas rand mair fheal wrote:
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

[...]

The Feather River Project back in the 50's solved California's water
problems for all time.

Or so said those pushing the bonds to build it.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 8th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

On Mar 8, 9:50*am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

That's something I always appreciate when coming home from a long trip out
West. *I love the mountains, but you can only look at varying shades of gray
and brown for so long...

Not all mountains are just gray and brown. Here in the Northeast,
the Catskills and Adirondacks wear coats of many breathtaking colors
throughout the year.
I always have to try hard to stay awake flying over flat
agricultural land like Iowa in all seasons. The occasional winding
rivers and creeks and few lakes were always the welcoming visual
relief. You must be a quite happy and contented person to think that
the grass is greener in your own pasture (or is it corn field?) ;-)

Hai Longworth

Old March 8th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
mariposas rand mair fheal

In article , wrote:

In rec.aviation.piloting mariposas rand mair fheal
wrote:
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

[...]

it is premised on expectations of the snowpack

if those expectations are invalidated
should the people who invalidate them be held responsible

gasoline appears cheaper than alternatives
because so little of the actual cost is reflected in pump prices

Old March 8th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stella Starr

Longworth wrote:

I always have to try hard to stay awake flying over flat
agricultural land like Iowa in all seasons.

Me too. It's like slowly driving across a MAP of Iowa. A couple years
ago scientific measurements confirmed that the sky there is also hazier
than it used to be, largely because of transpiration from the crops and
dust from cultivation. Anyone who lives there can tell you Iowa's long
been known as the most biologically-altered state in the nation.

I'm not getting into the anticipated argument over whether THAT's a good
thing. After all, that flat state also produces enough corn-fed deer to
cause thousands of car crashes.

Continental O-300 longevity Mel Owning 11 February 2nd 12 04:14 AM
Glass Panel Longevity john smith Piloting 47 October 24th 06 04:52 AM
Alternator longevity a Home Built 2 September 11th 06 05:25 PM
C-5 longevity Eric Moore Military Aviation 2 July 18th 04 02:51 PM