A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

"All-terrain" main wheel dolly

Old December 18th 14, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default "All-terrain" main wheel dolly

On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 11:52:49 PM UTC-7, Bastoune wrote:
All,
Thanks for the inputs.

Frank - If I picture what you are describing, the glider is rolled onto a dish that somehow holds the main wheel. There are two 10" wheels that are offset from the dish and connected to a handle. By applying pressure down on the handle, the dish is lifted (almost like a hand truck) and the glider becomes mobile. I assume that this contraption is all metal, correct? How long was the handle approximately? Thanks B.

That's correct. It means the 'spoon' must approach the glider between the wing and the fuselage, fore or aft of either wing. The lifted end must be long enough to allow the glider reasonable rotation with striking the spoon wheels. I think we can swing about 90 degrees passing under a raised wing.. The handle is raised to the glider can be rolled onto the spoon, then lowered to lift the glider. Yes, it is steel truss construction. I won't be able to get the dimensions until New Year's day and can take some pictures then as well. It's just a big lever, but the angles must be considered as well as the vertical range of movement of the handle. The weight of the steel handle helps with the lifting. With a long handle, twisting can be a concern, so it should be stout.

Frank Whiteley
Old December 18th 14, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:15:06 AM UTC-7, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 12:09 18 December 2014, John Galloway wrote:
At 06:52 18 December 2014, Bastoune wrote:
All,
Thanks for the inputs.=20

Frank - If I picture what you are describing, the glider is rolled onto

a
d=
ish that somehow holds the main wheel. There are two 10" wheels that are
of=
fset from the dish and connected to a handle. By applying pressure down

on
=
the handle, the dish is lifted (almost like a hand truck) and the glider
be=
comes mobile. I assume that this contraption is all metal, correct? How
lon=
g was the handle approximately? Thanks B.

We used these for many years for hangar packing too. The whole thjng
was steel and the handles were around 12 feet. The main wheel sat in a
ring. There were many trailing edge dings to the wings over the years

fro

the handles so we switched to main wheel dollies.

John Galloway

I saw one of them when I was at Portmoak in September, can't remember
exactly where but probably around the original hangar.

True, they must be used carefully to avoid hangar rash. But don't we always use great care moving gliders in, out, and around hangars?

Frank Whiteley
Old January 8th 15, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:27:08 AM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 11:52:49 PM UTC-7, Bastoune wrote:
All,
Thanks for the inputs.

Frank - If I picture what you are describing, the glider is rolled onto a dish that somehow holds the main wheel. There are two 10" wheels that are offset from the dish and connected to a handle. By applying pressure down on the handle, the dish is lifted (almost like a hand truck) and the glider becomes mobile. I assume that this contraption is all metal, correct? How long was the handle approximately? Thanks B.

That's correct. It means the 'spoon' must approach the glider between the wing and the fuselage, fore or aft of either wing. The lifted end must be long enough to allow the glider reasonable rotation with striking the spoon wheels. I think we can swing about 90 degrees passing under a raised wing. The handle is raised to the glider can be rolled onto the spoon, then lowered to lift the glider. Yes, it is steel truss construction. I won't be able to get the dimensions until New Year's day and can take some pictures then as well. It's just a big lever, but the angles must be considered as well as the vertical range of movement of the handle. The weight of the steel handle helps with the lifting. With a long handle, twisting can be a concern, so it should be stout.

Frank Whiteley

We haven't operated yet due to snow and weather, so haven't been to the gliderport. Will follow-up when I get the chance, but not this week.

Frank Whiteley
Old January 9th 15, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

You're probably right about 10" pneumatic or even flat-free on gravel.
Another solution is to use a "train track" with a dolly on the track. I've used this in many dirt and gravel hangars.
It may take having a removable track section for the hangar doors to close.
Jim

Old January 14th 15, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 15, 2014 at 9:39:37 PM UTC-8, Bastoune wrote:
All - I am looking for an "all-terrain" wheel dolly for a 15M glider main wheel. I am familiar with the GoJack type products (http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/ ) but unfortunately, the size of the casters will not handle gravel surface. Tires will probably have to be 10" pneumatic to do the job on gravel.

I am looking for pictures of a DIY solution, an existing products, or ideas on how to go about it. The wheel dolly needs to be multidirectional and be able to handle a gravel/unimproved hangar floor. Thanks for any ideas or leads!

Bastoune

All - I am looking for an "all-terrain" wheel dolly for a 15M glider main wheel. I am familiar with the GoJack type products (http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/ ) but unfortunately, the size of the casters will not handle gravel surface. Tires will probably have to be 10" pneumatic to do the job on gravel.

I am looking for pictures of a DIY solution, an existing products, or ideas on how to go about it. The wheel dolly needs to be multidirectional and be able to handle a gravel/unimproved hangar floor. Thanks for any ideas or leads!

Bastoune

I modified the original tail dolly that came with my ASH30Mi. The single hard rubber tire could not handle the gaps in the pavement and failed completely after a couple months at Minden and Bishop. The two-wheel swivel dolly was purchased online (McMaster Carr) and a local welding shop was able to complete the job. I will warn you- it's heavy, but when you're trying to move an 87' wingspan around you need some strength! Email me at tpbjork at gmail and I'll send photos.
Old January 14th 15, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

"Heavy" doesn't begin to describe it, Tom. :-) But, by cradling it in
your arms with the wheels dangling down, it's at least manageable over
short distances. After that, a truck is in order.

On 1/14/2015 9:04 AM, wrote:
All - I am looking for an "all-terrain" wheel dolly for a 15M glider main wheel. I am familiar with the GoJack type products (
http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/ ) but unfortunately, the size of the casters will not handle gravel surface. Tires will probably have to be 10" pneumatic to do the job on gravel.

Bastoune

Bastoune

I modified the original tail dolly that came with my ASH30Mi. The single hard rubber tire could not handle the gaps in the pavement and failed completely after a couple months at Minden and Bishop. The two-wheel swivel dolly was purchased online (McMaster Carr) and a local welding shop was able to complete the job. I will warn you- it's heavy, but when you're trying to move an 87' wingspan around you need some strength! Email me at tpbjork at gmail and I'll send photos.

--
Dan Marotta