Run In With Mr. Edwards

Old August 22nd 04, 11:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Iowa always claims this but in reality they are a distant second to the
Minnesota State Fair. Take a trip to a real fair Jay, it starts this
Thursday and continues thru Labor Day. Land at STP and you'll be
minutes away from heaven.

Well, before I fly two hours and walk four, what's Minnesota's fair got that
Iowa's doesn't?

I know Wisconsin's got cream puffs, and Iowa's got pork tenderloins (and
deep-fried Twinkies) -- but what's Minnesota famous for?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 04, 12:06 AM
Jay Honeck

They should have shot the lying, treasonous war
criminal a long time ago. He betrayed his country, he betrayed everyone

who
served in Vietnam, he met with enemy leaders, he deliberately killed

babies
and then justified by claiming in Congressional testimony that everyone

else
was doing it

While I share some of your distaste for Mr. Kerry, CJ, I think you've taken
your point "a bit" too far. Kerry is (or, at least, was) an honorable man,
and I wish him the best in the upcoming election.

I don't want this to become a "bash Kerry" or "trash Bush" thread. What we,
as pilots, need, is to discuss intelligent, constructive ways to influence
our government officials so that ridiculous crap like this doesn't happen to
more and more pilots.

I'm all for logical, sensible security strategies for our presidential
candidates, but what they did to my family was just stupid. We weren't a
threat, and we couldn't have become a threat. If they THOUGHT we were
potential threats, they could have escorted us to our plane, and searched
it. They could have had the FBO guys tow my plane to the OTHER FBO on the
OTHER side of the field, and we could have departed from there. (Those
planes were coming and going freely throughout this episode.)

They had a myriad of options, all of which they chose to ignore. The only
thing that satisfied them was my complete immobility, which is no different
than treating me like a suspected criminal.

And I resent it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 04, 12:07 AM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

I know Wisconsin's got cream puffs, and Iowa's got pork tenderloins (and
deep-fried Twinkies) -- but what's Minnesota famous for?

My personal favorite is the deep fried cheese curds. One of the local
EAA chapters always has a booth and a few partially completed
homebuilts. I believe they also have seminars on various building
techniques, such as painting, fabric, etc. The state DOT also has an
aeronautical booth setup next to the EAA one.

Old August 23rd 04, 12:13 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:56:03 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote in ::

No one with the kind of power they have will ever give a flying
f__k.

And from what body of law does their power emanate? Do they truly
have jurisdictional authority in the situation Mr. Honeck experienced?
Old August 23rd 04, 12:13 AM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

Well, before I fly two hours

You lose a cylinder or somethin'? It's only 208 miles

Old August 23rd 04, 12:22 AM
Jay Honeck

well put Martin, I think Jay may be turning into a troll. Big fuss about
nothing. I find the story encouraging in that the management of the
security arrangements seems proportionate to the person being protected.

Right.

I just did the math. Assuming that there were "only" 50 law enforcement
officers at the airport, tied up for maybe 5 hours, (not assuming over-time
pay, which it may have been on a Sunday), at an average pay of $50K per year
(including benefits), Mr. Edwards' little party on the ramp in DSM cost
tax-payers about $6000.

This, of course, is only counting the cost of security we saw at the
airport. Let's not forget the en route security guys, the guys at the event
itself, and the guys we COULDN'T see. Factor in the cost of transportation,
and you're into five figures, easy -- all for just ONE crummy little speech,
given by a V.P. candidate!

You're sure willing to **** this kind of money away protecting a
vice-presidential wannabee -- and you're sure cavalier about our freedom of
movement.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 04, 12:24 AM
Jay Honeck

My personal favorite is the deep fried cheese curds.

Ooooooo, deep-fried cheese curds. That's a big Wisconsin thing, too.

Each one takes a day off of your life, but it's worth it!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 04, 12:27 AM
Chuck

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news91Wc.21556$9d6.17529@attbi_s54...
[...] If this is what we have to look forward to under a
Kerry/Edwards presidency, I fear the worst is yet to come.

Of all the idiotic posts you've made, this is certainly one of them.

Couldn't you at least *pretend* to hide your prejudice? Do you have even

shred of evidence that the exact same thing wouldn't have happened to you
had Dick Cheney showed up at the same airport in 1999? No, of course not.

True, but why does a *candidate* need all of the protection paid for by the
tax payers?

---

Old August 23rd 04, 12:27 AM
Jay Honeck

You lose a cylinder or somethin'? It's only 208 miles

207.8, but who's counting?

Okay, so it'll only take 1:27 minutes...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 04, 12:35 AM
Donald M. Ross

Wonder how much fun I would have had? I generally "carry".

Don

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
newss9Wc.212699$eM2.189310@attbi_s51...
Jay, weren't you the one who said your life had not changed because of

9/11
paranoia?

No my LIFESTYLE has not changed. (It was Eduardo's statement that the

"new
American lifestyle sucks" that I was responding to...)

In the overall scheme of things, my delay in DSM was a minor

inconvenience.
But it was a stupid, pointless delay nonetheless, and one that deserves

our
attention.
--
Jay Honeck