Run In With Mr. Edwards

Old August 23rd 04, 03:37 AM
Blanche

Geoffrey Barnes wrote:
the SS in the FBO lobby. I'm just saying that they have a certain
pre-conceived mindset concerning GA, and that anything you did short of meek
and apologetic acceptance is quite likely to be twitsted into a
justification of this misbegotten mindset.

Actually, it's not merely GA. The pre-conceived mindset is towards
anyone and everyone. The philosophy is that *anyone* is a
bad guy.

Old August 23rd 04, 03:40 AM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
I just did the math. Assuming that there were "only" 50 law enforcement
officers at the airport, tied up for maybe 5 hours, (not assuming over-time
pay, which it may have been on a Sunday), at an average pay of $50K per year
(including benefits), Mr. Edwards' little party on the ramp in DSM cost
tax-payers about $6000.

As I understand it, the national party is supposed to reimburse the
local agencies for security. The trouble is, sometimes they do,
sometimes they don't, or don't pay the whole bill.
My solution is to demand cash upfront at the planning stage.
They don't pay, they don't get local cooperation.
The political machines here in Ohio are spinning the "disruptions" as
good publiciity for the communities that cannot be bought at any price.

Old August 23rd 04, 03:40 AM
StellaStar

Newps sez:
Iowa always claims this but in reality they are a distant second to the
Minnesota State Fair.

Minnesota's bigger and I'm fond of it, but Iowa's pretty nice too. Remember,
this year USA Today tabbed it second on its list of ten best places in the
country to visit.

Opening night I walked the Iowa State Fair Midway and noticed at the squirtgun
race game a young couple gleefully playing, their kids drowsing in two
strollers behind them, all four clean, quiet, content and smiling. There are
many places in the world worse to be. :-)
Old August 23rd 04, 04:00 AM
Jay Honeck

Kerry is (or, at least, was) an honorable man,
and I wish him the best in the upcoming election.

He "was", until the tragic inconvenience of you having to sit in an FBO

for
an hour?

No, Kerry was honorable until he went on TV blasting the behavior of his
country and his fellow soldiers, while the Viet Nam war was in progress and
his comrades were still being held prisoner.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 04, 04:01 AM
Jay Honeck

Is it safe to say you will be voting Republican?? :-)

I usually lean their way -- but this year has been up for grabs.

The more I hear about Kerry, however, the less I like.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 04, 04:05 AM
Jim Weir

Are you telling me that as a serious contender for the California gubernatorial
office in October last year I should have had police protection?

We landed in Fresno at the same time the Goobernator was there three weeks
before the election, and he had cops coming out his ears. We were lucky to have
people to fuel the aircraft.

Just some random thoughts, mindya...

Jim

"Jay Honeck"

- Only if it is the Democrat. If it is the Republican, stand by for flowers
-and
- poetry.
-
-Hee hee! Ahem, not true.
http://www.rst-engr.com
Old August 23rd 04, 04:06 AM
Jay Honeck

You have to wait for one hour after sunset.
darkness has nothing to do with it. (or have I misread 61.57?)

You are correct, although in practical terms, I've found that FAR to be
irrelevant.

Total darkness is, well, total -- and I don't much care if it happens to
occur only 48 minutes (or whatever) past sunset.

(Nor have I ever met a CFI who cares, either...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 04, 04:12 AM
Jay Honeck

Are you telling me that as a serious contender for the California
gubernatorial
office in October last year I should have had police protection?

No.

But a personal security agent who happened to look exactly like Trinity (See
"The Matrix" sometime, Jim) would've been nice, I'm sure...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 04, 04:26 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

But a personal security agent who happened to look exactly like Trinity
(See
"The Matrix" sometime, Jim) would've been nice, I'm sure...

Your wife's opinion may vary...

Old August 23rd 04, 04:27 AM
Andrew Gideon

Icebound wrote:

For all the difference it will make on election day, they could all make
their speeches from an underground studio inside the Colorado Mountains.

Then if we'd just quietly shut the door on our way out...

- Andrew