Alien training rule

Old July 14th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Alien training rule

TSA Too Stupid for Arby's

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
| Andrew Sarangan wrote:
| Emily wrote:
| Paul Tomblin wrote:
| The AOPA "Guide to TSA's Alien Flight
Training/Citizenship Validation
| Rule" http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/ says that
validation is required for
| training for "recreational pilot, sport pilot, or
private pilot
| certificate; multiengine rating; or instrument
training". If I've got an
| PP-ASEL-IA, does going for my ASES (float rating)
constitute going for
| another private pilot certificate, or is it just an
add-on to my existing
| certificate?
|

| My FSDO says yes, it's another rating. Then again,
they might not know
| what they're talking about.
|
| Ask them to show you where it says that. The only two
ratings that need
| TSA approval are the instrument and multi-engine
ratings. The TSA
| document is very clear despite its insanity.
|
| I really prefer to associate with them as little as
humanly possible.
| This was a conversation that came up when I *had* to go in
there. We
| were just shooting the breeze, so i wasn't looking for
references or

Old July 14th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

Thanx Jim.. BT

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Since he has a USA ATP rotorcraft certificate he no longer
qualifies to use the Canadian certificate to get a USA
private based on the Canadian certificate. The easiest path
to fly USA airplanes in the USA is to add the category and
class rating to the ATP, no more written is required, just
an oral and flight test. Using a CFI and getting the
required 61.31 endorsements is necessary, but the CFI does
not have to recommend for the ATP additional rating.

General rule... A US certificate holder must have the
category, class and type ratings but can fly any aircraft
registered any where in the world within the USA. They can
fly a US registered aircraft anywhere in the world. A
Canadian can fly a US registered aircraft in Canada or any
other within Canada or possibly in international airspace,
except within the USA.

The holder of an ATP can choose to add a rating at a lower
level to the certificate, but in that case needs to have the
appropriate knowledge test and all the endorsements and
signatures. Their certificate would be ATP rotorcraft [this
example] helicopter and the ASEL IR commercial privileges.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"BTIZ" wrote in message
|a Canadian with a canadian fixed wing rating cannot fly a
US regisistered
| airplane
| He needs should have just been able to get the US
equivalent based on his
| Canadian fixed wing rating.
|
| The US ATP in helo would have no merit in this case.
|
| BT
|
| "Don Tuite" wrote
in message
| Couple years ago, a buddy of mine, a Canadian landed
immigrant had to
| jump through the hoops. He had a US airline transport
rating, but in
| helicopters and a canadian fixed wing rating. He wanted
to buy into
| the club and fly its pipers.
|
| He had to go through the TSA stuff AND take post-solo
PPL training.
| What was particularly wacky was that he had to do all
the solo hours
| as well. Why? Because while he had hundreds of
fixed-wing hours in
| his Canadian logbooks, he'd generally flown with
friends, and he'd
| always noted their names in the remarks column. FSDO
said those hours
| didn't count because he wasn't SOLO.
|
| Also, it was hard fo find a freelance instructor who
wanted the grief
| of making sure he'd crossed his Ts and dotted his Is.
|
| Makes buying stamps at an Italian Post Office seem like
childs' play.