Dancing with the wind

Old December 11th 20, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default Dancing with the wind

I wonder if anyone has bought this book by Jean-Marie Clement ?
In S and G he tells of flying a Stemme S 10 in Chile, in very unusual
lift to over 6000 m in summer clothing!!! This was lift generated
by a vortex train behind volcanoes and is illustrated in his book.
Imagine a V train of geese, the leader is the volcano and each bird
is a patch of lift.
This is the most significant discovery since what?
It requires a strong inversion at the peak level and neutral stability
above. Not cold in Summer clothing suggests a really strong
and deep inversion layer.

Some years ago I repeatedly used a patch of weak lift on the flank of
Mt. Whiteface while failing to find wave in the usual place.
I surmised at the time that this was a persistent vortex.

Anyone else encountered this?

Get your vaccine shot asap.

John F
Old December 11th 20, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 12/11/20 10:01 AM, john firth wrote:
Not cold in Summer clothing suggests a really strong
and deep inversion layer.

....Or plenty of sunshine through the canopy. I routinely (in the
summer) fly the Stemme up to 17,999' MSL and am not uncomfortable. Now,
if under the clouds, it's a different story.

--
Dan
5J
Old December 11th 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

My favorite soaring weather book.

Same phenomenon has been observed and (i believe) soared in the Pacific Northwest. Maybe Mount Rainier? I seem to remember an article.
Old December 12th 20, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 12/11/2020 1:56 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 12/11/20 10:01 AM, john firth wrote:
Not cold inÂ* Summer clothing suggests a really strong
and deep inversion layer.

...Or plenty of sunshine through the canopy.Â* I routinely (in the
summer) fly the Stemme up to 17,999' MSL and am not uncomfortable.Â* Now,
if under the clouds, it's a different story.

There have been times when I've circled in sink, in the sun between the
clouds, just to warm up!