New Year's Day soaring?

Old January 2nd 13, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Year's Day soaring?

Back in the "Good Olde Days", we used to fly nearly every Jan 1st in southern Michigan, frequently with plenty of snow on the ground, and sometimes in the air. Does anybody still do this? It only counts if it's difficult! Floridians need not apply.
Old January 2nd 13, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate[_2_]

On Jan 2, 6:11*am, wrote:
Back in the "Good Olde Days", we used to fly nearly every Jan 1st in southern Michigan, frequently with plenty of snow on the ground, and sometimes in the air. Does anybody still do this? It only counts if it's difficult! Floridians need not apply.

LVVSA does! It was chilly (by Las Vegas standards) but not
'difficult'. All sled rides all day (10 tows), though there was a
rumor of some slight ridge 'not-sink'!
Old January 2nd 13, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Jan 2, 7:03*am, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Jan 2, 6:11*am, wrote:

Back in the "Good Olde Days", we used to fly nearly every Jan 1st in southern Michigan, frequently with plenty of snow on the ground, and sometimes in the air. Does anybody still do this? It only counts if it's difficult! Floridians need not apply.

LVVSA does! *It was chilly (by Las Vegas standards) but not
'difficult'. *All sled rides all day (10 tows), though there was a
rumor of some slight ridge 'not-sink'!

we flew at Mountain Valley Airport in Tehachapi CA. Many of us flew
open an open cockpit 1-26 for our annual Polar Bear Glide.

Dan
Old January 2nd 13, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sure. Philadelphia Glider Council tries to fly in 1/1 whenever conditions permit. This year we had a good number of flights with conditions in the lower 30s and a light snow cover on the field. For those who have not flown with snow, the gliders are virtually invisable on the ground (yes, I did just have my eyes checked.

Happy new Year.
Skip Guimond
Old January 2nd 13, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:11:29 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Back in the "Good Olde Days", we used to fly nearly every Jan 1st in southern Michigan, frequently with plenty of snow on the ground, and sometimes in the air. Does anybody still do this? It only counts if it's difficult! Floridians need not apply.

Colorado Soaring Association did some winch launches at Owl Canyon Gliderport on 1/1 after digging out the snow blocked hangar doors and sorting out a leaking vacuum port on the Rochester carb and replacing the frozen battery.. Nice and sunny but the winds were not very good for winching. Some complained of cold feet (literally).

http://www.soarcsa.org/ocgpwx/wview/Weekly.htm

Frank Whiteley
Old January 2nd 13, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Smith[_4_]

At 15:13 02 January 2013, Dan wrote:
On Jan 2, 7:03=A0am, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Jan 2, 6:11=A0am, wrote:

Back in the "Good Olde Days", we used to fly nearly every Jan 1st in

so=
uthern Michigan, frequently with plenty of snow on the ground, and
sometime=
s in the air. Does anybody still do this? It only counts if it's
difficult!=
Floridians need not apply.

LVVSA does! =A0It was chilly (by Las Vegas standards) but not
'difficult'. =A0All sled rides all day (10 tows), though there was a
rumor of some slight ridge 'not-sink'!

we flew at Mountain Valley Airport in Tehachapi CA. Many of us flew
open an open cockpit 1-26 for our annual Polar Bear Glide.

Dan
Scottish wave, first few hours at 5000ft and I wasn't alone,happy season

to all

Old January 2nd 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

SOSA Gliding Club in Canada flew yesterday, with photographic evidence at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2228...1221901722914/
Old January 3rd 13, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

Must login to Facebook to view your page. So it is not viewable.

Old January 3rd 13, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Marfa, near the Davis Mountains of southwest Texas, USA. Some soft thermals so it was perfect for training and giving a checkride. Only slightly "difficult" aspect was replacing the battery on my towplane. (Always keep a new one on the shelf.) That reminds me -- need to order another spare battery tomorrow. By the way, these ARE the "Good Olde Days!"
Old January 3rd 13, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 8:11:29 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Back in the "Good Olde Days", we used to fly nearly every Jan 1st in southern Michigan, frequently with plenty of snow on the ground, and sometimes in the air. Does anybody still do this? It only counts if it's difficult! Floridians need not apply.

Our Club in Chicago does a Chili Cook off and members take turns flying the 2-33 and 1-26. Sometimes we do landing contests. This year was 11 flights in the 1-26. Lots of little bumps at 1000ft.

Zen

Thunderbirds to appear at this year's KC Aviation Expo AJ Piloting 1 February 9th 08 04:27 AM
This year's leading contender... Dan Luke[_2_] Piloting 15 July 9th 07 05:17 PM
This year's annual A Lieberma Owning 43 November 20th 06 02:06 PM
New Year's Eve / Day TFRs 2003 / 2004 Guy Elden Jr. Piloting 10 January 1st 04 11:55 PM
Pitch for unmanned flights could come by year's end Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 20th 03 04:12 AM