UAL Challenge & Flight Sim Papers

Old August 14th 04, 02:02 PM
Tom Allensworth

Default UAL Challenge & Flight Sim Papers

How does flying a 747-400 with Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004 compare
with the real thing?

Jason Hartmann, Senior Staff Engineer at United Airline's Flight Center in
Denver wants to know-and to find out he's offering this terrific invitation
to 6 lucky simmers: Fly approaches with your FS Boeing 747-400 into
Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, then repeat those in UAL's 747-400
full motion simulator! The cost to you? Nothing-you just have to live in the
Denver area (or be willing to cover your own travel expenses if you're
selected).

As Jason puts it, "I'd like to bring in a couple of AVSIM enthusiasts (to
crew each session) who feel they are competent 'pilots' based on their use
of Microsoft Flight Simulator (or other PC based simulator) and see how well
they can fly our full motion flight simulators. I'd like to find six people
who have never flown a full motion simulator or aircraft and ask them to
practice an approach into O'Hare before they came here. After they have
practiced it, I'd bring them into our facility and let them try the approach
in the simulator with motion and different conditions (winds, turbulence,
visibility, etc.) and see how well the PC simulator prepared them for the
"real" thing. We have a simulator digital recording tool-the FlightViz
simulator debrief tool-that records the flights so we can play back the
results at the conference." See the front page of AVSIM for more detail and
how to sign up!

We have a great slate of presentations coming up for you at the AVSIM 2004
Conference and Exhibition, so be sure you're registered for both the
Saturday and Sunday Sept. 18/19 conference sessions. There's news about both
IVAO and VATSIM regarding their upcoming Virtual ATC Client IvAp and
SquawkBox v3. You'll hear about flight simulation applied to a wealth of
real-world training environments as well as practical advice for your own
simulated flying. There's a session of AFCAD creation and a first for
Avsim's conferences-a workshop on scenery design.

In a Special Feature for this conference we've invited engineers from United
Air Lines' Denver Flight Center to present a panel of sessions on various
aspects of real world simulation. This includes another 'first', a video
demonstration showing the results of the Full Motion to PC Simulator
Comparison announced today! Oh, and you can expect to hear from Microsoft's
Flight Simulation team-we suspect their presentation will illuminate some
'myths' surrounding FS configuration and performance issues.

You can see the presentation schedule he

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0804/pres...entations.html

--
Best Regards,

Tom Allensworth
www.avsim.com
Join Us In Denver for the 2004 Conference and Exhibition!
http://www.avsim.com/pages/2004conf/

Old August 16th 04, 01:09 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Do this same thing with an F-16 simulator and I'm there!

Old August 24th 04, 06:11 AM
Bob

I've flown a full motion F-16 sim. All I can say is WOW!