Condor Soaring Sim Now Avaliable

Old April 20th 05, 03:51 PM
John Doe

Default Condor Soaring Sim Now Avaliable

Hi All,
Just to let you know that Condor is now avaliable
from www.condorsoaring.com.

Having played it for a good few hours it seems
pretty damn good (and no, I'm not on commision or in
any way related to the development team ;-) ). The
scenery is lovely, the planes feel right (having never
flown a Nimbus 4 or an ASW 28 I can't comment on how
precise they are but they feel right), and the thermal
and lift models seem very detailed. All this set in
beautiful Slovenia ;-)

As an aside, this is the only soaring sim I've
seen that I would consider recommending to a non glider
simulator enthusiast, as the whole product is very
polished and the addition of a comprehensive 'flight
school' set of training scenarios that can be either
watched or flown make the learning curve a lot easier.

As for requirements, it runs perfectly well on
my 1.6ghz Centrino laptop with a pretty puny graphics
card and 512mb ram :-D

Check it out

www.condorsoaring.com

Cheers

Jamie

Now back to work... :-(

Old April 21st 05, 03:55 PM
Bill Gribble

Hi Jamie, thanks for the heads-up on Condor's release.

That said, unlike SFSPC, SotS or (and perhaps more to the point) the
recently released Silent Wings, they don't provide a demo to download
and try, and have stated they've no intention of doing so. Which is a
pity.

My machine is something of an old lady in terms of performance these
days (on a par with yours, it would seem, though with more ram and
better graphics). And whilst you are clearly delighted with the
performance of their sim on your rig, I'm not going to take the chance
that my expectations of performance match yours. Especially not when I
can download the competition (Silent Wings) and try them out for myself
for a couple of weeks before parting with hard cash.

A shame, because a multiplayer gliding sim based in the Alps actually
appeals to me more than a gliding sim based over Minden (nothing wrong
with Minden, but the Alps are closer to home!). But in that the latter
offer a demo so that I know exactly what I'm getting for my cash and the
former doesn't and doesn't intend to any time in the near future, I
suspect I've already decided where my cash is going

-Bill

John Doe writes

--
Bill Gribble
http://www.scapegoatsanon.demon.co.uk
Old April 22nd 05, 10:25 AM
Marian Aldenhövel

Hi,

Just to let you know that Condor is now avaliable from www.condorsoaring.com.

It looks good in the screenshots and videos.

But I also agree with the opinion that the unavailability of a demo version is
a bad decision. The argument that building two versions would make the product
more expensive does not hold in my opinion. The additional work to support a
crippled-in-some-way version is minimal (on the order of an hour or two) and
only needs to be invested once.

While the product is not expensive I will definitely not buy it without trying
it first. I have homebuilt rudder pedals and will only buy software that is
flexible enough to be able to use them. There is no way I can find that out
from a features list.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de