A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How Do You Evaluate an OLC Flight ?

Old April 24th 21, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default How Do You Evaluate an OLC Flight ?

I would like to know how others evaluate an OLC flight and determine the difficulty factor involved? I will hold my opinion until this has been truly debated. Old Bob
Old April 25th 21, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 6:29:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I would like to know how others evaluate an OLC flight and determine the difficulty factor involved? I will hold my opinion until this has been truly debated. Old Bob

The file may have a declaration embedded, but I suppose you would have to download it to read it. Other than that, there's no comparison with committing to a task. Of course there's much to be said for skillful task-setting!
Old April 26th 21, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard
external usenet poster

sub'd
Old April 27th 21, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter
external usenet poster

On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 8:29:50 AM UTC+10, wrote:

You won't believe it Bob, but the OLC does it for you and allocates points accordingly!
Old April 27th 21, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 7:07:22 PM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote:

You won't believe it Bob, but the OLC does it for you and allocates points accordingly!

Matt, it must be a conspiracy! The question was how do you, not OLC, it flew right over your head.
Old April 27th 21, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 12:11:31 AM UTC+1, wrote:

Matt, it must be a conspiracy! The question was how do you, not OLC, it flew right over your head.

Some years ago, OLC added bonus points for triangle flights after analyzing many cross-country flights - adding about 30% in points as I recall. Before that, points were based solely on distance and glider handicap.

This is a pretty rough guesstimate of evaluation - distance plus triangle bonus - but there are plenty of other variables left out.

Feel free to develop a new set of algorithms!

Mike
Old April 28th 21, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 5:42:45 PM UTC-4, Mike the Strike wrote:

Some years ago, OLC added bonus points for triangle flights after analyzing many cross-country flights - adding about 30% in points as I recall. Before that, points were based solely on distance and glider handicap.

This is a pretty rough guesstimate of evaluation - distance plus triangle bonus - but there are plenty of other variables left out.

Mike

Mike, you are on the correct path. Old Bob
Old April 28th 21, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z
external usenet poster

The folks at WeGlide.org appear to be open to scoring formula and data presentation suggestions. I just asked them to somehow identify declared fights. These are often more difficult that an ad-hoc choice once in the air.

5Z

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 11:56:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Mike

Old April 28th 21, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

I usually look at the circling % to analyze how difficult a particular flight was.

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 1:56:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Mike

Old April 28th 21, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner
external usenet poster

On 4/28/2021 4:29 PM, 5Z wrote:
The folks at WeGlide.org appear to be open to scoring formula and data presentation suggestions. I just asked them to somehow identify declared fights. These are often more difficult that an ad-hoc choice once in the air.

5Z

- Good idea. If there is a declaration within the flight log file (as
is now required (in the USA) rather than on paper), it is possible for
the software to check whether the declared task was completed. SeeYou
does that. A fine point is that the rules for crossing the start and
finish lines and rounding the turnpoints may differ between countries.

Remaining questions include:
* how many more points to award for completion of a declared task
* or perhaps just display the fact that it was a declared task - seems
like what you asked for
* what to do with partially-completed tasks, do they deserve any extra
points (or recognition) relative to flights with no declaration
* what to do with additional distance flown beyond the declared task