Sign Up to Receive NASA Flight Safety Newsletter E-mail, Surrender Your Privacy

Old June 16th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Sign Up to Receive NASA Flight Safety Newsletter E-mail, Surrender Your Privacy

Sign Up to Receive NASA Flight Safety Newsletter E-mail, Surrender
Your Privacy

Hey, at first glance it looks like NASA/ASRS are moving into the 21st
century by distributing their newsletter via e-mail:

ASRS CALLBACK GOES ONLINE
(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#198111)
The NASA Aviation Safety Reporting System (ASRS) has gone online.
Now from the ASRS website, pilots can receive CALLBACK in their
inbox by signing up online
(http://visitor.constantcontact.com/e...73741327&p=oi).
The monthly safety bulletin includes excerpts from ASRS incident
reports with supporting commentary as well as occasional research
studies and aviation safety information. The ASRS website
(http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/) also offers an online database and
Electronic Report Submission portal that accepted 45,000 reports
from pilots, controllers, mechanics and flight attendants last
year.

But then things get a little murkier:

Email Privacy Policy
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving...vacyPolicy.jsp
Use of Web Beacons

When we send you emails, we may include a web beacon to allow us
to determine the number of people who open our emails. When you
click on a link in an email, we may record this individual
response to allow us to customize our offerings to you. Web
beacons collect only limited information, such as a cookie
identifier, time and date of a page being viewed, and a
description of the page on which the Web Beacon resides (the URL).

Web Beacons can be refused when delivered via email. If you do not
wish to receive Web Beacons via email, you will need to disable
HTML images or refuse HTML (select Text only) emails via your
email software.

Why would ASRS, the folks that offer ananymity to pilots reporting
deviations from federal regulations, elect to collect data on the
readers of their e-mial newsletter?

Well, at least it's possible to opt-out of NASA's e-mail tracking by
not visiting the URLs in their newsletter, but that may require users
to reconfigure their e-mail client software (MS Outlook,...) so that
it doesn't support HTML content.

This appears to be the firm providing NASA with e-mial tracking data:

http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp
Look what you can do today!
With Email Marketing & Online Surveys.

Whether you're looking to send an email newsletter, a high-impact
email promotion, an email event invitation, an online survey, or
build your email list, discover how Constant Contact can help you
get it done.

Email Marketing and Online Surveys from Constant Contact make it
easy and affordable for you to connect with your customers or
members.

With SpeakUp! Email Marketing you can:

* Get started fast with customizable HTML email templates
* Create email campaigns in a snap with our easy-to-use Email
Wizard
* Build, manage, and secure your email marketing contacts
* Send email marketing communications and be confident they'll
get delivered
* Get results fast with instant tracking and reporting
* Extend the life of your email marketing when you add Email
Archive

Personally, I'll stick with reading Callback on-line:

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/publications/callback.html

Or not:

http://www.nasa.gov/about/highlights/HP_Privacy.html
NASA never collects information for commercial marketing. We will
only share your information with another government agency if it
relates to that agency, or as otherwise required by law. NASA
never creates individual profiles or gives your information to any
private organization.

Automatically Collected Information

We collect and temporarily store certain technical information
about your visit for use in site management and security purposes.
This information includes:

1. The Internet domain from which you access our Web site (for
example, "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access
account, or "yourschool.edu" if you connect from an educational
domain);
2. The IP address (a unique number for each computer connected
to the Internet) from which you access our Web site;
3. The type of browser (e.g., Netscape, Internet Explorer) used
to access our site;
4. The operating system (Windows, Unix) used to access our
site;
5. The date and time you access our site;
6. The URLs of the pages you visit;
7. Your username, if it was used to log in to the Web site; and
8. If you visited this NASA Web site from another Web site, the
URL of the forwarding site.

This information is only used to help us make our site more useful
for you. With this data we learn about the number of visitors to
our site and the types of technology our visitors use.

Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no attempts
are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw
data logs are retained temporarily as required for security and
site management purposes only.

Information Collected for Tracking and Customization (Cookies)

NASA Officials for Privacy Related Matters

NASA Senior Agency Official for Privacy
Jonathan Q. Pettus (Acting)
Chief Information Officer

NASA Agency Privacy Act Officer
Patti F. Stockman
NASA Privacy Act Officer
NASA Office of the Chief Information Officer
NASA Headquarters
Washington, DC 20546-0001

Contact: 202-358-4787
Email:

Date of publication: March, 2007.

Another choice:

http://www.youhide.com/
Anonymous proxy server is a routing communications between your
computer and the Internet that can hide or mask your unique
address to prevent unauthorized access to your computer over the
Internet. An address is your computer's digital ID while you are
online. By masking this, it helps pervent other web sites that can
gain access and gather personal information about you through your
unique address. Any anonymous proxy server can diquise your online
ID by using its own address in place of yours in every outgoing
request. Therefore, helping protect your privacy while you are
online.

Old June 17th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Clark[_2_]

On Jun 16, 10:54 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
[...]

I'm the one that initiated promotion of their recent improvements.
There's no conspiracy, sorry. Just a solid 30 year old program that
gathers information on events to improve safety of the National
Airspace System. Only 35 percent of the reports deal with non-
conformance to FARs, and most of those the FAA would never have been
aware of. I talk with the folks there and there is nothing higher on
their list of priorities than protecting the identity of reporters. It
is too bad that we live in a blame society, because there is a lot of
information we will never know about because of that blame culture and
the litigious nature of our society.

But you offer some excellent information here, thanks for posting it.
If you have some suggestions for them, they would be glad to hear
about them.

Fly Smart
Kent

Old June 17th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:09:01 -0700 (PDT), Clark
wrote in
:

[...]

Are you saying that you were the one who prompted the use of "Web
Beacons" by ASRS? Or are you referring to other "improvements?" If
so, what might they be?

There's no conspiracy, sorry.

Why does ASRS find it necessary to pay to track the CallBack
readership's activities?

Just a solid 30 year old program that gathers information on events
to improve safety of the National Airspace System.

I'm aware of that. That's not an issue I raised.

Only 35 percent of the reports deal with non-conformance to FARs,
and most of those the FAA would never have been aware of.

What do the other 65% deal with? Non-conformance with FAOs? NMACs?
Company policies? Military regulations?

I talk with the folks there and there is nothing higher on
their list of priorities than protecting the identity of reporters.

If their priorities were any other way, they'd soon be out of work for
lack of participants.

It is too bad that we live in a blame society, because there is a lot of
information we will never know about because of that blame culture and
the litigious nature of our society.

It's just an inherent aspect of the system.

There are a lot of things in life that are unfortunate due to mutually
exclusive compromises. If you remove the right to litigate, you may
learn some information, but justice will not be served. Conversely,

But you offer some excellent information here, thanks for posting it.

You're welcome. And thank you for providing your input on the
subject.

If you have some suggestions for them, they would be glad to hear
about them.

Fly Smart
Kent

I suggest they lose the "Web Beacons" unless there is some redeeming
benefit; it seems counter to their image of impartiality.

I may begin using some of the CallBack stories as seed material for
discussion here in the future.
Old June 18th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Clark[_2_]

Larry, as I do not know what your level of familiarity with ASRS is,
the responses here are for benefit of readership and assume a basic
awareness that a program exists...

On Jun 17, 11:49 am, Larry Dighera wrote:

Are you saying that you were the one who prompted the use of "Web Beacons" by ASRS?

KBL: Nope. That seems to be an area you are familiar with. I'd
recommend contacting the folks at ASRS if you think there will be
problems with perception. I know they would value your input.

Or are you referring to other "improvements?" If so, what might they be?

KBL: Electronic report submission, searchable online database and
availability of electronic Callback. But as you have brought up, those
may not be "improvements" in the eye of every beholder. Maybe the Feds
having name address SSN and medical data was enough?

Why does ASRS find it necessary to pay to track the CallBack readership's activities?

KBL: Pleas call Chuck Drew and ask him. Or the FAA, it is their
program.

KBL: Just a solid 30 year old program that gathers information on
events to improve safety of the National Airspace System.

I'm aware of that. That's not an issue I raised.

KBL: You're correct. Sorry about that. I misinterpreted the tone of
your post and level of ASRS program awareness.

KBL: Only 35 percent of the reports deal with non-conformance to FARs
and most of those the FAA would never have been aware of.

What do the other 65% deal with? Non-conformance with FAOs? NMACs? Company policies? Military regulations?

KBL: The other reports deal with hazards that have been identified,
human and material factors that would not otherwise be reported to
regulators and manufacturers. Lessons learned that one might want to
share with their fellow airmen. Otherwise known as "There I Was"
stories. Not everything has to be an accident, incident or deviation
from FARs to be of interest to the safety community. In fact, as you
know, it is most likely a confluence of multiple latent factors that
leads up to a mishap, an active failure of the system. The more of
these factors we can identify and mitigate, the better the performance
of the system.

KBL: I talk with the folks there and there is nothing higher on their
list of priorities than protecting the identity of reporters.
If their priorities were any other way, they'd soon be out of work

for lack of participants.
KBL: Pretty much how it went the first year of ASRS when the FAA was
running it. NASA took over and they had more reports in the first few
months than the entire previous year.

KBL: It is too bad that we live in a blame society, because there is a
lot of information we will never know about because of that blame
culture and the litigious nature of our society.
It's just an inherent aspect of the system. There are a lot of things in life that are unfortunate due to mutually exclusive compromises. If you remove the right to litigate, you may learn some information, but justice will not be served.

KBL: Justice may make us feel better about the system and feeds
lawyer's families, but in many cases it does nothing to address the
small failures. Blame someone and move on. I am thinking of good
people doing work in demanding situations where active deficiencies in
the system develop into failures. Did we fix anything so that the next
crew does not discover the same hazards with more disastrous
circumstances? Having done this for 30 years I have seen many a good
investigation derailed once a "probable cause" is identified and we
have someone to wear the blame banner.
I believe Thomas Kuhn's "Structure of Scientific Revolution" does a
good job of explaining why we act the way we do, assigning blame and
quantifying safety to reassure ourselves. I personally believe that
there must be a balance between quantity and quality, art and science,
production and protection when you are operating a system, managing
quality, improving performance and investigating failures. If we do
not move "beyond probable cause" we will not have a shot at further
reducing the current mishap rate. It will take imagination and change
from current blame game to accomplish this. If we do not, and the rate
stays where it currently is, we will see more mishaps as international
air travel numbers increase.
For those interested in the future of safety systems, I recommend "The
Limits of Expertise: Rethinking Pilot Error and the Causes of Airline
Accidents" by DIsmukes, Berman and Loukopolos
http://www.amazon.com/Limits-Experti.../dp/0754649652
and also recent books by Sidney Dekker "Ten Questions About Human
Error: A New View of Human Factors and System Safety"
James Reason is another good resource.

ICAO is mandating Safety Management Systems for member state airlines
by 2009. In order for SMS to succeed, you have to have employee
participation. That requires a "trust" culture and sharing of
information in order to identify hazards and improve the system. If
information is shared solely for the benefit of the lawyers, the
quantity and quality of the information will be thin and value of SMS
will be marginalized.

I suggest they lose the "Web Beacons" unless there is some redeeming benefit; it seems counter to their image of impartiality.

I may begin using some of the CallBack stories as seed material for discussion here in the future.

Great! A good question would be "What parts of the system could have
better supported the pilot/dispatcher/supervisor/regulator...in their
decision making process? IOW "Why" did they make "poor decisions" or
exercise "poor judgment", as the mishap reports cheerily point out?
Bad info in a lot of cases, or mistimed information.
Anyway, off to pull weeds!

Thanks Larry for all of the great info you have posted since 2001. It
has generated some great discussion and that's what this is all about!
If you're ever in DFW give me a holler and we'll get some BBQ.

Kent

Old June 18th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 18 Jun 2008 14:09:36 GMT, Robert Moore
wrote in 29:

Clark wrote
Thanks Larry for all of the great info you have posted since 2001. It
has generated some great discussion and that's what this is all about!
If you're ever in DFW give me a holler and we'll get some BBQ.

Hope that Clark's one post helps erase many of the negative responses
that you get from many of the assholes that hang out on this newsgroup.

Bob Moore

Thanks for the support, Bob.

I try to focus on flying and information rather than personalities.
Generally, when the discussion turns personal, there's little to be
accomplished by pursuing it from that point onward.

Usenet is like a smörgåsbord fire-hose of data from which one can
choose to sample the tasty bits, and avoid the rest. It is also
useful as a database repository for information one may be interested
in retrieving in the future thanks to the search facility provided by
the Deja/GoogleGroups on-line archive.

At any rate, Usenet is what we make it. It will always be filled with
a representative cross section of humanity, as is life. If we fill
Usenet with enmity and aggression, it will have that characteristic
included in the experiences of we participants. If we fill it with
information and wisdom, Usenet's usefulness is enhanced, and perhaps
it will inspire others to do the same.
Old June 18th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 06:35:27 -0700 (PDT), Clark
wrote in
:

[...]
Or are you referring to other "improvements?" If so, what might they be?

KBL: Electronic report submission, searchable online database and
availability of electronic Callback.

I wasn't aware that it is now possible to submit ASRS reports
electronically. I know that it is necessary to submit a report within
ten days of its occurrence, and compliance with that requirement was
verified by a response letter from ASRS. That way, if the pilot were
contacted by a FSDO inspector over the reported incident, he could
show the ASRS letter, and legitimately claim immunity (providing the
other requirements were met). What substitutes for that dated ASRS
response letter under your new electronic form submission facility?

[...]
I may begin using some of the CallBack stories as seed material for discussion here in the future.

Great! A good question would be "What parts of the system could have
better supported the pilot/dispatcher/supervisor/regulator...in their
decision making process? IOW "Why" did they make "poor decisions" or
exercise "poor judgment", as the mishap reports cheerily point out?
Bad info in a lot of cases, or mistimed information.

Thanks for bringing that up. I agree, the NTSB should go beyond
stating their opinion of the cause of the mishaps they investigate,
and provide suggestions for generally mitigating those class of
causes.

Anyway, off to pull weeds!

Thanks Larry for all of the great info you have posted since 2001. It
has generated some great discussion and that's what this is all about!

Thank you for the kind words. It's a welcome change from the usual
heated debate and criticism. But those are useful too.

If you're ever in DFW give me a holler and we'll get some BBQ.

Kent

Mmmm...BBQ! Now you're talkin' my language. If you should happen to
find yourself in the southern California area, don't hesitate to shoot
me an e-mail, and I'll sacrifice a marinated tri-tip to the rotisserie
in your honor, and we can put the world straight over a glass of
California merlot.
Old June 18th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Clark[_2_]

1. If you submit a report electronically, which is how they get 2/3 of
them now, there is a report number generated at the end and you can
print that out. As before, the analysts get rid of identified data as
soon as they are done with "callbacks" on reports that rate additional
interest.

One thing I have discovered from my peeps so far is that the email
notifying you of a new Callback is text only. When you get the email,
there are links that take you to the newsletter. Here's some info I
just got:
"Early on in the CALLBACK Email Notification implementation we
switched from HTML emails to Text Only emails. Text only emails do not
have any tracking web beacons in them."

From the website:
"For your information, NASA has prevented any tracking of subscribers
through contract arrangements with this third party. NASA ASRS only
uses your e-mail address for CALLBACK subscriptions. NASA ASRS and the
third party vendor will never share or sell your personal
information."

What they are looking for is readership volume and preference.

OBTW they have reports from over 70 ASAP programs coming in now also.

There is program brief on the NASA ASRS site for those interested.
http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/overview/summary.html

I hope this helps. I went ahead and forwarded the questions along to
the program manager, and he has indicated that he will get the IT
people to look at issues raised. As always, quickest way to kill a
reporting program is to abuse the reporters, make it hard to report,
and to not give them any feedback. I know ASRS works hard to balance
these essentials, and will continue to do so as they move into
cyberspace.

2. NTSB does a good job of investigating with their limited resources
but that usually gets overlooked by reporters looking for the lead
story and 30 second sound bite. Do a google search fro Pinnacle 4712
in Traverse City (contaminated runway excursion) and look at a few of
the press releases over the last week. Some discovered the fact that
there were a lot of things going on that night (fatigue,
chronobiology, 15 hours on duty, after midnight, 8 hours of flying in
bad weather, training, SOPs, scheduling, weather, dispatch, airport
facilities, runway friction measuring methodologies, heueristic bias,
etc...), others were content to cite "poor decision" by pilot and call
it a day. Which serves the flying public better in the long run? I
know you know the answer

I enjoyed my many years in SoCal, compliments of Uncle Sam's Misguided
Children (USMC), El Toro and Pendleton. If I could pick a place to
live without needing to win the lottery, it would be Coronado.

Cooled off a bit, off to the weeds again!

Old June 19th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:54:46 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote:

Another choice:

http://www.youhide.com/
Anonymous proxy server is a routing communications between your
computer and the Internet that can hide or mask your unique
address to prevent unauthorized access to your computer over the
Internet. An address is your computer's digital ID while you are
online. By masking this, it helps pervent other web sites that can
gain access and gather personal information about you through your
unique address. Any anonymous proxy server can diquise your online
ID by using its own address in place of yours in every outgoing
request. Therefore, helping protect your privacy while you are
online.

ToR is the only choice.