Ventus 2cx brake

Old November 26th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BravoCharlie

Default Ventus 2cx brake

Hi Pilots,

I have a V2cxT that has the standard S-H disc brake that no longer
works very well. I have been through the obvious fixes; pads, new
fluid, bleed, etc. and haven't been able to bring it back up to
original performance which was adequate but not stellar.

I know a number of pilots have complained about this world-wide and S-
H has issued a voluntary TN. The fix is to basically throw the old
stuff away and replace everything including wheel and tire with the
French-made Beringer system. Beringer makes performance brake systems
for motorcycles, aircraft, etc. It is not cheap and probably not an
easy install.

Does any one have first hand knowledge about this fix? How easy is it
to install and what are the performance gains? I hate to lay out the
cash without an understanding of how much of an improvement I will
see.

Let me know, thanks.

Bob

Old November 26th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Nov 25, 9:33*pm, BravoCharlie
wrote:
[...]

Better idea. Remove the Tost wheel and brake and send them to Vintage
Brake (www.vintagebrake.com) in Sonora, California for a rebuild (~
$150). After three years, my Nimbus 2C still has powerful brakes.
Old November 26th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

wrote:

[...]

The Ventus 2cx has a Tost "adaptation" of a cleveland wheel and brake
plus a motorcycle handle-mount master cylinder. This is a disc system
and not related to the Tost mechanical hub. I'm not sure Vintage Brake
will help here.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old November 26th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 25, 11:33*pm, BravoCharlie
wrote:
[...]

Bob, I have the Beringer system in my Antares 20E.
Even at 660kg gross, the wheel brake performance
is outstanding. I can't speak to the ease of conversion
for the V2cx though, sorry.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: Did you already replace the factory Bowden cable
housing and core with something robust enough, and
add an adjuster ?
Old November 26th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

wrote:

[...]

$150). *After three years, my Nimbus 2C still has powerful brakes.- Hide quoted text -

I had a scored disc from a off-field landing where sand was forced in
between the disc and pads. After I used the brakes a couple of times
the sand gouged up both the disc and pads, then the brakes didn't work
as well. I also found that when pulling hard on the spoiler handle, my
spoilers were hitting their stops (full open stop) and this bacame the
limiting factor in brake application. A couple of turns on the
pushrod end that fed the master cylinder, fixed the problem. Make sure
your brake is full on, well before the spoilers hit their stops (if
your brake is on the spoiler handle).
Roger on the Vintage Brake guys,
JJ
JJ
Old November 26th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BravoCharlie

wrote:

[...]

As Dave noted my actuator is a lever on the stick which is wimpy
compared to the spoiler handle. Dave what do you suggest for a
replacement Bowden cable? This one looks like a bicycle system and
not even as beefy as a motorcycle version.

Mine is adjusted fine but I might be losing some effectiveness with
cable stretch and/or housing give. The adjuster is just the cable
clamp nut. I have also heard the suggestion to replace the plastic
brake fluid line with braided stainless. Any thoughts about that?
Old November 26th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

wrote:

[...]

Here's a note Tom sent me after the Great Weedoni improved
mine (this is years ago prior I upgraded to Antares). I don't
have the specifics on the cable and housing, but almost anything is
an improvement over the bicycle cable original. Pay attention
to the routing: no corners, and no obstruction of controls !!

http://www.nadler.com/public/ventus2...ke%20cable.htm

Hope this helps !
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

PS: Give a call if you want to discuss...
Old November 26th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BravoCharlie

wrote:

[...]

Thanks I will try a few more tweaks before I s-can the whole works.
Old November 26th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

wrote:

[...]

Let me know if you want more info on the Beringer system
and feel free to call with any questions about either...

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old November 26th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 26, 9:03*am, DRN wrote:

http://www.nadler.com/public/ventus2...ke%20cable.htm

Man that's ugly!

Why would anyone ruin a great hydraulic disc brake by actuating the
master cylinder with a bicycle cable?

Andy

brake fittings [email protected] Home Built 6 April 30th 07 01:33 AM
K21 brake parts Stuart Kinnear Soaring 10 June 26th 06 09:54 PM
looking for a 75 to 100 ton press brake about 8/10 ft Adrian eyre Home Built 1 January 6th 05 05:28 AM
BRAKE FLUID Ventus B Soaring 9 October 17th 04 07:25 PM
My squishy brake JFLEISC Owning 0 June 30th 04 01:44 AM