"Must Have" Tools for Christmas

Old December 21st 05, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default "Must Have" Tools for Christmas

"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote

I was poking fun, there are machines that require 660 VAC 3 phase,
but unless you are turning barrels for gunboats you aren't likely to
need one.

There would be an advantage to using 660 3 phase, for machines of the size
we would use. Wires would be easy to run. You could run a piece of 22
gauge wire, and get all of the power you needed! g
--
Jim in NC

Old December 21st 05, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I was poking fun, there are machines that require 660 VAC 3 phase, but
unless you are turning barrels for gunboats you aren't likely to need one.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Wow. I've seen lots of machines that run on 440, but never 660.

Dave Lyon
Bragging about his 4000 sq foot machine shop.

Old December 21st 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

LCT Paintball wrote:
I was poking fun, there are machines that require 660 VAC 3 phase, but
unless you are turning barrels for gunboats you aren't likely to need one.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Wow. I've seen lots of machines that run on 440, but never 660.

Dave Lyon
Bragging about his 4000 sq foot machine shop.

Check out your local large ship building facilities. I visited the
Newport News yard when I was stationed near there in the 1970s. It made
me wonder about the shops they subcontracted to. Um, what is the
combination to the lock on your machine shop door?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old December 21st 05, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Check out your local large ship building facilities. I visited the

Not too many of those here in Missouri....

.. Um, what is the
combination to the lock on your machine shop door?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

You don't need the combination. Come on by I'll let you in.

Old December 21st 05, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote

Um, what is the
combination to the lock on your machine shop door?

You don't need a combination; only one of those gunbarrels, and umm, I would
say one projectile should do it! g
--
Jim in NC

Old December 21st 05, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

You don't need a combination; only one of those gunbarrels, and umm, I
would
say one projectile should do it! g
--
Jim in NC

I'm doubting my equipment would be nearly as much fun after the projectile
hit.

Dave

Who once had the privilege of touring the USS Wisconsin before it was
decommissioned.

Old December 22nd 05, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"LCT Paintball" wrote in message

You don't need a combination; only one of those gunbarrels, and umm, I
would
say one projectile should do it! g
--
Jim in NC

I'm doubting my equipment would be nearly as much fun after the projectile
hit.

Are you kidding? A Bridgeport would not even be scratched. I'm sure it
would take a several megaton explosion to even scorch the paint! vbg

Same goes with all of the other stuff you probably have in there.

One of these days, I'm going to get cozy with someone who really knows their
way around a machine shop. I'm a quick study for all things mechanical, and
would really like (and appreciate) the chance to learn how to do some stuff.

I've hacked around some of our equipment at our HS, but we don't teach
machining anymore, and there is not anyone who really knows how to use the
equipment. I am the closest thing to an authority, and that is sad. I
taught myself a few things, almost trial by error.

By the way, I'm officially envious. ;-))
--
Jim in NC

Old December 22nd 05, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

someone wrote:

One of these days, I'm going to get cozy with someone who really knows their
way around a machine shop.

Perhaps by being polite, even when disagreeing, you might one day obtain
such an invitation.

Jon (whose shop just acquired a new HAAS machining center to replace one
of the Bridgeport CNC mills) in California
Old December 22nd 05, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Smitty Two wrote:
someone wrote:

One of these days, I'm going to get cozy with someone who really knows their
way around a machine shop.

Perhaps by being polite, even when disagreeing, you might one day obtain
such an invitation.

Jon (whose shop just acquired a new HAAS machining center to replace one
of the Bridgeport CNC mills) in California

So when are ya gonna get the good stuff like Central Machinery?
Y'know, I could get hurt asking questions like that

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old December 23rd 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article UuAqf.67976$sg5.36718@dukeread12,
"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote:

So when are ya gonna get the good stuff like Central Machinery?
Y'know, I could get hurt asking questions like that

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I really don't know anything about the hobby machines, but I've always
been curious. In many cases I'm sure I could live with some reduction of
power and precision, - at least for making airplane parts - but I'd
suffer without the automation.

When digital readouts came along, I thought we were in tall cotton. Then
we got the Bridgeport EZ traks (cnc) and we felt like we'd emerged from
the dark ages. I don't think I could dial off a bolt circle anymore, let
alone use a rotary table to make an arc. And I can't remember the last
time we rotated a rotating vise.

I don't think the machining center is going to have an advantage over
the EZ trak for making one or two parts, but it'll sure speed up
production work.

Anyway for now, I don't have room (or money) at home for a machine, so
I'll have to continue to make the 3 1/2 mile drive down to the shop when
something that can't wait til Monday needs more than a file or a hand
drill.